1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Gold Semi Auto?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Has anyone had one of these or have any comments on how good they shoot? Thanks

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Yes I bought one for my wife, she loves it. I also when shes not shooting put my own stock on it and shoot 5 stand with it. I purchased the Gold Sporting clays ladies model. The stock was still a tad long so I installed a Wenig NewAmericanLadies LH stock on it. I plan on installing or haveing installed adjustable comb, Should have bought with one already installed from wenig. Need a bit less drop at comb.

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

OK...you said that you want an opinion??? Well, here's mine: For around the same amount of money, you can get a 391 (or for less, a 3901) and it is a superior shotgun in every way. I've seen too many problems with the Browning Golds and I would rank them even lower than an 1100 overall (WAY lower).

That's MY opinion, you asked for it.

Tron

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

My wife does not shoot a lot, I have had gun for 2 years only a tad over 2500rnds through it. It can be a bit picky on lighter loads.

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Had one for two or three years. Shot a LOT of clays with it. Learned how to replace most every part, especially firing pins! BIG parts hog - FAR worst than a Remington 1100. Soft shooting - about the same as Remington 1100. Buy a Remington 1100 instead.

Jim Skeel

6. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

So far I love mine. Tron, after the rebate last year, I ended up with my gold hunter for 450.00. You can't get a 391 for that.

7. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I've got one for shooting sporting clays. Yes, they are a bit finicky on the light loads. One has to make sure you have the correct gas collar in (correct name for the collar??) Another thing is to keep the thing CLEAN. A dirty "slide" will not let the second shell feed correctly. (Is it evident that I don't own any other auto's?! LOL) Overall I like it but I must load up some throw-aways as the gun throws the empties a country mile. I hate to dig my AA's out of the weeds when shooting sporting clays.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Had one, liked it, sold it. Never malfunctioned but my test period wasn't lengthy enough. The only things I wasn't happy about was the lousy trigger pull and the long fingers needed to reach that trigger!!

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have 10 gauge Browning Gold, I use it for goose hunting. Works great and I've hunted in 10 below, rain and snow with it. Never had a problem.

10. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

My experience matches that of JB's.
    I've shot a Gold as my primary duck gun for seven seasons now. If I remember to keep the receiver workings clean and lubed, it never fails. I like the gun as much as I like my 11-87...maybe more.

11. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Fastest cycling, softest shooting, most reliable auto made! Think about what it replaced! I had one for close to ten years now without one malfuntion...Let me repeat.....Not one!!!!Granted I take care of my guns....

On a recent goose hunt with my two friends, one using a Super Black Eagle and the other friend using a Browning Silver, the only gun that jammed was the SBE! No kidding.....After my buddy with the SBE fired his first shot at an incoming goose and missed he tried a follow up to no avail....The bolt on his SBE did not travel far enough to reset the trigger....Boo! Hooo! In short my Browning and I were left to clean up....Fortunately my Gold performed flawlessly as usual!!!

12. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

I shot one for 4 years as my main trap gun and now it is my duck/goose gun. Easily 25,000 rounds through it and I haven't had to replace a thing. Now you guys have me worried.. Mine is a 3" model and seems to cycle just about everything.

I bought my Dad a 3 1/2" model and his definitely is a lot more picky about the lighter loads. I think you can fix that though with one of the sporting clay gas cylinders if I remember correctly.

One of my biggest complaints is that part of the receiver is aluminum I think and it has started to "groove" from shell ejection. I don't think that should happen on any gun. Other than that, I would buy another in a heartbeat.

13. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Hello Mr. Charles....it's been a long time! Well, the Browning Gold is one auto that I'm not very impressed with. There are a ton of local Sporting shooters in this area and the Gold was a fairly common gun for a few years. Nearly every Gold owner that I know ended up switching to a 390 or 391. I have one here right now that I'm doing some work to and this guy is a big Sporting shooter...but, he will no longer use it for NSCA shoots. He told me about all of the parts he's replaced (a ton of firing pins, pistons, bolts among other parts).

The thing is, his story seems to be the norm and not an exception. I'm not bias toward any product what so ever...I like to keep an open mind. Brand loyalty is a very annoying trait and I've found Browning owners to be among the most brand loyal of the bunch. Yes, Browning makes some great products, but this isn't one of them and is a rather poor choice if you're in the auto market.

Yes...I need to get down your way!

JMHO

Tron

14. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

If the Gold had all the problems Tron is talking about this thread would be loaded with dissatisfied customers ready to express their opinions.

Why is it that the only negative comments come from people that know someone who knows someone else who taled to someone who had a problem....If you want to know the truth about a gun get the opinion from someone that owns one and talk to a gunsmith....

15. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The Winchester X-2 is mechanically the same gun as the Browning Gold except it eliminated the speed feed feature which is worthless for clay target shooting and does cause malfunctions. This gun is being heavily discounted all over the country-as low as $600- which is almost $400 less than the Browning Gold.

16. frank t

frank t TS Member

My experience is the same as Mr. Tron. Five years ago when I shot registered clays I saw as many Gold's as Beretta's. Now the gold has disappeared from the hands of competitors. Bobby Fowler, one the best clay shooters in the country used to shoot two of them, one as a primary and one as a back up. He no longer does. Clays competitors are serious shooters who vote with their money. Has to be a reason for it. Gunsmith told me that the triggers had problems.

Frank T

17. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

According to the Browning Web-site he still shoots the Gold...BTW, look at everything he won with the Gold.....Everything I believe?

18. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Using a gun for sporting clays is much different than using it for duck hunting or some similar such hunting. A sporting clays shooter may shoot more rounds through the gun in a weekend than a hunter will shoot in an entire season.

For that matter, using a gun for sporting clays is also different from using it for trap singles. An autoloader used for trap singles is essentially a single shot gun with automatic extraction and ejection. Many of the functioning problems with autos are with the feeding of the second shell.

At any rate, I seldom see a Browning Gold used extensively in sporting clays. I see FAR more Berettas than any other auto. I see a few 1100's and a few Benelli's. I can't personally vouch for the durability of a Browning Gold auto since I've never owned one, but I can tell you that the 390 Berettas that I own work great.

19. Trapshooter01

Trapshooter01 TS Member

I Have had no problems with mine except the fireing pin breaks about every 10,000 rounds used it hard for trap for about 3 years. Now only use it for sporting clays. Now have a XT for trap

20. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

I bought my Sporting Clays model and shoot trap with it. The feed ramp broke once. Gas Piston broke. Wouldn't fire so I sent it back to Browning and they fix it. "What was wrong with it" I asked. States here "Minor Repair Work"

Broke a lot of Front Hi Viz sights on it.

I still like it - just a high maintenance gun - Gas Auto usually are compared to recoil operated guns. It is a lot easier on my shoulder than other guns - I use a 30" with IM choke usually - A 30" auto is about the same overall length as a 34" Trap gun.

I still shoot it - but I don't shoot a lot of trap anymore or much of any shotgun sports that much anymore...

BTW I have a 1187 and the felt recoil is greater.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta sami 12 tykns gold

browning 3901 durability

browning gold 10 does not feed

browning gold bobby fowler

browning gold clay semiauto

browning gold sporting clays semi auto

browning gold trap auto

browning gold trap shotgun auto