1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning HP Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluedsteel, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

The original Browning Hi-Power's (P-35's) were designed to use 115 grain FMC ammo. It should feed this load without problems, assuming it is commercial-grade ammo made by a reputable manufacturer. I don't know what you mean by "cheap practice ammo".

If it functions well with hollowpoints, that is a bonus. Some do, some don't.

Just shoot good quality 115 grain fodder, and enjoy it for the wonderful gun that it is.

bluedsteel

2. ky4some

ky4some Member

Did the "cheap" ammo have the flat nose bullets? Sometimes these flat 9mm rounds are known to hang up in the chamber and not feed well. For practice ammo stick with regular round nose FMJ. Believe it or not the Federal 9mm ammo at Wal Mart is a great practice round. I've seen it feed reliably in everything new and old.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Despite what some say, the Hi-Power, and most high quality European handguns were made for the 124 gr load at an energetic level. The price point 115 gr ammo in the States is really watered down.

You can get a reduced power recoil spring from Wolff Gunsprings, or shoot the heavier bullet. Usually the 124 gr load is about the same price as the 115.

Having once performed warranty service and repair for Browning, I likely have more info on these guns than the average bear.

BTW, with its ramped barrel, it will likely feed most quality ammo if it is hot enough. If you are having failures to feed, check your mags. If they are not factory mags, correct this problem. If they are factory, clean the mags and stretch the mag springs.

These guns typically give almost no trouble.

If it a Commercial model, it will have an external extractor. A military model will have the internal extractor similar to the 1911.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Shooting Coach is spot on here guys. Listen to what he has to say.

ss

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

You got it figured out. As an old 1911 bullseye shooter, I have 2 recoil springs for my 1911.

Have your standard and reduced power springs for your Hi-Power, or look around for the heavier bullet. The 124 gr pill operates almost all Nines.

The Gen IV Glock does not like watered down, or American 115 gr price point ammo, either.

6. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Shooting Coaches remarks are all very good, except the stretching of the magazine springs. Don't stretch, replace magazine springs with a quality chrome silicon springs (other springs as well) -- service life for the CS springs has a minimum of 10x's that of conventional piano wire carbon springs. Their big advantage -- no set like the carbon springs...

Just one other point; remember springs work both ways, so over-springing can cause some galling and damage to the frame if the spring is used to overcome an improper functioning handgun. Better to have one of us gunsmiths check it out before over springing to solve a problem....thar's it...

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Another point about the Hipower magazines, load them one round less than full, they will function better and the springs will last longer.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My favorite pistolo!!...John Browning rocks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.