1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

browning recoilless trap?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Billster, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billster

Billster TS Member

At the FFL last night picking wassername's new BT-99 Micro and Tom says 'Lookit this - just came in. Browning Recoilless Trap.' He takes this huge thing off the rack and hands it to me. High rib ('yup...it's a trap alright') beyond that, WTF? Never heard of it. No recoil he says. Shoulders nice and swings nice. Rattle trap just swinging it around. Sort of a bolt action. Beyond me. Anyone shoot one of these? Googled it and link to one is above.

Browning stopped prod. in '95. Gimme a break action fersure.

Bill

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

They look a little different, there were problems with upkeep but they were properly named. They were very near recoilless. If parts are getting hard to find I would never consider getting one. They seemed to need lots of parts replaced.

Pat Ireland

3. Billster

Billster TS Member

That was my thought. After maintaining her 1100 I wondered what was entailed keeping that thing running. Interesting experiment on the part of Browning though methinks. He's asking $899 - looks like a good price for a collectible. Like new.

thanks Pat.

b

4. Piper Mac

Piper Mac Member

I remember them, have not seen one in several years. Local shooter had rotator/shoulder problem and shot one. I think you had to 'pump' it for the first shot? It did like it advertised and had no recoil. After production stopped, they were selling them for around 350 or 400 dollars if I remember right.

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Indiana Gun Club has three of them for sale ??

6. welderman

welderman TS Member

They look strange. They are nearly recoiless. I have found mine to be very reliable. A lot of things move inside the gun when it goes bang, and you have to learn to live with some strange noises. They appear to have a rather long lock time. The action recocks itself after each shot, so if you shoot very light loads, you may find it doesn't recock. Finally, people have said that you should cock the action by pushing the barrel against a rubber pad. The cocking lever is prone to break if used frequently. Tom S. (welderman)

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I have a new, never fired in box with all accessories and papers. Got it from a relative before they passed. I have no rememberance of him shooting it, he would have mentioned something, he started to get recoil sensitive before he died and if he did shoot it, it surely does not look it.

I've held on to it and never fired it.I thought it might be a collectors piece someday. I have my own trap guns and it has never interested me.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I had one and sold it. Very slow lock time. Maybe a release would have been the way to go with the gun. But, I don't know if anyone ever made one. Soft shooter, very little recoil.

9. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

The biggest problem is getting the second shot off in doubles!!! They are a heavy gun compared to some I have shot. The recoilless adjusts many different ways and can be tailored to a shooter. They do make a lot of noise like a semi automatic. The barrel thrusts out and flies back to re cock the action. The forearm is thin wood so it is susceptible to breaking first. They are similar to shooting a bolt action shotgun, only louder. I have taken one to the range and had many experienced shooters line up to try it. After shooting mostly break open guns, it was a surprise to hit most of the target aimed at it(it is to long for me). The 27" seems long and I haven't shot the 30" yet but assume it would be heavier and need a long armed shooter. If you are near Omaha, let me know and I will let you shoot a 27" model. Omaha

10. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Had ome did not seem to be consistant in shot after shot shooting,never set it where someone can touch it they try to cock it and break a $30 part also need a factory set of tools to clean it(brake down)and for lastly if you reload does not like heavy loads and a errant single shot(#8piece of lead0 can freeze it up.Have talked to others who had one and all seem to say like wise.But will always generate lots of talk around rifle rack. Jon

11. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Browning recoilless=grief and malfunctions. Stay away. If they were that great, Browning would still be making them. Hard to resale to the seasoned shooter. Todd Nelson

12. Billster

Billster TS Member

I'll leave it on the rack at the shop.

B

13. imissone

imissone TS Member

I own one and when I use a ligh load the gun will not cycle. I am shooting 7/8oz loads at 1200fps and it cycles great.the gun cycles at 1150fps or faster. You can take them apart to clean. I can break it down in 5min. The recoil spring broke so I had to take it apart to replace it. I even got the bolt out and clean that. The only part I haven't taken apart yet is the trigger. Anybody got the directions to take that apart? I take it apart twice a year to clean, the other times I oil and wipe it down. It's a great gun to shoot. No recoil and after a 100 rounds your not sore. I have a very bad back and when I shoot a bt99,870,model 12, beretta 682 my back was hurting me. I have tried the auto loaders too and they were not that bad with my back.

imissone

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

The lack of recoil, despite the mechanical problems, can make this gun good for a few shooters. A PFS is another device that can work about as well as the Browning recoilless without the other problems.

Pat Ireland

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Pat Ireland: I don't think there is any comparison. I have a PFS on my Ljutic, and owned a Browing Recoiless. The Browning was far superior to the PFS, or for that matter any type of recoil device. It just had a lot of other problems. The only other gun which had very low recoil, but, still not as good as the Browning was the Ljutic Space gun. I've owned all the above and shot every target load you can buy through them. The Browning was the best of everything I have ever tried, and I think I have tried every type of recoil reducing system or device ever dreamed up.

16. DocJim

DocJim Member

Been shooting one for about 1.5 years. No problem except failure to cock with light loads. I agree with previous poster that any load of 1150fps or greater will function just fine. I too have a shoulder problem and they are superior to the autoloaders in recoil received. They had one update; if the gun had the update there was an asterick,*, placed just over the loading port after script telling about shells to use.

The forends did tend to crack with cocking but this was usually caused by overzealous cocking; push the lever down until you hear it click and no more. You can also put an extended choke on it and press it against the floor, wall, etc until you hear the click and prevent any wear on your fore-end.

Mine is a 30" barrel; I'm 5'8" with short arms and it is little barrel heavy. I've shot a 27" and it moves to the target much better and would be by choice if I were getting another. ..................JIm

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have seen 3 at the yearly local gun show in my area, they have been trying to get rid of them, the dust is getting thick on the worn boxes, but they have been asking 700.00 for them about 5 years now. Non of them will budge????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

books on maintaining a browning trap gun

browning recoilless

browning recoilless trap

browning recoilless trap 12 ga

browning recoilless trap cost new

browning recoilless trap gun review