1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Hi Power Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike K P, Nov 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I've recently become interested in Browning's Hi Power 9mm. Can anyone tell me what an Fn model is? Any other general info would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike Pracht.

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mash the link. I believe it has to do with the manufacturer. FN, FM, etc.

3. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

military designation-p35. also made by inglis during ww2 and is now copied by ither arms manufacturers. a great combat weapon but not a lot can be done with it to make it a match (accurized) weapon. it was also the first piston to use a staggard magazine(13 rounds)-rick zino

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

There are a lot of models considered FN (contract models)

many of those contract models are lower valued for a lot of reasons and many people dont even consider some of the contract models to really be Hi Powers

Make sure if you are going to purchase something that you know what you are purchasing

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My favorite

6. Loyac

Loyac Member

Only the ones made in Herstal, Belgium, at their Fabrique National factory are marked "FN"... I think... John

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If you buy one I have a factory manual for a High Power

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I recently bought one made in the 70's in Belgium and it's a gem...REALLY well made and great to shoot. Almost as nice as my S&W 52-2, but that one is still my all time favorite.

9. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I had a FN Belgium made Hi-Power with the grip cut for a stock and the rear sight that could elevated. a top quality firearm with an original commercial blue, and it was an accurate shooter. It came back to this country as a war trophy from WW II. I sold it for $350 back in the late 60's, and I still consider that pretty well up at the top of the list of things I should never have done.

10. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I once bought a second 52-2 maybe 7 or 8 years ago for like $300 or $400 and sold it to make a $100 profit...I still kick myself over that one...should have kept it.

11. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

You might check out the discussion forum (above.) Originally Belgian made, they were later also made under contract in other countries (the FM was made in Argentina.) A number of different models and finishes have been offered, including a long-slide GP. It's a fine pistol, similiar to the 1911 but improved with linkless & bushingless barrel, and resulting quick takedown. Very ergonomic grip. The trigger-bar trigger is not as crisp as a 1911's. The deep scalloping on the dustcover makes it one of the most comfortable pistols to carry inside the belt. Phil E

12. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I really appreciate all the info. Very interesting. Thanks, Mike.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Great 9mm pistol. Tons of mods can/have been made. Excellent accuracy right out of the box. FN = Fabrique National Belgium. New high powers are FN made and assembled in Portugal.

Only mod I made to mine was to remove the magazine safety. Not a great CCW piece due to weight and size but it makes up for that by being accurate and reliable.

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I see the reference to the Smith Model 52. I have one that needs trigger work; does Smith and Wesson still work on these?

Thanks.

15. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I had a 52-1, pre-Bangor-Punta and condidered the best quality of the 52's and I SOLD it for $ 250.
    Talk about "seller's remorse!"

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I do believe the only way one gets appropriate ammo for the 52 is to reload; no factory rounds available. (wadcutter low power)...a very special and unique firearm.

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Remove the mag safety, you will get a better trigger pull, but it will now fire without the mag, with one in the tube.

18. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Shannon391, do you have more specific instructions on how to do this?

19. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

The Hi-Power is also made in .40S&W. As mentioned, removing the magazine safety will do wonders with the trigger pull as well as fiddling with the trigger spring. Note: doing either with void your warranty!

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Ooh, the Hi-Power -- a fantastic pistol, a true classic, and the best Christmas present I ever received! Check out this great website.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.