1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Invector choke questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Birch1007, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birch1007

Birch1007 Member

What is the difference between Invector and Invector plus chokes? Are they inter-changeable? For shooting trap or skeet, are the Browning chokes better or are aftermarket chokes better?

2. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

They are not interchangeable. Browning invector plus chokes are fine chokes. I believe that they may even be made by Briley which is a good choke manufacturer. There are others who make quality INV+ chokes including Carllson . Impossible to say what is "best", it depends on which choke gives YOUR gun the pattern that you want. You may also have a preference on the appearance of the choke.

3. WGB

WGB Member

Invector are older Browning gun chokes, Invector plus or Invector+ is the newer choke. Inv are short and also fit some Winchester, Mossberg and SKB guns. Inv+ are much longer.
    They do not interchange.
    Most chokes, whatever brand will do the job. Pattern the shotgun and adjust your choke size accordingly. Briley, Browning, Carlson, Trulock, take your pick.

4. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

I suggest Wright chokes.. I have had very good patterns with what I have purchased. I call and talk to Stu and he makes recommendations by the information I give him.

He's been doing this a very long time .. and knows his work. Link above..

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I'll also add the Invector+ tubes are made for the back-bored barrels. 0.740" in a Browning 12 gauge. Invectors are for standard bores. Newer Winchesters also use the Invector+. I think Briley only makes the Diana and Midas grade for Browning, and they make the Winchester Signature chokes.

Wayne

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Browning rates their choke tubes by the pattern percentage @ 40 yards while other mfgrs rate their chokes by constriction. Keep this in mind when using Browning chokes for example Browning IM might only measure .020 constriction while the others use .025.

7. Birch1007

Birch1007 Member

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful.

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

In my XTs Briley chokes give me the best patterns on paper and the best breaks in the air. It could be because Briley uses the shortest parallel section in their chokes of major manufacturers at 3/4"; Trulock uses 1" and Carlson uses 1-1/10". These 3 work for me with Briley being on top. All standard extended models, all unported. Briley chokes also have the tightest threads and the snuggest fit in my barrels.

Angle Port chokes apparently don't always measure the constriction that's marked on them. Phil Kiner measured their .030" constriction choke at .036" and their .025" constriction at .021" in my barrel.

I think the Vendel chokes I have have too long a parallel section at 1-3/8" and they create a small hot center and a lot of scatter at 40 yards at .025" constriction.

I can't get one of Wrights chokes to throw a decent pattern with any of my reloads. I don't think they have a parallel section, just a uniform taper. I bought one of his IM chokes (#6 I think), tried it for a couple months and sent it back with a note that he could have it back and sell it to somebody else. He sent me a #5 (mod) to try but it wasn't enough of an improvement to warrant keeping it; it went back, too.

Keller

9. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

The barrels on my XS are stamped Invector Plus. Are they back bored from the factory? Will the Invector Plus chokes fit my barrels?

Thanks,

Pat

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Yes and yes...

Keller

11. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Birch1007:

I have currently have two target guns with Invector Plus chokes and two hunting guns with standard Invectors.

Twelve and 20 gauge Invector chokes are 1 1/2" in length. The twelve gauge version fits barrels with a bore diameter of approximately 0.729".

Twelve gauge Invector Plus tubes are 2 3/8" in length. They fit barrels with a bore diameter of approx. 0.740".

As previously mentioned they are not interchangeable.

When properly installed, the end of either type is flush with the end of the barrel. Neither type extends beyond the end of the barrel.

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do invector plus chokes have a parallel section

how good are invector plus chokes
in vector chokes for older brownings
invector plus thread pattern
were the older browning xts back bored
what is the thread pattern for invector plus
who makes browning invector threads

will winchester chokes fit browning