1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning recoiless trap gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pens1992, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pens1992

pens1992 TS Member

Hi a guy had a browning recoiless trap gun at the club tonight I shot it it did what it said no recoil I was thinking about buying it for my wife it looked like new for $800.00 how do they hold up are they problematic any info would be great Thanks Don

2. I have shot Browning Recoiless Shotguns since 1996, 4 in all, $800.00 is a good price. My first recoiless was the red monster- approximately 60k through it, forearm cracked, 2nd was 32in with pretty walnut stock, has 120k through with no problems, #3 was bought for $925.00 for youngest son who started shooting at 12yrs old- 7/8 oz loads, at 14 still shoots 7/8 oz load -ave 21, the only problem was a damper washer behind the bolt cracked and gun wouldn't cock- $4.00 for the washer and approximately 2 hrs to replace. #4 was bought when my oldest son shot mine and broke good scores, this gun has approximately 3k shells through it with no problems, grandson been shooting this yr. The bolt handles loosens and needs to be tightened up, the other problem I have found is when the bolt dosen't want to close dirt is built up in in reciever ring, dental pick cleans out just fine. It's a good gun just different from what most folks are use to seeing.

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

for the same money- buy a used beretta 391 par. target RL , put the recoil reducer in the stock for $40 and you will have a gun for all kinds of shooting ! i wudnt mind owning that browning for the sake of "i aint got one"!

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

There is another post on there also about Browning Recoiless. I have a brand new, 30", never shot, in box, all paper work, never been touched accesories, adj. lop, Recoiless if your interested. I've aquired it through a death in the family. It's been in the box. I have no need for it. I've been shooting a BT-99 and a Citori Trap for years. I can only shoot but so many at one time. PM me if your wife need a gun.

5. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

I agree with acss I have shot 25 targets with this browning and it is one of the sorryiest guns ever

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i am not against the browning and as i said , will probably own one for the sake of owning one! but the 391 i spoke of is a lil more all around gun and with great resale! hey spanky- what are you asking for it send me a pm

7. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

funny i bought one yesterday, shot it today, i couldn't hit anything but didnt know where it shot absolutely no recoil none, zero like shooting a 22 i couldnt believe it.it never ceases to amaze me people on here are quick to jump all over every thing, 800 bucks? guys on here spend that on a case but expect a gun in that price range to digest 100000 rounds without incident
    Shoot when you can, shoot what you can, shoot what you have, this is the recipe for success A GREAT GUN DOES NOT MAKE A GREAT SHOOTER!!!!we all know thousands of shooters who have serious guns but are not serious shooters.
    CONFIDENCE AND ABILITY DETERMINE THE SCORE, NOT WHAT IS INSCRIBED ON THE BARREL!

8. If you are looking for the best overall gun buy a Remington 870 Wingmaster Trap or Field Grade 12ga.,put a reducer, Remington Gel Pad and use light load. Very low maintenance, very reliable, parts available at most gun shops.
    If you want the lowest recoil trap gun buy the recoiless you don't have to purchase a recoil reducters,shock absorbers, add weights to gun barrels, or port the barrels to lessen felt recoil.

Here is an article that was published a number of years ago on how to shoot trap, more should read it before making claims about the the worst gun ever shot. I could be mistaken but Vic had a million registered ATA Targets.

SHOTGUN CLINIC

Sponsored by MILWAUKEE SENTINEL

At the Waukesha Gun Club

These instructional notes were compiled for distribution at the Milwaukee Sentinel

Shotgun Clinic, conducted by the Waukesha Gun Club, as a service to shooters.

THE FUNDAMENTALS OF SHOTGUN SHOOTING

By: Vic Reinders, Secy.
    Waukesha Gun Club

To hit any moving target-duck, clay target, rabbit, or airplane with any kind of missile shot, bullet, arrow or snowball only three things are necessary for success. These three fundamentals are Swing, Lead and Alignment.

Swing consists of keeping the point of aim moving at the same rate as the target.

Lead means to shoot ahead of the target, not at it, to allow for the distance the target travels while the shot gets there.

Alignment means to move the gun in the same path as the target, not in some intersecting path.

Only these three things are necessary. Anything else we do body position, gun position: relaxation, using two eyes, going to bed early the night before, or the other dozen things “experts” write about merely makes it easier to swing, lead and keep proper alignment. So it turns out that these are the things we have to work on.

Stance - We will assume you are right handed. Left handers reverse directions.

1. Face about 20-30 degrees to the right of where you will shoot.
    2. Keep your feet close together, not more than a few inches between your heels
    3. Bow, by breaking or bending at the waist. Let your rear end stick back enough to balance your brains. When bowing, don't drop your head, nor hold it up, just let it go with your body. You will always do it correctly if you close your eyes.

Gun Position - Holding your gun properly and loosely in both hands.

1. Raise it with both hands at once, keeping the barrel pointing up about 10 degrees, until it is level with your face.
    2. Slide it back toward your shoulder so that the comb of the stock slides gently along your cheek just under your cheekbone. This positions the gun exactly with respect to your eye every time unless either you or the gun is a freak. It also guides the stock to the proper place on your shoulder. Note you position your stock to your face" not to your shoulder. Never place your gun on your shoulder and then bring your face down to it.

3. Do not pull your gun back hard against your shoulder, just so it touches lightly. You will feel the kick less this way and your muscles will be relaxed. Mounting your gun this way positions your gun to your eye exactly right every time, so you need pay no more attention to the gun. You just look in the right place ahead of the target and the gun automatically points there.

Eyes - Keep both eyes open if possible. You should be able to point a gun with both eyes open just like you can point your finger with both eyes open. Don't aim a shotgun any more than you aim your finger. You point both, while looking at the target, not at your gun or finger.

If you happen to have a master left eye, it is generally best to shoot left handed.
    Or you can shoot with one eye. Each of these cases is best handled individually.

Relaxation and Mental Attitude. Keep loose all over.

1. Don't grip your gun or pull it back hard into your shoulder. The gun should just lay in your hands.

2. Don't yell when you call for the target. Sing it out P=U=L=L.

3. Don't think if you can help it. Definitely don't think about the target you just missed" The best shot in the world would be the man with no brains at all so he couldn't think.

4. Don't be embarrassed by missing. You’re not so important that everybody will be watching you. Anyway, those people did the same thing themselves.

Safety, Courtesy, etc.

1. Don't close your gun until you are about to shoot.
    2. When shooting targets, do not put the safety on at all, as you do not close your gun until ready to shoot anyway. In hunting, always keep the safety on.
    3. Don't shoot at broken targets, but then remember your gun is loaded while waiting for the next target.

9. jhoward

jhoward Member

I've never owned a recoiless, but I've shot a few over the years. There used to be a few shooters in this area that shot them. The only observation that I would point out is that these guns were not made to shoot anything heavier than trap loads. Using heavier loads will greatly increase wear and accelerate breakage. I would hesitate to recommend one for someone who intends to shoot games with it.

10. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have 4 of the Browning Recoil Less guns, two of them are 30 inch barrels, the other two are 27's, one with a micro stock, which is ideal for a young shooter or a lady. Yes they have a bad rep in regards to trigger pull, but all of mine have been smoothed by a Browning gunsmith and the locktime on this gun is much like any good bolt action should be. They are muzzle heavy, but I have found that is a great help to help one develop a smooth swing. I quit shooting for 15 years because of a bad shoulder. I started 10 years ago with a 30 inch recoil less and how am shooting a Ljuctic Pro 3 LTX. The Browning takes some getting use to, but it does make it easy to shoot a standard trap load without pain. If you don't start your lady with a Recoil less, then you might want to look at the Winchester Super X2 & 3 in Sporting Clays models. They will cycle with a 7/8 or 1 oz load and are very easy to handle for any new shooter. One thing about a Recoil less, it won't cycle with some 1 oz loads and never with a 7/8.

11. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

had mine out tonight in the pouring rain, i finally managed to get it dialed in, ran 50 straight like there where standing still, never have i had a gun that felt so effortless to smash targets. i was going to send the stock away to have an adjustable comb put in but i read the manual and figured out how to adjust to where i want it, why doesn't elite trap guns have this system? I think the recoiless was way ahead of it's time. its recoiless properties shade that of the precision fit, don't knock it till you try it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning recoiless resale
browning recoilless locktime

browning recoilless shotgun for sale

browning recoilless trap for sale
browning recoilless trap gun
browning recoilless trap gun for sale

browning recoilless trap single review

low recoil trap shotgun