1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Loyac, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loyac

Loyac Member

What is it about the Browning Model 12 that makes it so popular? Would the 20ga be a good choice for a dove gun? John

2. wm rike

wm rike Member

I am unaware that they are popular. However, I have a Japanese Winchester M12 in 20 ga. I can say that it is better finished than the originals, inside and out, and has a far smoother action than any original I have picked up. Triggers are a little stiff from the factory, but a good smith can remedy that nicely. I like the interrupter on the trigger, though. Doves? Yeah, ought to be a great gun. Working a pump is bags of fun.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

What makes you think they are "so popular", I have not seen many of them around and if they were all that popular you would think they would be all over the place ... WPT ... (YAC) and fan of real Model 12's ...

4. markostrunk

markostrunk Member

The timing of the interrupter is what ruins these guns. You don't notice it much on the 20 ga M12 repros due to the recoil, but on the 28 and 410 the interrupters really cause the shooter to hesitate slightly before he can pump in the next shell. Original Winchester Model 12/42s didn't have interrupters. That's why the originals were so fast.

Other than than the interrupter issue, the M12 repros are fine.

5. big-o

big-o Member

I have a shooting buddie that purchased a Browning Model 12 rahter than a "real" one. The gun was "un-fired" in the box.He had problems with it feeding the second shell on doubles and the trigger was another story in itself.You almost had to jump up and down on the trigger to get it to fire.Browning would not even work on the gun! He finally found a gunsmith that helped with the feeding problem, but has not found anyone that will work on the trigger. The Brownings are nice looking but if you buy one, I hope that you don't have to haqve it worked on for any reason! HC

6. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I'm the "buddie" that has the 20 ga. Browning Model 12 that had/has feeding problems when trying to quickly eject one shell and chamber another.

Bought the gun unfired/new. Shot some skeet rounds and the gun has serious problems with cycling for a second shot. Sent to Browning after checking with them - then was informed they don't work on these guns any longer. Without approval or acknowledgment from me Browning sent the gun on to a non Browning location to have a gunsmith work on it. $150 later for work and shipping I got the gun back - better but not great.

Regarding the trigger, I was told it cannot be adjusted for trigger pull due to the interuptor. Mine breaks at a little over 6 lbs.

I should mention I also have a 28 ga Grade V and it does NOT exhibit the same feeding issues as the 20 ga. but the trigger pull is just as bad.

I would suggest if you're going to purchase the 20 ga. you get one in your hands to try it or make sure there is a three day "firing" inspection.

7. Loyac

Loyac Member

Maybe "popular" was an overstatement... I thank you all. John

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I owned a couple of them over the years and my triggers were bad but not 6 pounds. they were more like 4 pounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning model 12
browning model 12 info
browning model 12 review

browning model 12 reviews

browning model 12 vs winchester model 12
browning model 12 winchester for sale
troubleshoot winchester model 12 shell feeding problem
winchester m12 feed problems