1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning mod 12 20 ga problems

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tomlieb, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

I have a 20 ga Browning Model 12 grade V. Good looking gun, but has a consistant problem ejecting shells, it jams up and won't eject easily. I have read where this gun has the rep of doing this and I would like to get it fixed or sell it to someone who has more patience than I do. My question is do you know of a gunsmith that has been able to fix this problem and where do I find him? Its a great gun and I like it but no patience for the problems.
    Tom

2. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Tom, are you shooting reloads? What brand new shells? Some pumps don't like steel bases. If shooting reloads, is there a resizing adjustment issue?

3. Gentle Ben

Gentle Ben TS Member

Hi Tom if you are interested in selling the gun how much would you be looking for Thx Take care Mark

4. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

Sunday I was shooting factory loads, Remington field loads, it doesn't jam on everything, but is termental and when it doesn't eject, its a pain because you have to disassemble the gun and waste time getting it cleared. I would think that there is a gunsmith somewhere that is familiar with this problem, I have the same gun in 28 ga and never have a problem. I've read that the 20 ga models are known for this problem. Otherwise, $800 plus shipping and she's gone.
    Tom

5. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Is the problem on extraction? Or is it on ejection.

Sometimes there is a sharp edge just at the mouth of the chamber and the steel based hulls (such as some of the Remington field loads)will stick making extraction difficult.

This can be easily fixed by wraping a dowel with steel wool and runnung it in and out of the chamber a few times just enough to dull that sharp corner.

I do this on all 870s as a matter of course.....

6. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

The problem is on extraction, the shell doesn't come out of the chamber easily. I'll try your suggestion.

7. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

WHAT IS THE BBL CONFIGURATION? WHAT CHOKE AND HOW LONG? ANY MORE PICS CLOSER UP?

8. nanuk

nanuk TS Supporters TS Supporters

Very nice looking gun--I assume the barrel is the std 26" and I think they were all mod. choke.
    Had the same in the standard grade and experienced similiar problems---found that the chamber ring (in the receiver) was not concentric to the barrel {ie/ off center}--very visiable when extracting high brass loads(you could see swelling on the brass that became scuffed as it passed the chamber ring when extracted.
    If this is the situiation, it might be easily corrected by a good gunsmith by minor metal removal---or may require a different chamber ring.

good luck---and did i say it was a nice gun (I'm thinking about it !)

Bob

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many guns with slightly larger chambers, but still within factory specifications, will frequently have extraction problems with discount shells that have steel heads.

Pat Ireland

10. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

It seems the main theme of the answers here address the problem of different shells. I had a problem with Remington field shells, I have a lot of different 20 ga shells in the cabinet. This week end I'll try different shells and see if some work and some don't. Hopefully I will find an answer that makes sense. Some of you have emailed me to say you are interested in the gun. I appreciate that, but I would want to know what I am selling you if I choose to do that. So, both of us knows what we are dealing with here.
    Tom

11. davnport

davnport Member

My 30+ Y-model M12 will NOT extract Fed Wal-mart 100-pack shells. It works fine with the Win or Rem 100 pack loads, so I would exonerate the beautiful Browning..

12. Murphy

Murphy Member

Is the Browning still available?

13. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

Tom...you can fix this problem yourself....the problem is as others have pointed out, that the chamber ring is slightly smaller than the chamber itself. Upon firing a shell, the brass or steel expands or "foreforms" to the size of the chamber and makes extraction back thru the smaller chamber ring very difficult.

My home repair fix, as I have the exact same gun as you. Take a longish length of heater hose to use as a flexible "driveshaft", put a slot in one end to hold some emery cloth in medium abrasive grit. Use a short wooden dowel in the other end of the hose to allow your hand drill to chuck it up.

Make multiple wraps of the emery cloth on the slotted end, as much as you can still get down the muzzle end. Wrap the paper so that the drill turns it correctly.

Push the heater hose from the muzzle end down until the emery paper is in the chamber ring area....mark a spot on the hose with whiteout at the muzzle end so when you are using the drill you don't have to wonder if you are in the right spot.

Clamp the gun in a vise and work from the muzzle end...the long heater hose wont hurt the barrel or chamber, and the emry cloth id flexible enought to not tear apart. It will probably take more than one attempt to get it where you want it for smoothness...but it will work. There was a BIG difference in the dimensions of my chamber and the chamber ring itself. Don't waste your time with steel wool.

Steel headed hulls are much worse than the brass headed ones simply because it is harder to resize the steel....which is exactly what you are doing as you attempt to extract the spent shell through the smaller chamber ring.

Good luck

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.