1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning factory repair turnaround time?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dds4horse, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

2 weeks ago I dropped off my Browning BT-99 at the place I bought it (used) to have my forend repaired (the 2 screws sheared off). To me it seemed like a simple fix 2 new screws. So tonight I stopped in to see how the repairs were coming and they told me they had to send the forend to Browning. The guy said it didn't look good as far as a timely repair and would not even warrent a guess as to how long it would take. I was just wondering if any other people have had any browning factory work done and if so how long will it take? I have a sneaking suspicion that gun is gone for the trap season. Fortunately I just bought a BT-100 that I will use but now I am left with no backup. thanks in advance for your input.

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Figure three to six months for simple repairs - much longer if it is involved.

3. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

They didnt do you any favors by sending it to Browning. Any one can do better than their factory service. Used to be you could always figure 8-9 months. Sometimes, a year. Never use them for simple repairs.

4. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

you know 24 the shop gave me a lifetime warrenty on the gun and IMO it seems like a cop out, so they ship it out and its out of their hair. They claimed they could not remove the old screws???? These screws on the BT-99 seem like a common problem that should not require months of work. Their warrenty states they will fix the gun or replace it. Even in the small print it does not say or we will send it away for months. I mean thank God I have the means to buy a new gun or I'd be screwed (no pun intended) with no gun to shoot.

5. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

You Sir Have been Taken in by Dishonest People. I have replaced the screws in (4) different BT-99 forearms. Of course they are the "New" Bt-99's NOT the Older guns. I am NOT a gunsmith but, any one should be able to remove the forearm screws even if they are sheared off smooth. Since you are the "Owner" of said gun the gunshop should have asked what you wanted to do BEFORE sending the gun to Browning. I think a "New" Gun is called for. Be advised a LOT of the "New" BT-99 Shear these screws off. Maybe a Brownng O/U to replace the BT-99. Just Saying --- Oh Yes I Am a Browning Fan But, NOT the "New BT-99's I AM sure there are a LOT of the "New" BT-99's that are working FINE. joe90t

6. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

I am now starting to think that Joe. I stopped by last week and another employee rudely told me "if the gun is done they would have called you" Today I asked the guy to just check on the status and he did and gave me this information. This is one of the newer BT-99's 2006 model and I have heard they had problems with this. From what I have heard from other people the browning factory can take 6-9 months. 6-9 months in OHIO is pretty much the whole trap season. I was sure this shop/shooting range was pretty reputable and they are nice people but a courtesy call would have been nice to tell me the status of the gun. Afterall I only had the gun for a month and a half before it broke. Thanks for the info Joe

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

A drill press/mill, a drill bit, an easy out, and a couple new screws, and you would have been back in business. Provided they are a fairly common size, I would have replaced them with something more durable in the process...

8. Arkie

Arkie Member

I took my BT 99 plus to Arnold, MO. Jan. 3rd 2012 to fix the rib. I got a call to pick up March 6th 2012 worked out real good. Hope you have good luck. Good shooting this season. Rick

9. gsw7880

gsw7880 Member

Good luck, they had my few week old O/U for months. When I got it back it was not even fixed. I own several of the guns and am a fan, I will never purchase another browning or winchester because of thier awful service. Good luck hope you have better luck than I.

George

10. LostPostOne

LostPostOne TS Member

I walked in with a BT-100 with a broken firing pin. Handed gun through window and sat down. Hour later new pin and tightened up no cost.

11. bill2

bill2 Member

My gun was taken to my Browning dealer. I did not buy the gun from him. Dealer sent it to Brownings repair . Returned fixed no charge (except for shipping) in less than two weeks. Bill2

12. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

call Browning and see who the CEO is. Used to be John Waite (check the spelling). Then send an email to waite@browning.com They will not give you his email, but it's easy to figure out. When I did that a number of years ago I discovered that the head shed had no idea what was going on in his own shop. It actually got results.

13. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

It took me 9 months to get my Superposed back from Browning...........they had to replace the forearm iron..................just saying

D.P.Reynolds

14. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

I want so badly to be a Browning fan. They are a great American company (granted, not really owned by Americans anymore but it's American to me). But, this customer service garbage has pretty much soured me on Browning. 6 months turnaround for service? I don't know even know how they get away with it.

I bought a brand new 75th anniversary Hi-Power a year or so ago. Jammed often right off the bat. I put about 1000 rounds through it and at least 50 of them were failure to feeds. Of course, they wanted the gun for 3-6 months. I took it to a local gunsmith to get it fixed. Paid $200 and waited two weeks. It shouldn't have to work that way, especially for a brand new product.

Now, I'm shopping for a 22LR pistol. I really like the Buckmark but I'm nervous about the prospects of getting another Browning.

15. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

skeet_man , Those screws are not a common size, I think they don't exist except in the Browning world.

16. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

4 months to repair a hairline crack in the forearm of a new XT. Bought new BT 99 as back up. Will pay locally if it ever happens again. I bitched about it and they said if I wanted them to box it up and send it back they'd be happy to accommodate.

What screws in the BT 99 are shearing off? Have seen this mentioned before; are you talking about the two wood screws in the forarm iron? What is shearing them. (I have two BT 99s with no issues, at least so far).

17. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

Yakimaman yes they are the screws that attatch the forearm iron. One screws into the wood and the other attaches to the iron underneth with the forearm release. From what I have heard it is a problem with the newer BT99's around 2004-2007. If you compare them to the older models you can see the difference.

18. GW22

GW22 Active Member

My screws sheared off once and the gun slapped me silly. The next time I shot, I fliched so bad I missed the whole damn trigger! ;)

-Gary

19. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

MISSED THE TRIGGER??? But did you still get the bird??

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Don't be ridiculous. NOBODY can recover from a megaflinch and still get the bird!

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bow warranty repair turnaround time
browning authorized repair center
browning customer service turn around
browning repairs turn-around time
browning warranty center ontario

browning warranty repair

brwning factory repair service
factory refinishing browning