Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Browning Pigeon Grade 410 Skeet F/S

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  sx1skeet 
#1 ·
Unfortunately, it most definitely IS a salt gun, and has considerable corrosion on the left side of the receiver directly behind the barrel where the stock contacts the receiver. There is also minor corrosion on the right side at the lower portion of the receiver.

Although many folks say no high grades were salt guns, I have seen a Midas salt gun, and a very high grade bolt rifle as well.

Hate to be a buzzkill, but I performed warranty service and repair for Browning right after this tragedy, and am very familiar with this.

I always tell folks that want a Browning Super, to get a LTRK (long tang round knob), BEFORE 1966. I have seen S7's (1967) with salt damage, and any STSK (short tang square knob) into the early 70's is suspect.

A "fancy" dealer in Nashville who "specializes" in Belgian Brownings once tried to sell me a severely corroded salt gun, looked me in the eye and told me it was engraving. When I asked him why it was rusted as well, he snatched the gun out of my hands and stomped off.

#5 ·
ysr racer, I don't remember any names, but from what I read on this site the short story is that a wood supplier that sold his wood to browning to make there guns with, decided to cut some corners. It takes a long time for wood to dry naturally the way good gun wood needs to dry. I have heard about one year for every one inch of thickness. Anyway he placed a large supply of wood in containers of salt. The salt did in turn dry out his wood very quickly, so he could get his investment back and make his money as well. The problem was that the salt took the mosture out of the wood, but also the wood pulled in the salt in the process. So if any metal comes in contact with this wood it will rust from the inside out. By the time you see damage on the outside of the metal there is far more damage on the inside. Break-em all. Jeff

#6 ·
Dear Esetter

I stand by what I said. I simply observed photos you provided. Take the stock off and look at the left upper tang above and ahead of the firing pin. Typical corrosion from a salt cured stock.

The stock may have been replaced, which Browning would have done under warranty to the original owner, but as a former employee of Browning at a regional repair center, I probably have more experience with this unfortunate state of affairs than most.

Salt guns got me out of collecting high grade Supers.

I am glad you sold the gun, and I hope the buyer is happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.