1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Hi-power help needed

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigbore613, Feb 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I was just at a friends house, he was showing me a Belgian HP 9mm. The problem is after he reassembled the gun after cleaning the slide will only go back about three quarters of the way.Only thing I can figure is he somehow put the recoil spring rod in upside down and then when he released the slide it mucked up. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The recoil spring rod has an 'up' and a 'down' when installed - sounds like it might be upside down.

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Yes that is what I stated in the thread,What can be done? The slide will not go back far enough to let the release to clear the notch on the frame. Jeff

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

With the slide all the way forward, or perhaps back just a bit - you can still knock the pin out - you will need a wooden dowel or punch to do it - there will be a lot more spring pressure on it.

Once out the slide will come off and you can flip the rod.

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

TRied that but the notch in the rear of therelease is engaged in the notch in the frame not letting it move. Jeff

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Keep trying, like HLDS says the pin will still come out.

I just put mine in upside down to recreate your problem.

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Use a brass punch

clamp it in a vise if that will help you

Dont be chicken-

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

No chicken here I knocked the H out of it on wuud blocks supporting the slide. Jeff

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

With the slide forward is there any movement (up and down - or rocking) in the slide stop pin??

Not sure how it got wedged in there, there is an open area in the side of the frame that the pin fits into, and it needs to rock up and down (so it can work as a slide stop).

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

OK - did you try just moving the slide slightly and then punching the pin out from that non stressed position?

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Guys , thanks for the help , I dont have the gun here but did take one of mine apart its a rel old one so not sure if the levers have changed. Dene I did try moving the slide back a little at a time to no avail. The slide will not go back far enough to clear the notch in the underside of the release lever that is captured by the frame. The lever has only slight movement up and down as it will not make it back far enough to get to the right place. I took one of mine apart and cannot figure what is jamming. If you pop out the release lever and look at the underside you will see the notch. Thanks, Jeff

13. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Watched a local gunsmith fix this problem by putting the frame against the wooden workbench and pushing forward with his body while tapping the release lever gently with a brass hammer. I can't remember how far he pushed the slide forward but I sort of remember it going forward most of the way. He flipped the spring over, re-assembled the gun, and shot a clip. All was well.

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Must have really pulled hard on the slide to bind up that tight, your buddy has some heavy hands! {:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.