1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning experts, step inside

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by code5coupe, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Jul 5, 2007
    I'm in the market for a Browning XT or XS. I'm looking at used and at new. Nice wood is a MUST-have.
    Here's my question: I can't find any information on the Browning website about upgrading the wood on a new gun. Am I missing something? How does one get great wood on a new Browning????? How do some of the used XT/XS's get the nice wood that I see?
    Thanks for your help.
  2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Luck of the draw. I used to have an XT that I bought used and it had a very nice piece of wood. I've seen some that were a little bit plainer.

2 things to consider: 1 is to go to a larger gun store and hand pick your gun (these stores will have 10-20xt's on hand at any given time), 2 is to have a custom stock fitted to the gun (Wenig New American comes to mind)

Browning doesn't have a factory option on wood upgrade.

3. jackaroo

jackaroo TS Member

Jan 20, 2006
    I think you can buy upgraded wood from Browning but it would cost as much as the gun or more.
  4. C H S

C H S TS Member

Aug 13, 2006
    And the finish on the newer guns chips real easy and is a real PITA to repair. Some kind of self hardening epoxy or urethane. Every small bump turns white and the hard ones flake and shatter. Removing the finish to refinish it is even harder than fixing the nicks. Stupid finish for a gun!

5. Bridger

Bridger Member

Jan 29, 1998
    some of the XT's really do have great wood but it seems to be the luck of the draw as to what you might get if you buy one sight unseen. If you don't have a local gunstore that has several in stock and will let you choose, then your next bet is to buy one from an internet dealer who can show you pictures of what they have available. Indiana Gun Club usually has a big assortment with pictures of each one. You can make your choice and have it sent to a local dealer for transfer.
  6. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Have you thought of the Golden Clays model?

The wood on those is pretty damn nice. (Joel Etchen pic posted)

I got lucky and found an XT with some pretty nice wood on it. They're out there, you just have to do some digging.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.