1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Recoilless - Why It didn't catch on?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sigraph, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Browning Recoilless - Why It didn

Curious why this gun kinda faded away. I shot one at the grand in Vandalia the first year they came out and it kicked like a Daisy BB gun. Was there a reliability problem or something?

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Heavy and not well balanced.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

4. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Not to mention real ugggggggggggggglllllllllyyyyyyyyyy!! Tom Rhoads

5. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

sigriph you had to have very nimble fingers to load and unload and almost imposable to use gloves lift bolt pull back and catch hull all with one hand.a little tough to do.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

The gun did suppress felt recoil a lot. That was good. But the gun had a terrible trigger and seemed to require a lot of time getting repaired.

Pat Ireland

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The trigger sucked. If the trigger had been even close to good, I would be shooting one today. The least recoil in any gun I've ever shot.

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I think the real reason it did not catch on was Browning's lack of support and mmarketing for this gun. They only produced it two years and marking was almost nil. Once the complaints or crititisms starting coming in, they did nothing to refine or improve it, which they could have done. You can look back at several Browning trap guns that did not remain on the scene after a brief appearance, such as the BT-99 Plus, BT-100, BT Max, ST-100 and see the same lack of marketing.

At one time I had four of these guns, 2-30 inch standards, 1-27 micro and 1-27 standard. All of them had the trigger smoothed and I never had one of them break. They all shot well and after the trigger work. I could smoke birds with the best of the highend guns. I could operate the bolt left handed better than some could right handed. I think because they were something new and radical from the "accepted norm" they did not catch on. You can see this going on presently with the Beretta UGB25.

I can remember the grawfuls, ridicule and laughter when things like adjusable combs and high ribs came out in the 70's. Trap shooters are not the type to accept something new. It is only of late some are taking the approach benchshooters have taken for years and that is shooting a gun that wins scores, no matter how "ugly" it looks.

I still have one Recoil-less, I will never sell it. It allowed me to get back into trapshooting after a 15 year layoff because of recoil. I am sure some are asking if they are so great why did I sell the other 3? I am now a senior citizen and I am trying to get rid of stuff I have collected over the years, and some things have to go.

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

The Browning recoilless is the only gun I can think of that makes the aesthetics of a Ljutic look good. : )

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

They had a reputation as being a piece of junk in my area. It seems everyone that owned one was always having to fix it or get it fixed. As I remember the cocking device was very poor.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Their's a girl comes around with one every week, shotts it pretty darn good.

There were several guys with shoulder operations using them till they healed up, Maybe they passed just a couple guns around.

The bad things about them were bad, but they had some good points.

HM

12. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I had one...never thought the trigger was bad...the long "lock time" was more illusion than real. My Recoilless took me from B to AA. I sold mine when I wanted to try to focus all my efforts on shooting one gun really well (XT). The Recoilless would soak up those AA Super Handicap Loads like they were .410's...I hope I don't regret selling it one day...although if I do, I suppose I can find another.

bluedsteel

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Did not balance well, Bbl heavy, extremely lousy trigger, breaking down frequently. and UUUUggglllllyyy

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. Rick Barker

I never had a problem swinging mine, however I am around 200 lbs and used to lift weights. I never have really thought much about trigger pull, when you are trained to used a double action revolver with a 10-13 lb trigger pull and practice with it month after month, the trigger on any shotgun seems light to me. I shot the 27 for 16's and the 30 for handicap. The 27 was faster and better balanced, but the heavy weight forward on the 30 made for a smoother swing at yardage.

15. Rick Barker

twostraight.........

Look at the advertising in any magazine aimed at trapshooing, sporting clays or skeet, of Browning/Winchester and Remington vs. Beretta, Perazzi, Krieghoff, Cesar Guerini, Blaser and you can see why there are few Brownings, Winchesters and Remingtons on the trap lines.

I think more people want high end guns because they want to be able to replace it sameday with the same new gun, or at least buy parts for their old gun, plus they have a better resale.

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Along this line, why did the single shot Remington 870 "gas type" pumper go away? I heard that was a very serious and good gun.

17. vatrap

vatrap Member

Like a lot of other guns with unique features, it was a lack of poor marketing and a few limits in the original design. I have one and still do, as long as it works I'll keep it and if it breaks down I'll try to find another. I picked one up after suffering some tendon damage a couple of years ago. I had the lock/trigger smoothed up and it was a marked improvement. It allowed me to keep shooting while I healed up. I never shot it really well but my wife shoots it now and is doing very well with it.

A couple of things that I had done to mine made real improvements. Some of the things the factory did, really didn't make sense.

1. Greg Hissem cut the stock for an adjustable comb. The factory adjustment allowed the stock to rotate in about a 20 degree arc up or down which changed the height of the comb but altered the pitch at the same time?

2. I had the trigger and lock worked over and a couple of the springs replaced which improved the lock time and trigger feel. It seems to be about like a factory trap 1100 now, I don't have any real way to measure it, but that's what it seems like to me.

3. I added a Jones pad adjuster, the factory setup allowed for some adjustment for moving the pad up or down but no real LOP or left/right adjustment. My wife shoots it as short as I could get it and I put the Jones one on for her, I shot it with a Graco LOP unit and got it to fit pretty well for me.

I really think that if they could have kept in in production long enough to get to a second version and fixed a couple of shortcomings in the design it may have lasted longer, of course the $3000+ price tag didn't help any. I have never shot any other gun with less felt recoil though.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning recoiless
browning recoiless shotgun

browning recoilless

browning recoilless shotgun

browning recoilless trap
browning recoilless trap gun
browning recoilless trap shotgun

recoilless shotgun