1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Gold

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Woods, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I have a Browning Gold Hunting model 3 1/2 Inch. I have been shooting 3 Dram
    1 1/8 oz. shells and it has been working fine. It has know stopped cycling the ammo. Any suggestions. Will a T & S shell catcher work on this gun.
    I guess if the gun won't cycle I won't need T & S catcher. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Joe Woods/Ontario

2. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

No flame intended here but have you disassembled it as far as you can and given it a good scrubbing lately? I have one and if I don't keep it nice and clean/lubed it will bind up and not cycle the second shell in. I have the sporting clays model and enjoy it. I wish it wouldn't kick the shells out so far though. I have to dig into the brambles when shooting sporting clays to find the empties. I guess I'll have to load up some throw-aways. I still don't like to leave empties laying around. Too much of my Dad in me. He taught me to NOT leave my empties on the ground whether it was IN the field or ON the field.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

3. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Joe,

I agree with Jerry. Great guns but they need to be clean to work.

Tom

4. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I, too, agree with Jerry. If I don't keep my Gold's receiver/bolt well lubed, it will not always chamber the second round.

(just takes a spritz of Rem-Oil every box or so....)

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

What I learned, Bought browning gold sporting. Had some cycling issues after 300 rounds, cleaned. worked great 300 round again, cleaned. Called store. You gotta deal with browning. I cleaned again no problems 400 rounds arrggghhh. Called browning. Browning "did you tear down and clean gun before you used it for the first time. Yes i did also switched the safty over to lefty. "did you REALLY clean it. YES. "did you take the stock off and remove action spring from action tube, ahhh no. Then was told the rust preventive they use is nasty. As per directed I removed all the wood tore down the gun removed action spring from tube. cleaned everything top to bottom inside out. cleaned that action tube like a riffle barrel. I could not believe the gunk that was in there! After all was cleaned gave a normal dose of gun oil. It now shoots 1500 round before any cleaning. It may go longer but 1500 rounds is when I tear down and do a good cleaning. Also the lighter gas port may help. The sporting comes with 2 1 1/8 oz or less and one for over 1 1/8.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Ps it does toss shell a mile. I did not like the ts shell catcher on mine It would always move and eventually broke. also scratched my gun. If you look closly after installing it only grabs a very small corner of reciever. I use a birchwood casey catch all shotgun sport magazine or brownells. will not hold 1300fps shell though. Love that gun now shoots great. my favorite load is 1oz 1290fps universal game loads. There is also the Surecycle replacment action spring/tube in stainless which has worked great in my brothers gun for cold weather hunting. With no rust up. SureCycle.com

7. Joe Woods

Thankyou for your assistance. Upon further examination I find the spring in the gas port system broke into many pieces. Need new spring.The spring in the piston assembly.Any body ever have that disassembled.I wonder what the actual name of this part is. Went to Brownell web site. They show it complete as Part. # 65. Any suggestions. This gun is able to shoot 3 1/2". Not to rugged if it won't handle trap loads!!

Thankyou

Joe Woods/Ontario

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

The piston comes as complete assembly, call browning to see if the piston for 1 1/8 loads will fit in the 3 1/2 model. I'm almost sure it will. Im also going to say that the 3 1/2 model has a heavier action spring in the action tube. Trying to shoot 1 1/8- 2 3/4 - 1200 fps through a gun thats made fore 3 1/2- 1 1/4+ shot with a dram of what 3 1/2 or more may have issues. Do not know a lot of gold owners. I have had mine for a year or so with a min of 4500 rnds with no issues or signs of wear. If you bought this gun used you have no idear what type of punishment was on this gun. If you intend to shoot trap more often than hunt with this gun. I would call Browning find out if gas light load gas piston interchanges 2. would get new action spring and follower for both 3.5 hunter model and 2.75 model. If i remember if action spring is a 1/2 inch shorter than new length its time to replace. I cant remember the oem length. I have looked at the piston several time for disasemble. Ive decided to wait until need replacement to fool around with it. PS surecycle had a gas piston service they do. I am not sure of the process or results. but as stated my brother has the stainless action tube and spring to resolve some cold weather issues and rusting issue of the stock spring and tube. Can you post pics of broken piston. Im wondering if shooting lighter loads puts a different stress on the piston? Call browning. You have to get in that action spring tube if you never have on top of a new piston.

9. Joe Woods

I was itching to tear this assembly apart but chose to wait. This is unusual for me. I bought this gun new. It has had a steady diet of trap loads. It has worked fine,then one evening it just quit ejecting the shells.Thankyou very much for your info. It is much appreciated. My first Browning in 30 yrs. I am a Remington 1100 man first, Beretta man second. Looking at these newer Browning auto's gives me the impession they are Beretta want a be's.

Thankyou

Joe Woods/Ontario

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Dont know?

11. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

I get my parts from browning

great service

You have to clean this gun in order for it to work...

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

You gotta get into that action tube, and yes there is a difference in the springs 3.5 compared to 2.75. Can you post pics of the broken piston.

13. Joe Woods

I have a broken spring in the piston assembly.

Joe Woods/Ontario

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Yes a broken gas piston spring, If your going to use a lot of 2 3/4 trap load shells I think it would be of intrest to replace action spring and follower along with the light load gas piston. If you intend to shoot a lot of trap.

15. Joe Woods

Do you think Browning would be able to repair my Gold at Grand.

Joe Woods/Ontario

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

most likly just sell you a new piston, think they would be able to do the action spring also. They should at least have the answers. I would like to know why the Gas piston spring broke, is this normal wear and tear? Let me know how you make out, ill be hittting the tear down and clean point soon.

17. Joe Woods

Browning replaced dampner/piston /no charge. They said they had very little trouble.

Joe Woods/Ontario

18. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

When I was shooting one in Sporting, people were replacing the gas piston with one from the magnum model and also replacing the recoil spring with a heavier one. This really smooths out the cycle and dampens recoil. An added benefit is that it does not throw the empties as far as Jerry Beach mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning gold forum
browning gold hunter jams

browning gold light loads

browning gold target load cycling
browning gold trap
browning gold will not cycle
browning gold with lite loads
piston browning gold