1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

browning gold problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

My trusty pheasant gun isn't so trusty anymore. About once or twice in a box of shells it loads but doesn't fire. It only seems to do it on a 2nd or 3rd shot. I took it in to the local gun shop for the problem this past summer and all they did was give it a thorough cleaning. Said that they could find nothing wrong with it. This is a gun that I used for trap for my first three years, so something could be weak or worn out, but what? When watching it work, everything seems lined up and working o.k. Help! I'm leaving for IA in 10 days.
    Bill in MI

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

It does not dent the primer when it misfires.
    slayer

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Are you using Nobel primers that are notorious for doing that in cold weather? Try some other shells. If that is not it, you have weak springs. Springs can lose their value after three years easily. Get a new firing pin spring & hammer spring. If it is not even denting the primer, then you have a broken firung pin spring and yes they will work sometimes when broken and not others, Could also be a broken firing pin

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

The older models are notorious for breaking firing pins. They probably have it figured out now but at the Sporting Clays Nationals at San Antonio in 1999, their gunsmiths were replacing firing pins right and left. They put a new one in my gun even though I hadn't had a problem as yet. Easy to take the bolt apart and check.

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

If it is not denting the primer every time I would bet on a broken firing pin.

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Famous for firing pins.

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

My Gold Sporting Clays had the same problem and it got solved when I replaced the action spring. Hope this works for you. JM

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Can't see how a new action spring enters into the equation unless the old one was so weak the gun was not going all the way into battery.

9. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I've heard spring problems to.
    RR

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It could be the firing pin return spring. They often break or just take a set. The Browning Gold has an inertia firing pin so if it is not fully returned the strike force will be reduced.

Take it to a good smith and have him replace the firing pin and the return spring.

Browning Golds are famous for using lots of parts.

Jim Skeel

11. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

My Browning Gold Hunter sees a lot of days in the duck blind. I learned early on that if I didn't keep the bolt lubed with a light lube (e.g. Remlube) it would do exactly what yours is doing.
    Now, every other hunt...between cleanings...I give it a spritz. No more issues.

12. DANNY

DANNY Member

Bill, I had a Gold Hunter & now have a Gold Sporting. I have had firing pin & spring breakage in both of these guns. I feel Browning has this problem under control now because I have not had any problems since the last time I replaced them & that has been at least 3yrs. ago & many rounds of trap & sproting clays.
    I still keep a spare spring & firing pin on hand. You can get them from Browning or Brownells. Hope this helps. Danny

13. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

code5 I think you nailed it. I inspected all springs and there was no breakage. If a spring was just weak, there would be a dent to the primer. I tend to get a little lax on cleaning and lube during season. So we will go with a little more of that before I start replacing parts. thanks to all for their help.
    Bill in MI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning gold firing pin problems

browning gold hammer spring

browning gold hunter will not fire
browning gold not firing all the time
browning gold sporting clays firing pin replacement
firing pin light strike browning gold 10
missfire browning gold
problems with browning golds