1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

%% Browning Eye Candy &&

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dennis DeVault, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

This is something a little different with respect to the wood. The blank was provided by Earnie Ross and it is Burl Pin Oak. Yes there is an alternative wood other than Walnut. We chose to leave the wood natural and not stain it dark. The guys felt that the stain might cover up the fine grain and take away from the beauty of the wood. Cindy calls the checkering pattern Azteck as it looks a little South Western. The gun features a Delrin rib that raised the POI at the shooters request. The rib was installed first and then the stock built around this new configuration. Just wanted to showcase a different type of wood that is not often seen. As always enjoy the photos and thank you for looking.

Dennis, Cindy & The Crew

dennisdevault_2008_030352.jpg

dennisdevault_2008_030353.jpg

dennisdevault_2008_030354.jpg

dennisdevault_2008_030355.jpg

2. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Beautiful. Maybe one of these days... Btw as far as cost is concerned how does that blank compare to the walnut you typically use?
    Jimmy

3. Dennis DeVault

Hi Jimmy,

The cost is a little less than a good grade of Walnut. The blanks run $ 800.00 to $ 1,000.00 each. Most of the time the blanks a very large and thick. This style of blanks allows us to achecive the high combs, offset and toe out that we need to build our style of stock. This is rough with thin blanks on guns with high ribs.

Dennis

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

WOW!! That's an impressive job Dennis/Cindy&crew!! I would never guessed that pin oak could look so good! Thanks for sharing!

Hap

5. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

everytime I see a gorgeous piece of art like this, it just confirms my decision to go with dennis to make my stock. I am very very excited to get my stock hopefully next week. up for an amazing stock maker. BYG

6. RED Z06

RED Z06 Member

That's beautiful wood and you guys did it justice. How hard is it compared to the walnuts?

Pat

7. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

That is a neat piece of wood and the work is outstanding.

8. Dennis DeVault

To Red,

The wood was very hard and it holds the checkering very nicely. Sands great but it does not like the file. Hard on cutters but we use mosty carbie insert tools and they cut very clean. Overall the guys like to work with it over some types of walnut. I have another stock coming this week that will be very unique and I know we do not want to cut it again real soon. It is Kentucky Coffee Bean Wood and it was real tough to work with but very beautiful. Thanks again for the comments.

Dennis

9. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Dennis, thank you for the pictures of an unusual stock wood and your work is first rate! Bruce

10. plabels466

plabels466 Member

From Webster's Dictionary---Artists = Dennis & Cindy Devault......That is a BIG box of chocolates Dennis.......I just love to look at & admire your work.....Thanks again for sharing..............Pete LaBella

11. Landshark

Landshark Member

BEAUTIFUL WORK !!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.