1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning nitride finish discoloration

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OldGoat, Aug 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Looking at a Browning White Ligtning field/hunting gun. The receiver has areas of discoloration - gray/blackish stain? - on both sides just in front of the trigger guard. Very nice shape overall except for this. Perhaps it is the effect of the previous owner's hand - acid? Can this be removed? It it common among Brownings? Thanks for info in advance. Best Regards, Ed

2. Bridger

Bridger Member

I'd agree, probably acid from the previous owner. I had the same thing on a Krieghoff and it had to be refinished. You might try Art's Gun Shop.

3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I looked at several used XTs at the Cardinal Classic. All three had the same problem. One had a perfect fingerprint on top of the receiver.

I love the looks of the finish but it's durability needs improvement.

Regards....Gerald

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Sometimes Flitz polish will remove the tarnish. Maintaining a thin coat will preserve it.

Robert

5. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

This is not very nice but true. I have an XT that was laying across the tailgate of my truck while parked in the parking lot of our club and a blackbird (I saw it) deposited a LOAD on one side of my gun. I cleaned it immediately and it has a stain that I have not been able to remove.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

My cat peed in my open Americase without my knowing. I put my XT in and closed it. The next day I opened the case. Need I say more?

There is nothing you can apply to restore the finish. Just leave it alone and in a few weeks it will fix itself - in your mind. You'll get used to it and it won't bother you anymore.

7. OldGoat

All, thanks for the responses! Your comments pretty much confirm my thoughts...I have heard some Brownings stain when exposed to some handprints. The Flitz idea is a good one, but will have to get the seller to agree to let me use it. The difficulty in removing the discoloration may not work after all and I would be stuck with a gun needing refinishing. While I like the gun, I don't think I want to spend $$ on it...That said, I have 5 Brownings (2 XTs, 2 425s, and 1 325) but no staining on any of them. Best Regards, Ed

8. Fr. Bru

Fr. Bru TS Member

Dick... I'da shot the cat!

Fr. Bru

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I would try using a golf club cleaner / scrubber . It has a very fine abrasive molded in an eraser type block . Worked on some problems I had .

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Ljutic111: I tried some of that on my XT, didn't work.

Fr.Bru: Then my wife would've shot me.

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I don't know about the nitride finish, but I keep all ammonia based bore cleaners away from my nickel Bt-99. Ammonia attacks copper, and electroless nickel is the most common form of nickel plating on guns, and has a layer copper underneath it. Maybe nitride or titanium nitride has copper in it? Just a thought.

Wayne

12. OldGoat

Thanks again for the comments! Ed

13. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The nitrided finish on the Browning is a heat-treating process....somewhat similar to case hardening. The "finish" is just polished steel.

When the metal comes out of the furnace, it has a light brown dusting on it. This dusting is then polished off leaving the metal a bright "steel" color. It does need some care like you would with any gun. This harder polished surface does retard the chances of rusting but, it can rust, so keep a coat of oil on it.

What happens on ocassion is during the polishing process, especially around the edges, the polisher can cut through the hard skin into the softer metal below and those tarnished spots will show.

Using Flitz as was suggested above will blend those spots back to its original appearance. Haviing the receiver nitrided again may not gain you anything. It might show again.

14. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

The dark brown Browning luggage cases used to cause discoloration in the Browning bright receivers if you stored the gun in them. They were fine for short periods of time but if stored for longer periods it caused discoloration.

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you want the receiver a uniform color do this;

Purchase a small container of "STP for New Cars" - I might have the name wrong but it is the one for a new car

Take receiver off stock- and rub this goey stuff all over the receiver- there is some chemical that bonds to the surface and colors it a nice grey

Clean your receiver off after only a couple of minutes

It will work and it wont wear off easily at all- in fact you probably wont be able to get it off

Gene

PS- then pour the basically full container into your oil- even if your car isnt new

PPS- This also works on nickled receivers

16. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Ask for a discount,all he can say is no. Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

brown nitride finish

nitride harden stp 54-10

remove nitride finish