1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Ports

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AWC, Aug 19, 2013.

1. AWC

AWC Member

Yesterday I got squaded beside a shooter with a Browning O/U with Browning Ports in doubles and after the first 50 I had all I wanted. I don't know if these bother other shooters but they do bother me. AWC

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

you need some sensitivity training...not a big deal

3. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

I've noticed the same thing re: Brownings.

4. EdSy

EdSy Active Member

Maybe I need "sensitivity training" too, but I find it amazing that Browning decided to offer clay target doubles only with ports. Especially in light of a thread that ran here a day or two ago where the responses were overwhelmingly against ports! I guess I'll stay with my older Beretta 682s until I can find a Browning w/o ports. -Ed

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Yes it is a big deal. The Browning xt's with porting will flat hurt your ears even with ear plugs. Every shooter that has them at our club makes a lot of noise. My shooting partner has one and I had to quit shooting with him because standing right next to him was unbearable

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Darn, I thought it was just me and my earplugs were worn out.

7. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Thats the main reason I will not buy a Browning,went with Perazzi,a much better gun ,IMO

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

maybe its desensitivy training....only time I've ever had anothers Browning porting noticeably that annoying was in a short barrel 28" or less and using those 3dram "Dove/multipurpose" loads

9. abigbear

abigbear Member

They are not near as bad as the Benelli SuperSports! That's the loudest clay gun that I have ever heard. I shoot an XT and i don't think its as loud as some other guns. Bruce

10. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I think you need to learn how to put ear plugs in right, or get good ear plugs.

"Gotta love cranky ole trap shooters"

Kenny U.

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Just because it doesn't bother a couple of people everyone has to put up with it?

12. lostandout

lostandout Member

if anyone would like to buy me me a new gun so i dont have to shoot my xt and get my porting all over you i would be happy to shoot it

brian

13. Bill T

Bill T Active Member

Ported trap guns are as common as dog crap in a kennel. I think the problem is poor hearing protection, not "loud" guns. Low pressure trap loads are nothing fired in a ported shotgun. Go to a high powered rifle range and watch and listen as these guys shoot .300 Win. Mags. equipped with muzzle brakes. Then you'll have something to really gripe about.

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Why, just last night, I shot next to a guy with an 870 and I swear, you could feel the ground shake. I'm glad I gave mine up, years ago.

Bob Falfa

15. Bob Butler

Bob Butler Active Member

I know of one XT that was ordered and delivered with out the ports. It took a while but was available.
    Does anyone know if the same is true for the 725?

16. Rubicon_Joey

Rubicon_Joey Active Member

I suggest if it really bothers you to watch this video. It really is helpful. (no sarcasm)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SPNPZJingZA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Those are the ear plugs I use.

I also shoot next to a guy that shoots a BT-100. It sounds like he is shooting magnum, three inch shells. Never really thought about the ports, until someone referenced them above. Have not felt the stinging plastic yet, but have not had a wind in the face yet either.

18. railman

railman Member

Just concentrate, you will find that you can block out the sound. OR get better ear protection and stop bitching.

19. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

Strange how Browning shooters with ported barrels make light of the annoyance they cause other shooters; much like auto shooters bouncing hulls off the shooter to their right. I cure these issues by never being on a squad with these inconsiderate shooters. The Browning porting must give their owners a bit of satisfaction in the amount of wind it blows up their skirts. It certainly doesn't do a thing for their shooting.

20. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It was time.....

grntitan_2009_2503207.jpg