1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning double automatic?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ou.3200, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I still use them. I have owned a standard, Twelvette and a Twentyweight. They are recoil operated but the barrel moves only a fraction of an inch rather than the full length of the ejection port as the A5 does. They operate reliably if you don't over lubricate the bolt, rails, etc. Too much lube and the bolt will operate so quickly that it catches the empty as it is ejected. The instructions says it was lubricated at the factory and shouldn't be lubricated further. There are some parts available from independent parts suppliers but barrels, stocks and forearms are somewhat scarce. I have never needed any mechanical parts. Recoil of the double auto is a matter of perception. I never found any of them to have objectionable recoil with reasonable field loads. Of course I was not shooting it pre-mounted. I wouldn't recommend 2 3/4 magnums.

2. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Have seven of them. A Standard Weight I shoot informal skeet with, a Twenty-Weight that is too light for me to shoot at anything and five Twelvettes that I really like. I normally shoot a plain barrel Twelvette that has a ground-to-fit Hi-Viz X-Coil recoil pad on it while hunting and it has very little perceived recoil. Shot AA Super Sport shells (1300 fps) dove hunting with it for a couple of days this year and it was an enjoyable gun to shoot. Really like the channel ribbed guns (have three) too. Extra barrels are hard to find as are extra stocks and forearms. Some other parts are available from the parts houses. I have never had one of these guns malfunction in any way. The guns are relatively cheap if you look hard enough. Sometimes extra barrels have to be fit.

DoubleAuto

3. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

bobby3200, the Browning Double Auto is a great shotgun that was ahead of its time in the 1955-1971 market. My Grandfather bought a trap model new in 1961. It has had tens of thousands of rounds run through it over these many years with no breakage of any parts. I have bought several over the last few years and have had only one issue with one gun. The sliding rear safety had worn out and I bought a new one from e-gunparts.com. I have heard people having trouble with the aluminum models when shooting many really heavy loads. A friend had the stock of his DA crack after shooting a bunch of slugs through it over the years. My user DA's all have recoil pads added to increase the LOP asnd reduce the felt recoil. The standard steel models will be as durable as any Browning made over the years. The DA excels in the uplands for birds and bunnies. It has wonderful balance and feel. I had one of mine out today rabbit hunting. I am going to look up some pics for you and post them.
    Doug

4. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Here is the recess rib that Double Auto spoke of in his post.
    Doug

5. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

You will need a Forest Green one! These unusual colors led to some people to view this model as to Euro or girly.
    Doug

6. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

The 1961 DA trap
    Doug

7. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Ad from Browning showing the baser colors offered. There are some very rare blue, pink, red, and others out there.
    Doug

8. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

The cool left side speed loading and sliding rear safety are two of the unique features of the DA. These features make this semi auto very southpaw friendly.

9. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

There were a few made with a sliding safety on the tang also. Still looking for one of those. I ran into one for sale a couple of years back but it was in very poor shape.

10. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

LOOKIE LIKEE they do a good job on rabbits...Smoker

11. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Great info guys. I run across these every once in awhile and have never shot one.

12. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Buddy wanted me to clean his. I did and you know you just have to shoot it . Took it out and 4 of us shooting some "home' trap I shot about 5 shells and buddy wanted to try. First shot and barrel falls off. We still talk about that Double you know what I mean I do have some parts if anyone needs some

13. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

The barrel will come off if you don't have the forend latch closed all the way. A guy at the range was looking at the above DA trap back in the 70's and opened this latch. Dad's next shot sent the barrel off the gun and onto the blacktop.
    Doug

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Dbl-A Doug, that 20 weight you have would make a dandy ruffed grouse companion with the right choke!! I've only seen one of those and liked the way it felt between the hands for a grouse buster but that one belonged to a friend and choked mod., if I recall. Good hunting shotguns! Hap

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

which Cabella's?

16. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I have one in the back room that does not cycle properly.The barrel is rigid and the barrel does not move easily. I need assistance . I assume it is not assembled properly. I had better get it out and check it. Anybody with guidance on checking out this gun.I have experience with the Auto-5, not much experience with this model. Your help would be appreciated.

Thankyou!!!

Joe Woods/Ontario

17. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Joe, I would take off the bbl and make sure it is inserted correctly into the receiver. The link listed is to SGW where I did a post showing how to disassemble the DA to fully clean it. The bbl should move to the rear only about a half an inch. Art at artsgunshop.com is good and could give professional help if needed.
    Doug

18. Joe Woods

Doug: Some people think I am an expert, but as you know that is not always the truth. Thankyou for your assistance. Any help is appreciated.

Yours Truly:

joe woods/ontario

19. Joe Woods

Thankyou to All.
    Well I took the Browning Double auto/Twelvette appart & cleaned it.Would not have happened without proper instruction.I guess I have never had this model stripped down.

Joe Woods/Ontario

20. Joe Woods

Update: I notice when the action is open the barrel on the Browning Double auto has slight movement, when action is closed Everything is firm.

Joe Woods/Ontario

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning 2 shot automatic shotgun

browning double auto

browning double auto parts

browning double auto reviews

browning double automatic

browning double automatic reviews

browning double automatic shotgun barrel
browning twelvette