1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Gold Hunter 20-ga as a first gun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by snevah, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snevah

snevah TS Member

I am just getting into the sporting clays sport and I am looking to get a decent shotgun as a first gun. My budget is fairly limited. I have decided to go with a 20 ga auto loader both to keep the costs down and to minimize recoil (I hope to shoot with my father who is getting older and is concerned about recoil).

So, I have found a local retailer who has a new 28" Browning Gold Hunter in 20 ga. I was planning on purchasing this gun and using it for trap, skeet and sporting clays and eventually some hunting.

So I am curious what people think. Is this a good purchase for $750 or so in CA?

Thanks you very much

-----------

Note: I also posted this same question at sportingclays.net in hopes of getting some good quick feedback as the sale on the shotgun ends soon.

Thanks

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

not a bad choice but I think I would go with the new Winchester SuperX3

3. snevah

snevah TS Member

Thanks for the advice, I will have to look that gun up. Do you know the approximate cost?

Thanks!

4. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have never used any of the new Browning autos but they are offered at a good price. They just came out with a 20 gauge Browning Silver that I wouldn't mind owning. I own a Remington 20 gauge auto that I love to use. I don't know if you can get the Beretta for the same price or not. They do have the Walmart special Beretta. I never liked the look or feel of the Beretta compared to the Remington but they are supposed to be very good guns. The 20 gauge Browning Silver is a good looking gun.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The gold hunter will do a good job for you as will several others. Since you are considering this a your only shotgun, a similar quality 12 gauge would be a lot more versatile. There are many low recoil 1 Oz 12 gauge loads on the market so it really isn't necessary to go with the 20 guage just to end up with a soft shooting gun.

While you are shopping around, take a look at the 391 Beretta and the 1100/1187 Remington guns. Both have earned great reputations in the clay shooting sports.

6. snevah

snevah TS Member

Thanks for the advice so far guys. Is there a model number for the Beretta I should be looking for? How about the 28" barrel? Is this a decent length for a beginner in sporting clays?

Thanks again!

7. snevah

snevah TS Member

Thanks wolfram,

Saw your post after I asked for a specific model on the beretta. I will look into it. I have heard good things about both the 1100 and the 11-87. What is the difference between the 1100 and the 11-87?

Thanks

8. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

If light recoil is your goal look at the weight of the gun. My Remington 20 gauge auto at 7 pounds is hard to beat for low recoil with factory target loads. Add one the R3 recoil pad and it is the softest gun I have ever shot with standard factory loads. If I reload 3/4 ounce 20 gauge loads recoil disappears.

9. snevah

snevah TS Member

So I took a look at the Beretta 391 and the 1100 and 11-87 Remingtons and it looks like the Remington models are more in my price range than the beretta.

I am now leaning towards the 1100 in a 28" in 12 ga. Again, I am hoping to use this as an all purpose gun for skeet, trap, sporting clays and eventually some duck and upland hunting.

What should I expect to pay for a new Rem 1100 12 ga? I am looking for new, just because I don't know what to look for in a used gun and I don't want to get stuck with a gun with some issues.

Thanks again

10. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Academy has the Remington auto for 600 dollars.

11. wolfram

The 1100 has a slightly smaller receiver than the 1187. Mechanically they are almost identical. I like the 1100's better but the 1187 is much more common these days and usually lower cost. Either one is within your price range. There are some maintenance considerations with both of these guns that you will need to become familure with if you shoot a lot. Nothing serious and there are lots of people on this site that can walk you through it.

The Beretta 391 might be on the outside of your price range but it is a great gas operated autoloader and a real soft shooter. If you really want to get serious about shooting the shotgun sports the 391 will take you a long way.

I have never owned a Gold Hunter but you don't see them on the trap line nearly as often as do the Beretta autos or the 1100/1187 Remingtons. That should tell you what you need to know about that.

12. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

The new cheaper Remingtons are 11-87's. The advantage of them is you can shoot either 3 inch or 2 3/4 inch.

13. snevah

snevah TS Member

highflyer, is Academy a user on this forum, or a gun shop?

Thanks

14. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I thought it was a nation wide sporting goods chain. Maybe it isn't.

15. snevah

snevah TS Member

Also, I found the following 1100 models using the gun locator feature on galleryofguns.com. Can you advise me which one to choose as a good sporting clays and hunting gun?

BRAND: Remington
    MODEL: 1100 Classic Trap
    MSRP: $1,129.00
    SIGHTS: Front & Center Bead
    CALIBER: 12 Gauge
    BARREL LENGTH: 30"
    FINISH: Blue, High Luster
    OVERALL LENGTH: 50 1/2"
    ACTION: Semi-Automatic
    WEIGHT: 8 1/4 lbs
    STOCK: Walnut,gloss,chckrd,pistol grip w/montecarlo
    CAPACITY: 4+1
    FEATURES: BBL Bored to STD-.727 dimensions Vent Rib

MODEL: 1100 G3 Autoloading Shotgun
    MSRP: $1239.00
    SIGHTS: Bead
    BARREL LENGTH: 28"
    FINISH: Blue
    OVERALL LENGTH: 48 1/4"
    WEIGHT: 7 5/8 lbs
    STOCK: Hi-Gloss, Realwood Carbon Fiber Walnut Laminate
    FEATURES: Vent Rib, Length of Pull 14 1/4" Internal Parts Plated with Nickel-Teflon Finish

MODEL: 1100 Sporting
    MSRP: $1084.00
    SIGHTS: Front & Center Bead
    BARREL LENGTH: 28"
    FINISH: Blue, High Luster
    OVERALL LENGTH: 49"
    ACTION: Semi-Automatic
    WEIGHT: 8 lbs
    STOCK: Walnut, gloss, checkered, pistol grip semi-fac
    CAPACITY: 4+1
    FEATURES: Vent Rib

Thanks again

16. snevah

snevah TS Member

The thing I don't like about the 11-87 is that it doesn't appear to come in traditional wood finish. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but everyone I have seen at my local trap and skeet range is using a shotgun with a wood finish gun. I wonder what types of looks / glares I would get with my synthetic.

17. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Now you are getting up there in price. I misunderstood you thinking you wanted to keep inexpensive. If you are going to get up to a 1000 dollars or a little over you can get any auto you want. The Berettas seem to rule at sporting clays. They can go longer between cleanings than the Remingtons. I prefer the feel of the Remington. The down side of the Remington, if you hate to clean a gun, is you need to keep them clean. I shoot from 100 to 200 shells every time I go out. I take 5 minutes when I get home and clean my Remingtons so I never have any problems. I like the Remington sporting clays models or the G3 or the new Competition gun, all 1100's. The G3 will also shoot 3 inch shells.

18. snevah

snevah TS Member

Price wise, I need to stay near $800. I was thinking that I would be able to find a good 1100 for about this price.

19. wolfram

Those are pretty high end 1100s you are looking at. These guns come up for sale on this site quite often for a lot less $. The 1100 sporting (#3) would do all that you ever ask of it.

20. snevah

snevah TS Member

I am in the Bay Area, South San Jose.

I am torn at this point. After doing a bit more research, the Beretta 391 seems the way to go, but I don't think I can afford the price tag.

I am considering it along with the 1100 or 11-87. I need to settle on a barrel length also. I can't say that I know what would be appropriate for the applications mentioned (skeet, trap, sporting clays, duck and upland hunting)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning gold 20 ga
browning gold 20ga
browning gold gunter for trap and skeet
browning gold hunter 20 ga

browning gold hunter 20 ga for sale

browning gold hunter 20 gauge

browning gold hunter 20 gauge for sale

browning gold hunter for sale 20 ga