1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning/Fiocchi problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bridger, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridger

Bridger Member

I know I've read about this somewhere here but don't recall the solution. On two different guns,my Browning XT and XS skeet, the guns will not fire a shell with a Fiocchi primer out of the bottom barrel. No problem with the top. Not even a dent in the primer out of the bottom barrel. These are both relatively new guns that have been fired little and I know I have read about other Browning owners experiencing similar problems. The guns will work with AA primers just not Fiocchi. Anyone know of a solution other than going back to AA's?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Many guns will not reliably shoot Fiocchi and Nobel primers.

Wolff Gunsprings makes a heavy mainspring for the Citoris. You must buy a set, but only the bottom barrel needs the fix. This is not an absolute guarantee, but should solve your problem. I now install this spring on all Citoris I service.

Browning has already redesigned their lower firing pin to help solve this.

Before I pay the outrageous price for WW primers, I would recommend the Cheddites. This will eliminate the problem.

3. bill2

bill2 Member

Coach, any word from Browning about factory replacement/upgraded pin for lower barrel on previous purchased O/U. R/ Bill

4. Shooting Coach

They have been putting the new pin in for several years now. The best thing to do is go ahead and order one and a spring from Brownells. If the gun is new enough for warranty service, it has the updated firing pin.

Brownell's # for lower firing pin is 149-002-157. The Browning # is B1334157.

Brownell's # for the firing pin spring is 149-001-724. The Browning # is B1793048.

The number for the Wolff Mainspring set is 969-000-161AA. If you prefer to order them from the maker, their # is 30217. Only the bottom barrel needs this spring. Save the other for the next annual.

The factory mainspring for the top barrel is # 149-002-293. The Browning # is B1334293. The upper firing pin is 149-002-148. The Browning # is B1334148.

Keeping the firing pin channels free of residue is a good idea as well. With the stock off, brake cleaner and compresed air will take care of this without disassembly. Sometimes, the trigger pin is not fitted tightly and may be blown out. I partially push it out to the left if it is loose, squeeze it with a pair of Vice Grips, and tap it back in. I like Ballistol for lube, but your favorite high quality firearms oil will work fine.

The firing pin retainer pins go out right to left, and should be replaced in the same hole they came out of.

The Citori is pretty faithful to John Browning's original 1920's Superposed design. The inertial trigger is about the same as Val Browning's redesign in the late 30's, is straightforward to work on and easy to understand in operation.

5. Bridger

Bridger Member

Thanks for the information Coach. What I find strange is that yesterday I shot a round of skeet with the XS skeet. 23 shells went off fine, on the other two shells the primer wasn't even dented. I have a few AA primers yet and will load up some of those and see if the problem persists.

6. Shooting Coach

Dear Bridger

What hull did you put the Nobel primers in, and what type of loader do you use?

7. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Browning 16 gauge Citori's are also having trouble with lower barrels not firing. The main shell they have problems with are the Remington Game Loads (one of the most readily available loads for 16's). Browning tends to ignore or refuse there is a problem with the 16 gauge Citori's.

8. Bridger

Bridger Member

I was using Fiocchi not Nobel primers. This last batch was loaded on a MEC Grabber but I have had the same problems using a Dillon. I put a straight edge on the base of the hull and the primers are not set too deep.

9. Shooting Coach

My K-80 does not approve of the Fiocchi primer or the Nobel.

I need to find out if the 12 ga parts fit the 16 Citori. I always considered the 16 the BEST field gun, when it is on its' own frame.

The Remington field primer is extremely hard.

10. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

Head Space is the problem, Japanese Browning and Miroku as well as K guns seem to have deeper cartridge rim grooves cut into the chambers causing excessive cartridge head space as well as the Fiocchi primers being flat faced and tougher.

The Browning/Miroku bottom barrell hammer only contacts the firing pin half way up the hammer limiting the connetic energy delivered to the firing pin, the upper hammer strikes the firing pin at the end of the hammer giving maximum striking power, this is why when you put a missfired cartridge from the bottom barrell in the top barrell it always goes off.

The interesting thing is that Belgium Superposed do not suffer this problem.

Argus

11. scott k

scott k TS Member

<a href="http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/scottk66/?action=view&current=xt015.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

i put a spot of weld to the right end of the pin.with the pin spring removed, and the pin bottomed in the recever, i file the weld until it is flush with the recever. put everything back together. have not had a missfire in 60,000 rounds.

works for me.
    scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.