Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Browning Maxus

7K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  bn12gg 
#1 ·
Anyone have one? How does it shoot? Would you recommend it as a good trap/ skeet gun? Anything I should look out for?

#2 ·
Here we go!!! I have heard they have had a few issues with the first run but don't know the specifics. I shoot a Gold and absolutely love it! There will be allot of Trolls out there that will strongly disagree but my opinion is derived from over 10 years of shooting one without a single malfunction! If the Maxus is the next generation of the Gold it should be a great gun but you never can tell....I would wait a year before buying one just to be safe...

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses. What kind of problems were in the first run? I have (expectedly) heard nothing but good about the Maxus. As for Browning shotguns in general, what aren't you telling me? It's been about a year since intro, I have a feeling I will be picking up one within 2 weeks for my next competition. The Benelli Nova 20ga only goes so far with doubles, and the 870 supermag is way worse. Are there any other shotguns that you would recommend in a similar or less price area? I would also be using this shotgun for deer, turkey, and goose. I usually use slugs for deer, and I noticed a Briley Rifled Invector Plus tube for 70$ at the LGS. Are they effective?

#6 ·
"There is the main Troll now". What's your point? (Yeah, I have been known to Troll from time to time...but I'm reformed now). If you've not had any malfunctions in 13 years (which is pure bullshit) with your Browning, then your moniker says it all. YOU are truly a "Luckyman". You are either lying OR you simply don't shoot very much (this is more likely).

I wonder why you don't see ANY Browning autos being shot by serious target shooters?? Can you explain that fact Luckyman??? And, it is a fact.

#8 ·
NOT ONE MALFUNCTION IN 13 YEARS!!! Thousands of rounds!!!! I'm not really Lucky TRON just Smart for buying Brownings my whole life!!!BTW...Here we go again....Bobby Fowler probably the greatest American Sporting Clays Shooter of all time won everything with his for years...Just because you can't say the same about your Beretta's it's no reason to get your panties in a bunch..You've been hooked again TRON!!!

LOL!!!!

#11 ·
I had an SX-2 sporting (similar to the SX-3 and Maxus) for a while and loved the way it shot. I could break targets hard on the sporting range as well as the trap fields.

The only downside to the gun was its inability to consistantly feed a shell for the second shot. It would hang an empty about 1 out of every 6-8 shots. I'd have to reach up and clear the empty while following the second target.

This started getting old and my shooting buddies would give me grief about the gun. I don't recall the amount of targets it cost me, but it was quite a few (Only 2 malfunctions/FTF's per 100 targets in the NSCA).

I'd buy another one in a heart beat if it would reliably feed the second shell. The chances of that happening would be about the same as finding hens teeth.

The SX-3 and Maxus are plauged with problems. Just google the topic and see what is said by the shooters and not the magazine testers. The magazine testers gave the 105CTi raving reviews and it's a bigger POS than the Browning!

ss

#13 ·
I have always owned a Browning A5 along with all my other guns. I don't shoot it a lot, but I do know that over the years I have never had a malfunction of ANY kind. This is in all weather, and some sporting clays, trap, and turkey shoots, and hunting! It is amazing. I think it is because John Browning was a genius, and mine is a Belgian made beauty.

#14 ·
Wow guys, I have to say that the ONLY shotgun I have ever seen jam is the 11/87 and 1100, both with light target loads. I didn't like the 391 and the gold didn't fit right. I understand the Maxus is an SX3 with a new gas system, some extras, and better egros. Sorry, but I still have yet to find ONE BAD REPORT with the maxus, all seem to be 100% in the reliability dept. The only tourture test I've seen is by Browning themselves where they put 25,000 rounds through with a prototype using 3 1/2, buck, and light 1oz loads. If you want to bash, you'd better have solid evidence for them words.

#15 ·
I really don't have a dog in this hunt, but my grandson has his eye and his heart set on a Maxus. We've been a Remington 1100 and lately G3 family for 5 decades. I've told him that we will wait for a year to see how both the Maxus and Explor 400 fair before committing to either.

I've owned a B-390 two B-391's and a Gold Hunter, all of them had problems of one nature or another. It amazes me that the broken links, broken bolt guides, corroded end caps and bent shell lifters on the 390 & 391 seem to be constantly excused or ignored while the firing pins and shot-dry Gold failures are constantly excoriated? Kind of reminds me of how the Democrats can get away with anything just because....? I will say this, Browning repaired my Gold problems and gave me spare parts that I've never had to use. Beretta charged me for everything and even added shipping to warranty work.

What amazes me about this thread is it's bias on the same account as the 'Googled' accounts. IF you actually read what is Googled, the majority of the 'problems' are attributed to the Gold, not actually the Maxus, and are just more rehashed bias'. Very few actual Maxus accounts exist, and those that do are mostly repeats of 3 people with 'trigger trapping' problems.

Whether the Maxus has trigger problems or not, and whether the E-400 doesn't reliably cycle light shells I don't know. I do know that all auto's have issues of some type or another. Some people just choose to overlook those of their favorite brand. When it comes to realistic evaluations on new guns, especially auto's, I feel a bit like Diogenes.

IMHO,
Kip

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.