Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Browning Disassembly information on the web...?

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  StansCustoms 
#1 ·
Is there any place on the web that professional gunsmith manuals can be bought and downloaded on the web??

I've got time to do some stuff today...and would like to get a manual immediately for a BT-99.

Professional gunsmith manuals...NOT owners manuals, or the like.

Thanks...Stan...

#4 ·
Cut the bottom of a large, clear, plastic bag out just big enough to get your hand through, and put the receiver inside of it when you attempt the springs. It will save you the extra half hour looking for the springs, when they get away on you. The main spring is a little tougher to get to on a BT-99, due to the sleeve that is around the main spring. Jon

#5 ·
I suggest searching for a Browning BT-99 Field Service Manual.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/10721871/books-videos/books/browning-shotgun-bt-99-field-service-manual

You may already know this but in case you don't, the mainspring can get away on you, it is quite long when it is uncompressed.

I found it a challenge to reinstall until I came up with the idea for a simple guide that helps with the re-installation.

#6 ·
Thanks for the tip Stl Flyn...
My top lever screw is tighter than the dickens...is that normal?

...and do you just remove the Top Lever screw and let the spring pop out..or something else. How about reinstalling it.

Ok Rem870TB...
Are you gona' tell me about that simple guide for the main spring installation??? LOL....

Stan...

#7 ·
I wasn't sure it would be of interest.

it is a steel rod .173" in diameter, 3"long with one end bored out to .145" bore for a depth of .25"

It serves as a temporary extension of the Main Spring Guide during assembly, the .145" bored end is made to fit over the tapered end of the Main Spring Guide during this procedure.

The .173"outer diameter is made to fit in hole through the rear of the Tang Piece where the Mainspring seats (at least on the post-2000 BT's).

It has been a while since I used it so my description may fall down a bit.

Basically the Guide is inserted into the spring and fits over the tapered tail of the Main Spring Guide, supporting the spring for its entire length. The temporary guide fits through the hole in the Tang Piece.

The guide supports the spring along its entire length to prevent buckling, as the spring compresses, the guige comes out the back of the Tang Piece, through the hole. Once the hammer is fully cocked, the guide can be pulled out the rear of the Tang piece, just don't pull the trigger after that ;)

#8 ·
Rem870TB..

Thanks for that information...I'm not seeing how this will work on my gun.. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I think you did a good job of describing how it worked on your gun.

Mine is an '82 model, but I thought all the BT-99 were about the same...other than wood /cosmetics.

The problem I'm having is the spring guide and sleeve has to go into the cavity just above and forward of the trigger.. to be in the receiver at all. Leaving little room for pushing the spring onto the guide. Then after the spring is on (when and if) ...it will be VERY difficult to move the guide and spring out of the cavity and into it's normal resting position...mainly because the guide sleve is all you can grab (it moves up and down on the guide pin)...and the guide pin is still lodged down in the trigger cavity....with no way to grab it, and move it out that I can see.

I'm obviously missing something here...or there is a very specific tool that is needed.

Best regards..Stan..

#10 ·
This is how I removed the main spring from my wifes BT99. Lower the hammer so its in the fired position. Take a set of long need nose pliers(I wrap the tips with duck tape so not to marr anything metal) Now I take a cloth (dish rag,shop rag whatever sort of rag) lay it/ wrap it around spring(thus not to shooting out anywhere) (especially not at your face or into your eye) Take the needle nose pliers and carefully w/pressure compress the hammer spring by pushing the hammer spring and its guide rod backwards so you can remove spring and rod out and to the right. Hope this helps

Jason in PA

#11 ·
Something is screwy on my gun then..?

I don't see any way that can be done with mine...the rod is too long....it binds in the hole to the rear of the receiver before I can slide over (right or left) far enough to get it out.

The forward part that rest on the hammer had to be slid over into the cavity above the trigger (where the sear goes). Then the spring had to be removed while the rod is still in the sear cavity...The rod could then be pulled rearward and out. All this is very close comming out...and even more difficult in reverse going back. Putting the spring back on looks to be a real challenge the way it had to come out..

What other other parts were removed before you could remove your hammer spring, guide and sleeve

What approximate year model is your gun if you can estimate. ?

Mine is an older one (albeit very clean)..a 1982 according the serial number.

Many thanks..Stan

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.