1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Model 12 feeding problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I recently acquired a NIB Browning Model 12 in the 20 ga. ( Please, no cheap shots, I know it's not a "real" model 12.

The gun has a problem in that the shells don't feed into the chamber properly - almost as if the shell is moving up at too steep of an angle to allow it to be fed into the chamber. As the shell is being moved into the chamber, it seems to "stick" about 1/3 of the way in. When hand feeding the shells directly into the chamber there is no problem - no issue with swollen shells or bad/flared crimp.

Someone at the gun club suggested that the gun may be out of "time" ?

Reloaded shells or new AA skeet shells make no difference.

Was wondering if anyone who may have or had one of these guns has ever had an issue of this type and what the solution was.

As an aside, I also have a Browning Model 12 in 28 ga. which does not exhibit the same oondition.

Thanks in advance -

Noel

2. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

A few guys that shoot at our local skeet range stoped using AA's in their browning 12's because of various problems. They all change to sts's and the problems went away. If this doesn't work tie some fishing line to the trigger guard and use it for a boat anchor. (lol) :)

3. spritc

spritc Active Member

Take it to a good gunsmith and have him or her check the timimg. It's not a serious problem. If you get ready to make it a boat anchor, send it to me instead and I'll dispose of it properly.

Steve

4. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Browning Mod 12, 20 and 28 gauge guns are known to have this problem. I wouldn't send it to Browning. I had one, and after 3 trips to Browning, I gave up and traded it. Does it kick the second round on the ground? That's typically what they do.

5. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Had the same problem with the two I owned way back in 1993. A 20 and a 28. Both were screwed up. They WERE pretty but what a pain.

Tom(AJ100)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning model 12 issues

browning model 12 problems

browning model 42 feeding problems video

browning model 42 problems

model 12 feeding problems shells

repair browning model 12