1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

browning or beretta combo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1ounceload, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1ounceload

1ounceload TS Member

need help deciding, i know some will says whichever you prefer. I know some of you have been there or had the experience. which would you buy the browning xt trap combo or the beretta 600 series (686 gold e or 687). The beretta's feel better, i also like the brownings.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

<a href="http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm301/ecshooter/?action=view┬Ąt=Fish_tricks.gif" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

[​IMG]

ss

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

how a gun feels or fits- is the answer!! if it makes you feel like more rocks will be broken--BUY it!!!!!!!!

4. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

You can't go wrong with either. If you are looking at an unsingle - both those B guns have had issues with the ribs coming loose, etc. - do some research on this site.

I see a lot more Browning than Beretta combos at the range. Hard to beat the XT in overall value. The Etchen 687 combos are slightly more expensive - those I have seen are very nice. They are 687 frames with 682 barrels. It will come down to fit and feel. I think the Beretta stock trigger is a little nicer.

Joe

5. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

I chose the Joel Etchen Special combo, after having it 2 years I can say it was the right choice for me. The Beretta fit me a lot better than the Browning I tried. Someone once told me the Beretta's tend to fit the short thick necked shooter while the Brownings fit the longer thin necked shooter, I definitely fit the short fat neck/head category.

JohnR

[​IMG]

6. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

John - now that is one pretty B gun....

Joe

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Beretta!!

Curt

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My son and I both have Beretta combos like John's, so I'm certainly partial to them but here's something to consider if you have lower back or arm/shoulder problems. Every new Browning break-open shotgun I've ever handled was super-stiff to open and close for the first few months or more of use, depending upon how much use they received. Berettas, on the other hand, don't exhibit that condition when new yet don't feel "loose" after some use. My son's is four years old, mine is 18 months old and they both fit and feel the same.

Both are good guns but I dislike the "boxy" look and feel of Browning Citori receivers and some of their forends.

Ed

9. 1ounceload

1ounceload TS Member

good info on the beretta 687 having 682 barrels didn't know that, thanks. i have the xt in the double and i like it. Have a beretta in top single 686 silver, it is beautiful. i like them both, for different reasons. i'm like most i have to watch my pennies.. is it possible to get a top single for the browning or overunders to fit the beretta. if i could fix either to make a combo i would be pleased. thanks guys for info.

10. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

You can get O/U barrels for the Beretta pretty easily had - in fact I think there is a set on gunbroker right now.

Single for the XT is trickier - but doable. You need to watch this site for when one comes available - they can only be had when a comb owner decides he no longer wants a combo.

Joe

11. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

ANd BTW - only the Joel Etchen combos have 682 bbls on a 687 receiver. That is "his" special order run from Beretta.

12. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

The 687 is prettier.

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The differences are largely cosmetic. The 682 Gold E has a contemporary engraving design depicting a planet and rings (or something futuristic-looking) while the 687 has a more standard pattern and is available in higher grades not available on the 682. The Silver Pigeon II grade is often seen on 687 guns and is the level of engraving on Joel Etchen's special runs of 687 trap combos equipped with the 682's optima barrels. They feature an upland bird scene on one side, a waterfowl scene on the other and a lot of tasteful scroll engraving all over. A photo of a 687 SPII receiver is below.

[​IMG]

Mechanically, the major difference is a position-adjustable trigger on the 682 but that can retrofitted to a 687 for about $100.

Ed

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I am a 682 guy but can't knock the XT. My decision making came down to which gun I liked the feel of and for me it was the Beretta. I liked my first 682x combo so well that I bought a second one (better condition).

You can save a bundle of money if you look around for a decent (95%) used gun and stay away from the useless bling of the gold series guns or the 687.

15. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I was shooting an XT but wanted an unsingle. I went to Omaha to look at the XT combos and to Pennsylvania to look at the Beretta 687 combos. It was an easy choice. I bought the Beretta. I am totally satisfied with it.

16. dimapower

dimapower Member

Like the smoother action and rear-bias balance of the Beretta over the XT.

17. shootsome

shootsome Member

The Beretta 687 Combos also don't have a locking screw to prevent you from accidently moving the barrel selector when opeing the gun. The 682 Gold E has the locking screw. I've seen shooters lose Doubles targets by having the barrels fire in the wrong order on the 687. The open choke instead of the tight choke gets accidently used on the second target. They didn't realize what was wrong until later after they lost quite a few targets.

18. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

the selector screw is a non issue, I have a 687 JE Combo and have NEVER, EVER switched the barrel selector by mistake, 5000 16 and H Cap targets a year for the last three years, never once pushed the selector by mistake. Conversely, having the screw installed basically makes it a fixed order shooter, I have never seen anyone take out the screw and switch the barrel firing order, most likely because they never have the screw driver....

19. shootsome

shootsome Member

Frank C. With only 5000 rounds through the gun it's still new and tight. Wait until it gets broken in and losens up. The barrel selector will start to move particularly if you use gloves when you shoot. They tend brush the barrel selector when opeing it. It's a poor design. That's why Beretta put the screw on their their better grade trap gun the 682 Gold E.

20. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Wrong 5000/year three yrs, the selector is NOT loose, something wrong with yours. and I DO use gloves.....I just tried it and it is hard to push, have to use your fingertip with pressure YRMV?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
baretta 686e trap combo

beretta 682 vs browning xt

beretta 682x trap combo
beretta 686 trap why is the selector screwed
beretta silver pigeon barrel selector will not move