1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Recoilless Forend - Redesigned... want 1?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mako72401, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mako72401

mako72401 Member

Ok, A little history...

A while back I bought a Browning Recoilless Trap. Standard size, 27" barrel. But none of that really matters, as the main point is that like almost all of them, the forend has developed a crack. It was there and barely visible when I bought it, just thought it would be an interesting "Safe Queen". Well, it turns out that my wife LOVES shooting it, and now that the crack has spread to the point I am afraid to shoot it anymore, she is broken hearted. I am sure you have all heard the saying "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"?

Well... I am trying to get it replaced/repaired. MGW has some on gunbroker new for over $400. Hate to spend that on one that will most likely crack again.

So I have talked to a custom stock maker not too far from me. He does REALLY AMAZING work. He really looked it over and came up with some ideas to make a new one which is better and stronger. He will add more "meat" to the bottom of it, something like a palm swell near the front where it cracks. As well as a schnaebel type "lip" to the very front edge where it cracks also. Will probably drastically increase the strength and make it functional again, without worrying about it cracking any minute.

He told me $300-350 to make one. But the mill he uses will make 4 at once. So, if I can get him pre-orders for all 4, it will drop the price to about $200 each.

FYI, these will be basic walnut with no checkering unless you want it for more $$$. Also these will be unsanded and unfinished. But, to me for $200, I can finish it myself and have an item that she can use to shoot with. I will have the original to put back on just for looks if needed (although not sure why I ever would).

So... Is anyone interested in one of these? You can email me or call if you want more information. My father does really fine/detail woodworking (dulcimers, musical instruments, etc.) He can do finish work although I am not at all sure about a price.

Please let me know if you want more information or are interested. Those of you who have a wife who shoots with you... you know how it is. More expensive for 2 to shoot trap, but I get to shoot more if she can also!

Thanks for your time!!!

Jim Magee
    jbmagee@gmail.com
    870-926-3909

2. mako72401

mako72401 Member

unfortunately no pictures or drawings as he has not made 1 yet. I am just having to take this guy at his word. But, I have seen his other work, and he is pretty well known. Has stuff sent to him from all over the country. His initial thoughts are to add about 1/4"-3/8" to the front half of the forend in a sort of palm swell, as well as the schnaebel lip.

From my discussion with him, I am envisioning something along the lines of a profile like what is on a Franchi Spas 12 (kind of like i added in the pic below?), but with the schnaebel lip at the front edge. He was really particular about making it look nice and stay with the lines of the gun.
    [​IMG]

3. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I am curious about the cracking issue. I owned a Browning Recoiless for about two years, and registered about 6,000 targets with it, without a hiccup. My forend never cracked. As those that own one know, the forend is hinged, and if it is overextended when it is released for cocking, the front edge of the forend could be damaged if pressed against the metal hinge...kind of like opening a door too far.

I placed a strip of rubber from a stick-on cheekpiece over the front of the forend, the purpose of which was to cushion any inadvertant blow to the front of the forend.

Anyway, where are others experiencing cracks in their forends?

bluedsteel

4. mako72401

mako72401 Member

I think the cracking is mainly caused by in-experienced users of the gun putting too much pressure on the forend when trying to cock it. Most will try to push it all the way closed when trying to cock the barrel back for the first shot. As you know you have to stop and let the little lever release before closing all the way. Other than NIB, I have not seen one that isn't cracked at the very front edge.

5. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I have one with many thousands of rounds through it, and the forearm is not cracked.

6. mako72401

mako72401 Member

Well, once it cracked, we are kind of past the point of prevention... Also, for many of the smaller, weaker people who like these guns because of the low recoil, they may not have the upper body strength to cock it with the barrel. My wife is one of those.

7. mako72401

mako72401 Member

So no one else is interested in going in on these with me?

8. locdoc

locdoc Member

Jim,

I owned a Recoilless at one time. Had the same trouble. If I remember correctly either fiberglass or epoxy was used to repair mine.

I don't know of one, but there may be a Browning discussion forum out in cyberland somewhere. If there is then you might get a more positive response there. Wouldn't hurt to check it out.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.