1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning High Power Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike K P, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Could someone please give me a quick study on the Browning High Power. I see there are different types for instance the FN which seems lower in price. Are some less desirable than others? Thanks. Mike.

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It's a CLASSIC.

Check out the above web site for lots of good info.

The Browning Hi-Power is one of the finest pistols ever invented and has probably been used by the military in more countries over the past 70+ years than any other.

If you're a top notch shooter, just send it to Novak for a simple trigger job.

-Gary

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The FN's were/are made in Argentina and they lack a little in the way of finish, but are great shooters. If you want a show-off piece then get one with the high polished bluing and walnut grips. They even made a few with tanget sights, but I've never seen one of those.

ss

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

My favorite nightstand gun, Well made, easy to field strip, points like a dream. Uber reliable. Cheapest and most available centerfire ammo.

Kind of heavy for a summer CC. but if you need it, you could do far worse.

My only complaint is the factory thumb safety is small and does not "click", easily updated.

5. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

First, not a big Hi Power expert,but what is your intended use? Carry? Nightstand? Collecting?

If it's carry/nightstand, then the shootability is the primary concern, and regardless of the "source" you should be fine with any HP.

Since you put "desirable" in your OP, if collecting is your intent, then a few books on the subject are your best bet.

6. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Out of the box, the triggers are horrible. Once worked on, they are very good. Remember, as a night stand or carry gun, this is a single action gun. Ergonomics and pointability are great.

WNCRob

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

One of my favorite handguns

I would dissent and say trigger pulls vary widely new out of the box.

I did own a Novak and it had a great trigger pull and was more accurate buttttttttttttttttttt it was tight and would not function even when clean all the time--- I found if you lubricated it with a very light synthetic oil with teflon- that it would perform flawlessly-- but not sure I would have wanted that Novak in a dirty environment- it was my possumm gun

Standard Hi Powers however are noted for function in dirty environments all around the world

There is no easy lunch here

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

My hi-power is an FN Belgian made - Portugal assembled gun with a factory hard chrome finish. It shoots extremely well and the only mod that I made was to disconnect the magazine safety. The trigger pull is clean but a bit heavy at 5 lb. Reliability and accuracy are excellent.

These are full size guns meant to be carried cocked and locked like a 1911. They are not a good choice for concealed carry due to the size and weight. In an open carry gun belt set up they are no problem to pack. Best application would be recreational shooting and home/car gun.

There are a bunch of copies made in several European countries but the FN guns are the best of the bunch. There are also some very high quality p35s that were made in Canada.

9. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Funny this came up. I just picked up a tangent sight model last week. First one I had ever seentalked to a hipower guy at a show that had another one. 1500 was the price tag on his. Je said ANY Hi-power is now worth a grand at least.

This is the 6th one I've owned over the years ( still have 3 of them), and when you find out what like to be fed, they run like a champ. 124 grain +p or +P+ is good don't use the +p stuff a lot. Something NATO spec will be a good thing. Generic, and blazer just wouldn't run in ANY of them, or some hp stuff depending on the nose shape either!

I would agree with Gene that trigger Pulls vary out of the box. And is greatly improved with the removal of the mag safety, but I never told you that.

The last one I picked up is between 92 to 95%, tangent sight but no slot in the grip for the shoulder stock! (Damn) According to the hp guy at the show that would have made it worth 3000.00! Ide post pics but I'm out of town. Maybe when I get back if anyone is interested. Rick gibbs

10. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Thanks for all the good info. Mike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning hi power nightstand gun