1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Recoilless buffer - anyone try to DIY ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SKB-Eric, Aug 6, 2013.

1. SKB-Eric

SKB-Eric Member

Noticed a few hiccups with one of my Browning recoilless. Occasional hang fires and failure to cycle even with a handicap load. Took the trigger plate out and found a couple chunks of yellow rubber bits. So I took off the stock and founds lots of little chunks of the yellow rubber packed in around the big recoil spring that is in the stock. Looks to be bits of the buffer that sits at the back of the receiver. The buffer is available online from MWG for under $20.

Question is, has anyone ever taken their recoilless apart to remove the bolt to get to this buffer and if so, how easy is it to do? I am not afraid to pull it apart myself if it can be done without too much trouble or special tooling. Otherwise everything works fine with the shotgun.

Thanks - Eric

2. SKB-Eric

SKB-Eric Member

100 views and no replies? Guess nobody has taken one apart successfully.

:)

Eric

3. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

Do you have a FAX number, I have information to break the recoilless down for cleaning. I had a couple but it took two to keep one working, shot it very well but didn't like the break downs. My info might help you take it apart. Jerry

4. SKB-Eric

SKB-Eric Member

Thank you Jerry - I just sent you a PM with my FAX number and email.

Eric

UPDATE:
    I received the info from Jerry and it is exactly what I needed to open up the action to get at and replace the buffer. Thank you very much!

5. SKB-Eric

SKB-Eric Member

Thanks to Jerry, I was able to learn how to take the recoilless apart. The trouble was the recoil buffer which had disintegrated and the bits and pieces were causing the binding of the bolt and failure to cycle properly.

Here is a pic of the new recoil buffer and what was left of the old one.

Thanks again to Jerry for the help!

Eric

[​IMG]

6. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

Glad to help out a fellow shooter. Jerry

7. wangster152

wangster152 TS Member

While you have it apart you should replace the O-ring. I have a recoilless and every 5K or so shots (I shoot handicap loads and a lot of games) the O-ring needs replaced. It does not look damaged but it goes bad for some reason. I bought the identical one from a hardware store and replace them every 6 months now. When it goes the gun will not recook itself it fires and comes back but does not cock.

Search tags for this page

browning recoiless trap shotgun

browning recoilless

browning recoilless trap

diy spring buffer

how to take apart a browning recoilless shotgun

recoilless action buffer