1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Recoiless shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jrob103021, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrob103021

Jrob103021 TS Member

Whats is the story with these guns
    Called Browning direct and no one would even talk with me about this gun gave me a # of the only service rep in the us and he didnt want to talk to me are these just out dated junk and not worth the money was interested in buying it until this happened
    Now i`m not sure
    any body got any ideas
    Jerry Roberge NREMT-P

2. RAScott

RAScott Member

I shoot with a guy that shoots one, he shoots it well, but he owns 2 of them. He shoots one, and has one for parts. for what its worth.

Bob S

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I think you either love them or hate them.. I wouldnt mind owning one..

4. DocJim

DocJim Member

I have one and like the gun, particularly when I get a little tendinitis in the shoulder. I have the 30" barrel and it is a little muzzle heavy. I've been told the 27", or is it a 28", swings to the target a little better. The multiple adjustments are great to get the gun to fit. Some say they have a very slow lock time but personally I've never noticed any difference. Taking it apart is not for the faint of heart but there have been instructions published on this site detailing the procedure. For what it's worth I've never had any mechanical problems but I'm not a high volume shooter. ..................AJ

5. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The Browning Recoilless was a Trap gun that was brought out in the mid '90s. It only lasted three years, 1993-1995.

The premise behind the gun was to create a Trap gun that significantly reduced recoil. It worked, but it's a complicated gun. A combination of looks, feel and price drove it out of the market before it ever really got started.

I've shot one a few times. I didn't notice any difference in lock time. It's probably the same lock time as a BPS. Still, it functioned nicely and I shot a good score with it.

6. jrb100

jrb100 Member

I bought one off a club member about a month ago at at good price 27" barrel.It had lots of adjustments and it fit me great,BUT if you are used to shooting a shotgun with an average trigger as I do(model 12).You will have to adjust your poi to suit the slow locktime.You can not move to the target the same way you would with most guns because of it.I tried selling mine on here with no luck.I brought it to a local gunshop and it sold in 2 days.To each there own,thats just my experience.

joe

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I believe they had a problem with the forearm cracking. I have shot one and as stated before, it actually works. It was one of if not thee lightest recoil gun i have ever shot. I didn't like the way it cocked like a BB gun. Way too complicated for my taste. Someone had a neat idea though.

Matt

8. vatrap

vatrap Member

I have one, used to have 2 of them. It's a great starter gun to be able to get a complete fit for somebody, especially someone that is small stature or recoil sensitive. My wife shot mine for a year and when she became confident enough in her abilities converted to an 1100 with a custom Wenig stock.

Scares the average turkey (card) shooters to death when you show up with one, fairly entertaining. I was asked not to bring it back to one shoot after winning a couple of turkeys and a ham in one night.

Mike

9. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

It is kind of a weird gun. You initially cock it with the forearm, which pivots at the front, and is held by a latch toward the rear. You can save the wear and tear on the forearm (which some say is prone to breakage), by pushing the barrel into the receiver to cock it. It is a bolt action gun, which is kind of unique. The barrel jumps forward when you fire it, which is supposed to negate some of the rearward recoil. It then returns to the cocked position, where you can eject the spent shell, load it, and fire again. I wouldn't say it was outdated junk, but I wouldn't pay a lot for one either.

10. missed some

missed some TS Member

the guys i knew who had them said they were kinda like a boat, or to put into perspective...the happiest 2 days of your life, the day you buy one, and the day you sell it.

11. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

With all that has been said, which I feel is accurate. Having shot one, my experience was it was far too nose heavy. I think that was it's downfall. Bruce

12. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I owned one for a little over two years and enjoyed shooting it. I sold it when I felt I needed to concentrate on shooting one gun, which happened to be a Browning XT.

In my opinion, the lock time wasn't slower, it just seemed slower. I shot the Recoiless interchangeably with my XT, and I never felt I needed to make any lead adjustments due to "lock time".

I put over 4,000 rounds through the gun with no problems...no cracks, no failures, etc. I handled the forearm carefully whenever I unhinged it.

I never found the need to disassemble the gun, and its myriad adjustments were very useful for fitting and adjusting POI.

Mine was the 27" model.

And yes, the gun had very little recoil. I could shoot Nitro 27's all day with ease.

Most people who "trash" the Recoiless have never owned one. I would recommend the gun without reservation.

bluedsteel

13. missed some

missed some TS Member

you sure don't see many of em, funny thing is people who recomend, don't have one anymore hmmmm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.