1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Firing Pin Replacements

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bydnsilly3, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bydnsilly3

bydnsilly3 Member

I and some friends have had a great deal of trouble with Browning firing pins. Specifically in the newer model over and unders (ultras etc). In the past I have gotten titanium (sp) replacements from Allen Timney. They were great and solved all of our problems. Now that he has retired however, I have lost my source. I still have folks with the same problem needing help. Does anyone have a new source or any advise. The factory units are not the answer, we have tried. Please help.

Billy Myers

2. bydnsilly3

bydnsilly3 Member

The pins start pitting and become short. This causes the gun to not fire. The problem is worse on the bottom but we replace both pins when we change them. All of our guns starting having problems within the first 3 or 4 thousand rounds.

Billy

3. teleskier

teleskier Member

I seem to remember a thread on here about this very issue with the XT's. Also with folks using Cheddite primers.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I was just going to say the same as above. Teleskier beat me to it. The Cheddite primers cause alot of problems with firing pins on alot of different model shotguns. I will not use them because of the many people who have had problems with them at my club. If you are useing these, I think your problems will stop if you change primers.

5. kytshooter

kytshooter TS Member

My Special Edition O/U had the same problem. I welded on the hammer end of the firing pin then milled the end down smooth. It's been working for several thousand rounds now. I too bought several pins from Browning that never helped.

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Last year I was having big time problems with shells not going off in my Browning. Even the top barrel was not reliable.

Reload with W209's. But do shoot Estates from time to time.

I did see a chipped firing pin on the lower barrel.

For whatever reason the springs I ordered with the firing pins arrived first.

Don't remember what you call them, but they are the springs behind the hammer.

I changed out the springs before the firing pins arrived, as things were going down hill fast.

They were not an easy install, as it was a tight fit and they were pretty short compaired to the springs I removed.

New springs, no more problem...

I did change out the firing pins when they arrived.

7. bydnsilly3

bydnsilly3 Member

The problem happens no matter what primers are being used or if you use new or relaoded shells. When we switch to titanium pins the problem goes away. Any ideas where to get some?

Bill Myers

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Billy......Did you call Timney and see if he had any left? If not, he may have sold all his stuff to Stu Wright. You might call Wrights Gunsmithing. I'm at work and don't have his number handy......Dan

9. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Oh geez, I just bought an XT this past weekend (very slightly used). I didn't have any problems shooting with it (singles or doubles), however, I don't want to get caught short with a bad firing pin either. How would I know if it's been replaced or not? Should I not worry or go ahead and replace it? Was it a certain year or all of them?

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

With all the postings here and all the talk abought this problem there, some source would start acquiring some and begin advertising heavily.

11. bydnsilly3

bydnsilly3 Member

Starshot2b,

I have a call into Stu Wright to see if he has any of the Timney Titanium pins. Someone from his shop is supposed to get back to me tomorrow. I will keep you posted if you would like. Please send me your email address. I am getting at least 6 sets for locals and will get a set for you and Bob if you would both like. I can install yours for you at the state shoot and Bob's I can do at the Oregon State shoot in Cottage Grove or maybe sooner. I can tell you whether it has been replaced or not just by looking at it. Until that time, just shoot it. Sooner or later it will fail. Or I should say that all that I am aware of have. Some take longer to fail than others. Either way, I would replace them as I do the labor for free, and the pins were fairly cheap. I will let you know more on price as soon as I speak to Wrights. See you at Coon Creek.

Billy Myers

12. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Billy - that would be awesome, thank you. Email is on the way. Last thing I need is a broken firing pin, in the middle of a shoot...however, breaking guns during big shoots seems to be my thing! :)

Thanks again, Sherree

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

timney browning firing pin