1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning ejector mystery change

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DaveJ, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveJ

DaveJ TS Member

My Browning XT Trap has always had ejectors -- until last week. With no warning it decided that the lower barrel should be an extractor instead. Not causing a problem, and I can't find anything broken, but does someone have an idea what happened? I only use the bottom barrel, so don't know if the upper was similarly changed.

Your help appreciated.

Dave Jones

2. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Hi Dave,

Sounds like the ejector hammer isn't being actuated as it should. Perhaps a worn/broken tip on the trip rod ?

Where ya at Gun Dr. ??? :)

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Dave,

Each barrel has a separate ejector hammer in the forend piece. If that barrel has been fired, then the ejector hammer for that barrel should "fire" to kick out the empty shell when the gun is FULLY broken open.

Try this. Dry fire the lower barrel then open the action FULLY and see if that ejector has been kicked fully to the rear. If it has, then it should protrude farther than the ejector for the unfired top barrel.

Then close the action and open it again without dry firing. If the ejector hammer spring has cocked, then this time the ejector should just barely extend beyond the rear end of the bottom barrel (same position as the unfired top barrel ejector).

Try that and let us know what happens.

Easystreet

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

<a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view&current=100_0045.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

<a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view&current=100_0046-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

6. Easystreet

Mac,

Those don't look like factory standard ejector springs to me. Looks like someone has replaced the originals with some weaker springs.

Easystreet

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Sorry for the multi post, not sure what I did wrong....anyway 1st pic is of the guts in the forend. Ejector Hammer springs ejector hammers and the ejector hammer release/lock. The 2nd photo is not very clear, this is where the trip rod trips the hammer release. See if the springs are broken compare side to side. Also check to see if both sides are in the locked position. You can check the function of the hammers by setting the release in the forend with a small screwdriver. I do not have pics handy of receiver side to show the trip rods. You should be able to locate. The forehand on this XT shows weak springs so the ejectors just raise to their highest point without tossing the hull. I have had dirt get in the works keeping the hammer from locking. I have not heard much about trip rods breaking. Not to say the dont, They are long and thin. If problem cant be found in forehand, remove stock carefully looking for pieces when removing. Think you need to determine if it is not releasing or not setting like posted above. Look at the unit closely you will get a idea of how it works. One tip.....do not try to work on the forend iron with wood attached, you will be tempted to grasp the wood for leverage, resulting in a split forend. good luck

8. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

The forend iron is pretty easy to take out. Those springs do not look like factory springs at all. I would order a new set from the factory and install, which can be a bit tricky. I don't know the correct procedure for doing so, perhaps someone reading this will help with that.

Mike

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The pics you see are from maclellan1911's gun. He replaced the originals with weaker .45acp firing pin springs, so the gun will not eject with so much punch.

As for Dave's gun, remove the forend wood and slip the forend iron back on the gun. You'll need to hold it in place. Dry-fire the gun and open the action. You can watch and see if the ejector sears are rotating enough to release the ejector hammers.

If they don't, you may need a new ejector trip rod. The rods do need to be fitted...actually not fitted, but timed to trip the ejecotr hammer and the correct poit of opening.

It's very rare that the Citoris have ejector problems(except a broken ejector). The few I have seen, involved a worn trip rod...possibly timed improperly right from the start.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

GunDr, those springs are actually where found in the storm door hardware section of a hardware store, good for about 2000 rounds. I have since reinstalled the originals.

11. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

If you want to change your Citori from ejecting to extracting only, the existing springs can be changed to 1911 Firing Pin Return Springs easily. The spring is the same diameter, but weaker. While longer, they fit perfectly.

Brownell's has the springs for about $3 each.

Best,
    Dennis

12. Easystreet

The original poster (Dave Jones) asked for help 2 days ago. Several people have taken the time to post pictures and/or write detailed descriptions of how to diagnose the problem, yet we haven't heard another word from Dave. I guess he must not be too concerned about the problem.

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

follow up is horrible on most posts.

14. DaveJ

DaveJ TS Member

Sorry to be late responding. My brother-in-law finally went home before I had a chance to blow his head off with the Browning, so I could get back to the problem.

First, thanks to everyone who responded and gave me a better understanding about what's going on.

What I found was that one of the two ejector hammers in the foreend was getting pushed back when I open the action, but it's not "clicking" into position for an ejection. I can push it back manually with a tool, and then it clicks, resulting on an ejection on the next shot. But an extraction thereafter. Is this what is called ejectile disfunction?

Thoroughly cleaned everytning with gun scrubber and re-lubricated everything with break-free. Problem still there.

Choice now is to have a qualified gunsmith (which I'm not) correct the problem or just live with it. One plus is that I never have to go chasing an ejected shell.

Thanks again for all the help.

Dave Jones

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Something sounds funny in your problem? Gotta take a look at my gun now. seems like your missing something simple.

16. DaveJ

DaveJ TS Member

maclellan1911:

I think you're right. It's something simple that I can't see. There is no visual evidence of anything broken. Seems to me that whatever is supposed to push the cocking hammer back to "click" position isn't pushing it far enough. Or whatever is supposed to trip the hammer is pre-tripping it so it doesn't stay cocked. Wish I knew more about gunsmithing! Your help very much appreciated.

Dave Jones

17. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Could it be a timing issue? Sounds quite similar to a problem I had with my other Browning before the ejector arm broke.

Just a thought. I don't mess with mine, if there's something wrong with it, I give it to the experts.

18. Easystreet

Dave wrote: "Seems to me that whatever is supposed to push the cocking hammer back to "click" position isn't pushing it far enough. Or whatever is supposed to trip the hammer is pre-tripping it so it doesn't stay cocked."

I think it's probably the first reason you mentioned, i.e. the ejector hammer isn't getting pushed far enough back to get cocked. You wrote earlier that you could manually cock that hammer with a tool and it stayed cocked for one round. That tells me that the trouble is not in the ejector hammer or hammer spring. The trouble is very likely in the length or adjustment of the rod that cocks that ejector hammer. I suggest that you take it to a gunsmith for repair. Good luck, and let us know what the gunsmith says is the problem.

Easystreet

19. DaveJ

DaveJ TS Member

Sounds like Easystreet has hit it on the head. I will look very carefully at the rod that cocks the ejector hammer, but will probably end up taking it to an expert, since I don't remember seeing anything like an adjustment to that rod.

Probably be a while before repair takes place, so I will sign off for now and re-awaken the subject when I have some useful information to offer.

In the meantime, I live in Weston, MA; can anyone recommend a gunsmith somewhere west of Boston that they think would be good with this problem?

Again, thinks to all who have been most helpful.

David Jones

20. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Dave I have been looking for a good browning guy for sometime in MA. No referals yet. Also came up empty on a good stock man too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to replace old browning ejectors