1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning gold 12g operating preasure

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have a browning gold 12g sporting clays model with the 1 1/8oz or less piston installed. What Im trying to figure out is the min preasure needed to cycle the action.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

3. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

FWIW: I used to have a SC model, but I can't remember if the pistons said "Sporting Clays" and Heavy, or 1 1/8 or less? Anyway, I loaded a lot of 1 oz. and 7/8 oz loads using the 'light piston'. I always tried to keep 7000 PSI, though I don't think that it mattered much? I know I shot a lot of 6000-6500 stuff with no issues.

Kip

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

My current light loads do not function well at all.

5. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

i have a browning sporting clays that cycles my 7/8 oz loads consistently. what kind of load are you using? jm

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

My reloads sts cci primer 16.4 clays tgt12 wad 10z shot. it just doesnt seem to have enough MMMpPPHHH to get it all the way back. I dont usually shoot this gun. I only shoot 5 stand with it and generally use the factory black universal game loads.

7. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

mac....Similar situation here, daughter shoots ladies model Gold sporting clays. Will not reliably cycle 1 ounce loads of any sort (reloads or factory)

She gets more tired from opening the bolt when shooting trap than just shooting 1 1/8 ounce shells.

Browning rep told me at the grand they are likely introducing a new gun this coming year that will have a new "active valve" available for very light loads.

The rep showed me the gun and said that the new valve would be available for purchase as well.

Bob

8. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

maclellan1911
    if i were in your shoes, i would up the powder charge to the next speed level of your reloading chart for clays. the other thing is, i shoot my gold with a squirt of Rem Oil inside the receiver area. these things worked for me. jm

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Ohio bob, alllthough it defeats the purpose of softer recoil. The 1oz universal game loads should work. jm1079, I had some cycle issues when i first bought the gun. After talking to browning reps a few times. disassembled entire action action tube and spring super cleaned it and oiled lightly. I had no issues after that. Now the 2 gas pistons are labeled 1 1/8 or less or 1 1/4 or more. I think they need to label them 1200fps or more. From exsperience of a fellow shooter you do not want to fire heave loads with light piston. His action took a beating as well as the piston its self. I think I will try a few different loads.

10. R.Kipling

That's a really slow load that you're shooting, Mac. You didn't say, but I assume that you're shooting your Gold 'wet'? That is, lubing the mag tube and shoulder of the piston. Most guys use Breakfree CLP, but any of the wet lubes will work. I always shot mine 'wet'. It's info that came directly from the Technoid, years ago, and it really does work.

Another thing that you might try is moving up to a hotter primer (say, Fed?). If you e-mail Hodgdon's Tech line, they can give you an approval. I did just that on a non-published 7/8 load that I was interested in. They approved it without hesitation. Just FYI.

Kip

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

RK, yeah its slow about 1140 1150 or so. I have never crony. I was loading these for my wife when she first started, shooting 870 field. They worked well for her. I ran out of shells one day. Had a few boxes of the light reloads around. I shot them through my XT ran 50 str8. The recoil was so light. I loaded up 100 more. Ran 75str8 the next time out. Just started liking them. When I tried them in my wifes Gold sporting they didnt work so well. She was shooting the 1oz gun club at 1185fps. Now she wants to shoot reloads, cause I do? I have done well with this load back to the 21y line with IM choke. I like the Browning for five stand. I put the factory stock back on once and while and shoot 5 stand with it. I had to fit a stock for my wife for the browning gold.

12. idaho gh

idaho gh TS Member

I have have the same problem with my Browning Gold Sporting Clays. It doesn't like to cycle Estate 1oz.(1180Fps on the box) consistently. I've cleaned the action spring and lubed it and lubed the magazine tube.The second round seems to hang up. This weekend I tried a Winchester AA Light 11/8 for the first shot on 25 trap doubles after trying with the 1oz. first. With the 1oz. I had 2 malfunctions and with the AA's none.
    Gene

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I used to own a SX-2 sporting and was having some problems with the gun cycling when shooting lighter loads. After a complete cleaning and lube job the situation was improved but still there. I then installed the heavy shell piston and fired a few 1 1/4 oz shells through it. Problem solved! It just needed a little break in!

ec90t

14. R.Kipling

Mac,

I shot, and still shoot, a published 1180 speed load with 17.1 gr. of Clays. When I drop down to 7/8 I take that same published 1 oz. load and substitute ( with factory approval) a Fed. 209 primer. I didn't have any cycling problems with my Gold from either load. The 7/8 chrony'ed at 1205 with a SD of 4 - good results, and good cycling too. I still shoot these two loads in my 1100's without a single problem.

Point: My Gold was an early one that broke a firing pin very quickly. When I called Browning, I ended up speaking with Service Manager, JJ Hamblen because I wanted to replace the pin myself. At his urging, I did send the whole gun back to them. To their credit, they went over the entire gun, replaced the bolt(for head space)and included two new gas pistons. Maybe that helped??

Kip

15. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

I use AA and mine seems to function great.

Are you using the piston with one set of holes or two?

How clean is it?

Are the holes in your barrel plugged?

Lube the magazine tube

If you have build-up use brass or copper brush and clean it.

Pull the trigger group and make sure the assembly is clean.

It all matters with the Gold SC Model.

Clean the inside rails and lube with small brush where the bolt operates.

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Doc, I break down and clean barrel and magazine tube after each use. 2 cases gun gets the works. When I firts bought gun new. I had issues. Then finally got browning on the line. Was told the anti rust compond they use is pretty heavy and sticky. especially in the action spring tube. Browning rep warned me that when cleaning its going to apear rusty. thats the anti rust gunk. Once this was done the gun has been flawless. Browning rep said to do this at 1500 rnds. I just do 2 cases and clean. I am useing the piston labeled light 1 1/8 oz or less. my gun was new 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning gold light sporting clays piston

browning gold piston

browning gold sporting clays piston