1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BROWNING LIGHTNING BROADWAY RIB VALUE?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hoghunter, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoghunter

hoghunter Member

I have a Browning Broadway Trap Rib, the serial number is 97XXX. Which from all my books say it's a 1927 mfg. It has light handling wear on the receiver edges, wood finish is good ,with a few dings finish not broke, checkering still fine. The engraving looks sharp . please ask anything that might help with the value
    This gun belongs to a good friend & he wants to know what he can get out of the gun, so I told him this would be a fair place to find out?
    Thanks ahead for any help you can give on this.
    I would love to add it to my collection, but I want to be fair if I can afford it?

2. hoghunter

hoghunter Member

I just checked the numbers on receiver & the lever on the fore arm & the barrel all 3 read the same 978XX. it has a rib on top that is 5/8 to 3/4 of a inch. & on the bottom of the receiver it has Lightning Browning? That's why I'm here, I don't have a clue on the value?
    Thanks
    JR

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

JR, sounds as though a broadway rib was added at some time. Compare the machining of the rib with a known BB-W. That may tell you that B added the rib? Hap

4. sovrapposto

sovrapposto TS Member

According to Matt Eastman's Guide to Brownings, ser#s 96501 to 99999 were built in 1962. Jerry

5. wm rike

wm rike Member

!?! My Lightning Trap #38XXX was purchased new in '66. Are Browning's numbers not sequential?

6. sovrapposto

sovrapposto TS Member

Wm rike, In 1963, Browning changed the way they serial numbered their guns. Prior to 1963, guns did not use letters before the number. Does your gun's ser # start with the letter "S" ? 12 ga guns made from 1963 to 1968 should read as " S_xxxxx" the "_" representing the year, example 1964 is S4XXXXX, 1965 is S5XXXXX etc. Clear as mud?? Jerry

7. chemist

chemist Member

according to Blue book the Broadway was mfgd from 1961-75. I just checked mine and it has the Browning Lightning on the bottom of the receiver and superposed on the barrel- The original box has the only "Broadway" marking. My gun has an "S73" following the serial numbers so it was made in 1973. Does the stock have a round knob or flat knob? early superposed had the round configuration. I have a fielod model like this -Another contributor agrees with the serial number in the Blue Book being in 1962. My rib is 5/8th - center machined with sides of a different pattern. has 30inch barrels- white mid rib bead - some of these were salt wood and had corrosion problems- supposedly Browning replaced them for free-

8. hoghunter

hoghunter Member

I have looked this gun over & found the serial number 5 differnt places & there are no letters or anything after the 5 numbers? It does have the flat pistol grip & not the knob as my a-5 . It is a factory broadway rib, the forearm stays with the barrels when you break it down, i did not remove the screws through the forearm to take apart, as it does not belong to me.
    I hope someone can help with the age & price
    Thanks
    JR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
broadway trap lightning

browning broadway lightning

browning broadway trap lightening
browning brodway lighting
browning lightning 1965 value
browning lightning broadway