1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Dot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Newcomer, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newcomer

Newcomer TS Member

I've been shooting about a year now and consistently shoot low 90's. I'm left eye dominant and shoot right handed. I had and older gentleman tell me i would never be a top shooter tell i could shoot with both eyes open. My question,is the Browning Dot worth trying out? I have wasted more money on dumber things before just wanted an opinion before i throw twelve bucks away. I've read some threads in the past saying scotch tape works too. will either of these improve my shooting? Do any of the big guns shoot one eyed?

Matt

2. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Use a piece of the frosted scotch tape. Mount the gun and have a buddy use a grease pen and mark the spot that blots out the bead.

Remove the glasses and use the smallest piece of tape you can get away with BUT... it blocks out the dominant eye to the bead.

Now yo have the two eyes for range of vision, you have depth perception and your right eye is dominant again.

But... for what its worth... mount the gun, open both eyes looking out past the trap field. DO NOT LOOK AT THE BEAD. Its called "Bead checking" and is a major no no. If the gun is mounted correctly and it will shoot where you look, your eyes are the sights. The gun will shoot where you look.

But... the tape does work without paying the 10 bucks for a majic dot.

I think Franke Hoppe is a one eyed shooter, I could be wrong but I think he is.

There are a lot of good/great shooters that use only one eye.

I find 2 eyes best.

Try driving your truck with one eye.

3. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

The scotch tape does work for a lot of people. There are also some front beads you can get ( I think one is called the uni-dot) That will only allow your right eye to see the bead. You just have to try different things and find what will work for you. There are some very good one eyed shooters but I think is would be worth your effort to see if one of these things work for you.

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Find the new Kiner DVD or borrow it. He does the best job of describing the dominant eye problem and how to approach it.

5. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

It's definitely worth trying, as is the scotch tape. I believe that everyone's eyes, brain, and wiring is different. There's no "correct" lens color for us all, nor is there a "correct" eye-shooting method. You may be 90% left-dominant, someone else 60%. My wife's an almost-perfect 50-50, her coach said she's a "cyclops." She absolutely can't shoot successfully without a dot. Some cross-eye-dominant people have trained themselves to shoot 2-eyed rather than using the dot, some just don't seem to be able to. Some of those who can, say the rest of us haven't tried hard enough. Possible, but I don't buy it. Some learn to shoot left-handed to solve cross-dominance. I've tried shooting lefty, and just don't want to go that route. The dot works perfectly for many people. I use it, and will continue to. I will say, the dot restricts your vision a little. When I shoot without a dot, I see quite a lot better, as though a grease spot was cleaned off my glasses lens. Problem is, I see "both" targets clearly, and have clean, unexplained misses that make me crazy. I need to understand every shot, and an unexplained miss just ruins me, it's something I just won't tolerate. Phil E

6. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Go to eye dr tell him what you want to acomplish then have him fit you up properly , I have same problem it just gets worse . There;s no cheap fix thats worth fooling around with .

7. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I don't want to hurt Browning's business, and I bought the Magic Dots. Avery Round Labels are basically the same thing, come in various sizes and colors, and 800 cost about $5.00. The don't come with the alignment dot like the Browning ones do.

Danny

8. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

That Browning Magic Dot is worth trying out, which I have & tried & don't use anymore. Squinting my left eye works better than the dot for me. A slightly shorter (1/4")length of pull on the stock also aligned my sight picture better, which also seemed to help solve my cross-firing problem.

I'd rather spend the $15 for the Magic Dot than use adhesive scotch tape on my Decot lense. If you don't need prescription shooting glasses, I would try scotch tape on a pair of the cheap Remington or Smith & Wesson shooting glasses that Wally sells, to see if it helps, or I'd just go buy & try the Magic Dot. - JoeBerg

9. Perazzi-Mx8

Perazzi-Mx8 TS Member

I have seen people just cut off the sticky part of a band-aid and stick it on their glasses. I think that would be cheaper but whatever you like.

10. Newcomer

Newcomer TS Member

Thanks everyone for your replys. Seems at least one thing is evident, that it is worth my while to get both eyes open, one way or another.

Thanks Again,
    Matt

11. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Lots of top shooters use the dots and are able to shoot with both eyes open. Nora Ross shoots with only one eye open and her record speaks for itself. Bill Malcolm

12. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Nora Ross is the only "top shooter" I can think of that is one eye. Debbie Ohye used to be one eye, was a good shooter but not nearly as dominate as she is now using two eyes. I don't disagree that you can be a good one eyed shooter but if your goal is to be an All-American I think you will be severly handicapped.

13. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Frist off some facts......The first and MOST important is some people MUST shoot a dot [or close an eye] to be able to shoot no matter hard hard you work or try to shoot two eyes.

2. Kiner says that many if not MOST misses could be caused by some form of cross-firing.

I have been shooting 14 years with a dot and will NEVER be able to shoot with two eyes. Can you be a top shooter!!! If you consider AA in both singles and doubles then yes. Can you be an all-american.....well at least one is.

Here are some tips... Get someone who has fit dots before help you. Placement may be more critical than you think. It is more than just [blocking] the left eye to 'see the sight' 2. You will need to shoot at least 1000 targets to see if this will work for you. after all for the first 100 you will still be trying to close an eye.
    Is a dot "better" than closing an eye????? A BIG YES!!!!!

You will also need to get your gun on the house...DO NOT hold a gun mount higher than the leading edge of the house!!!! I am most likely missing some other tips......but start here.

GS

14. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

I currently use Browning’s dot. The negative thing about the dot is that I feel they are too big and block out to much. Mine blocks out most of the barrel, all of the bead, and yes the bird too. What's the point of shooting with both eyes open when the dot blocks most of your vision out of one eye? I've been thinking about going back to tape and cutting it down to maybe 1/2 a centimeter in diameter, just enough to block that front bead. If you're like me, once that bird passes my barrel, the only picture I see (with the dot) is the bird in relationship to the barrel with my aiming eye, the other eye with the dot doesn't even come into play at this point. So I ask, why bother with two eyes if the wrong one is the dominant one. The only plus I see for both eyes open and using a dot is for hard rights or lefts depending on if your a lefty or a righty.

Hawk,

15. Steve L.

Steve L. Member

Frank Hoppe is a two eyed shooter.

16. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

After MANY years as a dot shooter....DO NOT go to small for your dot. Get the one for shotgun shooting, NOT rifle or pistol!!!!! I new the "inventor" Of the "dot" which is not browning.He could right you a book on the "whys" Also get someone who has placed dots for shooters before!!!!!!!!!

GS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

magic dot shooting aid

scotch tape dot for shooting