1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Maxus or Super X 3 ??????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goosedowner, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

I'm going to try and get back out to South Dakota this year to hunt pheasants and I would like to take a new shotgun with me. My ole Franchi is a good gun but I would like something a little lighter to tote around all day.
    I won a gun in a drawing last week and traded it for a $699.00 Gift card from the gun shop so I have that much towards the new gun.
    Any one have any comments about either the Maxus or Super X3? I would even consider the Rem CTI 105.

Thanks
    Lee

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Lee,

Between the 3 you mention, I'd opt for another option. There are way too many issues starting to creep up with the SX3 and jamming/feeding issues.

The Browning, is just that. They have proven not to be the most dependable auto out there. They are closely related to the SX3.

The 105's are complete junk and have been pulled from the market place (both versions I & II).

I'd opt for 1100/1187 or a 391. Both designs have proven themselves several times over.

Nothing worse than going on a hunt only to have gun problems. It's bad enough on a sporting clays course.

ss

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

IMHO - the winchester is a much better choice over the Maxus. with that said - I lived in South Dakota a few years and I found that a 20 ga would do everything I needed and more. It is a lot lighter also. My choice was a 303 or a Benelli but my point is you do not need a 12ga for Pheasants. I used 20 ga 3" with 4's and I don't remeber amy running on me. They just fell dead. When you clean the bird you will find very little shot as most passes all the way through

4. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

Two trips ago I took my Franchi 720 and used it most of the trip and was happy with the results. I shot mostly heavy shot on that trip.

5. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I have shot a Browning Gold Fusion since they first came out for hunting. This gun is very close to the SX3. Have had zero problems with the Gold Fusion. Liked it so much I bought an SX3 3.5 inch for waterfowl hunting. Zero problems. Don't have any experience with the Maxus. The Remington CTI 105 is a piece of junk that Remington discontinued and would like to forget. Saw the new Beretta A400 @ Pheasant Fest. Really impressed and very light. Just very expensive.

DoubleAuto

6. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I have a Beretta A400 and its the best hunting auto I have ever owned. Light, shoots ANY load and has yet failed to cycle. If your looking for a quick pointing, reliable auto for birds, consider the A400. I have no experience with the Maxus but hear mostly good reports.

Now, I did have a X3 for 1/2 a season....what a piece of low quailty junk. I actually gave it away. The guy I gave it to called me some time later and asked if I would be upset if he sold it because it was a jam-o-matic for him as well. I dont know whats going to happen with Winchester...their new shells are at best K-Mart quailty and now they make guns of about the same caliber.

7. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I would take a Benelli Vinci. I have owned or used them all and the Vinci is the best auto loader made with no close seconds.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I actually shot a protection round last Sunday with a guy shooting an A400. Its a flat shooting gun, but this guy was crushing targets. He took it apart to show me how the gas system worked. It had 500 rounds through it, and was super clean inside. I was impressed how simple it was compared to a 391. His only complaint was the front sight fell off after the first box of shells. Wayne

9. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Aren't the Winchester Ammo Company and the Winchester Gun Company owned by two different groups?

DoubleAuto

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.