1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Cynergy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ron Dezenzo, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Dezenzo

Ron Dezenzo TS Member

Greetings: I am considering a Browning Cynergy combo(34/32). I live in NE Ohio and have been searching some web sites. I can't seem to find what I am looking for. What is it about Browning availability of this model shotgun that I don't know. Thanks for your response.

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It is not a popular trap gun. If you've shot one and you're certain you like the gun and its style, and can tolerate the trigger, then keep looking because you will be able to get a nice one at a really good price. Just make sure you want it and don't overpay, because resale on these is a bear.

-Gary

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Its a great design- does need a trigger job but balances well and the ignition is very fast

Very strong lockup

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. Orange49

Orange49 TS Member

I own one and agree with Gene. It's a great gun, often overlooked I think - especially for the price. If you search you can likely find one in the 3500-4k range used. They popup here from time to time. Good luck.

5. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Again someone says Cynergys need a trigger job! Have you ever shot one, Gene?
    The trigger in later Cynergys is as good as any other Browning trigger, and better, to my mind, than some other, higher priced guns I have shot. Some of the early ones had some problems, but they fixed those problems long ago, and later production guns are just fine. I have never been aware of the trigger in my Cynergy, other than when I don't release the trigger sufficiently to allow a second shot in doubles.

6. g7777777

I have owned 3 cynergys actually and one was a trap combo-- all needed trigger jobs actually

But shooting Sailor mentions later cynergys- it has been a couple of years since I purchaed one- so maybe that issue is fixed--- needing a trigger job isnt a bad thing but the triggers are different so you have to find someone that can do one but again maybe a new one isnt like that

regards from Iowa

Gene

The pluses on this gun far outweigh the negatives- it is a technological leap forward

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Great guns, but some people find them ugly, so Browning came out with the 725.

8. rrose

rrose TS Member

I have had 2 trap combos and 3 sporting versions and had no issues with the triggers on any of mine. I liked the guns overall better than the more expensive brands that I owned before them. But that is because they seem to fit me well and I liked the way they swing to the taget for me, It is all in the way they feel to you. The resale is not good as has been stated but if you try one and it fits you then you likely can get one for a decent price if it is used. I also liked that the barrels from one would fit the frame of the other with little or no work other than turning a screw in the fore arm.
    Good luck with your search
    randy

9. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Is the 725 essentially the same gun, or Mechanically at least??

10. johnpe

johnpe Member

I'm shooting a Cynergy Sporting for sporting clays. I won it in a raffle a few years ago and frankly, didn't really shoot it much for about three years. The stock design was UGLY (still is), but it had an extremely nice piece of wood. It's a shame what Browning did to such nice wood. They need to be strung up by their thumbs for screwing it up. That said, I found I shot the gun quite well and better than my other guns. After several thousand rounds it began to double. Had it fixed and after another several thousand rounds it began to double again. Had it fixed again and after a bunch more thousands of rounds no more problems. The trigger pulls of both barrels have always been really good. If you like the Cynergy, I would certainly recommend it. When you use a gun hard, expect some minor work from time to time.

Johnpe

11. Rubicon_Joey

Rubicon_Joey Active Member

I bought a new Cynergy Sporting Classic new a few years ago and I really enjoyed it. I shot it really well but, I did have some trouble with it. The forearm screws at one point would loosen up about every 50 rounds. A little red loctite solved that problem though. I also had trouble with a little wiggle in the comb. I was able to stretch one of the springs they used in and it seemed to fix it. I really liked the design of the comb though, it was really easy to adjust through the recoil pad. No set screws or washers to mess with, just loosen the clamp and move it where you wanted. You could even leave it loose, adjust it, shoulder it like normal and then adjust some more until you got it where you wanted it before tightening it down where as other combs might move around when you shoulder the gun.

Then there was the trigger. I cant pin point what it was about it, but it wasn't right. The combination of the trigger and my mind would sometimes result in some late shots and even occasionally me failing to pull the trigger completely and an awful flinch on my part. When it happened it looked like I was going to fall over. It still wasn't a bad trigger, just not the quality I would have expected from Browning.

I ended up selling it right after I bought a cynergy trap combo I picked up on here, which I am starting to enjoy more and more. It's required me tinkering with the comb, rib and rad system to get it right, but I'm shooting it pretty darn well now. I've only shot it four times now but, the trigger feels about the same. However, it hasn't given me any trouble.

If you don't mind the travel or to pay the FFL fees, the last time I was Indiana gun club they had a couple trap combos sitting on the shelf. They aren't popular guns but, that just means when you do find them they are normally priced right. I think the original gun with the synthetic stock, goofy recoil pad and odd engraving gave them a bad name from the get go and people have hated them ever since then even though they now have some really nice wood, decent engraving and normal recoil pads. I think the looks of the guns with wood and a normal recoil pad look better than most citoris. I used to want a 525 or XT trap but, after owning the cynergy I don't think I want one anymore. I do wish they offered the classic sporting/trap cynergys in a golden clays though.

I have gotten compliments on the looks of both guns (the trap combo and classic sporting) from people who didn't know what it was until I told them.

There are only three small things I would like to see changed...they are:
    1. Fill in the area in the front of the trigger guard. When packing the gun on my shoulder it digs in a little more than other over and unders. It's also takes a little more effort to clean that area. I also thing it would look a little better filled in.
    2. Make the top lever a little taller. I like to push it over with the pad part of my thumb and I don't always catch it just right to make it open all the way.
    3. Make the top lever release pin easier to push. Once you take the barrels off the gun you have to push a pin about the size of the firing pin to release it. I normally have to grab a quarter or something hard to push against it.

12. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

13. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Has anyone tried the trap version with a PFS stock or do they not make one for this model.. I know they do for the XT.

14. g7777777

No the 725 is old technology citori

Now everyone isnt dumping the cynergys at all- where did you come up with that?

Good gun and signifantly smaller yet stronger action- a action that could have only been made in todays world due to the receiver cuts and the computer programing needed to make them

Regards from Iowa

Gene

15. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I didn't csre for the one I had. Could not find a Gun Smith
    that would convert it to a release. I took a good bath to get
    rid of it.

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

At least most of the big Cynergy baths are in the past. Blaser baths, on the other hand, still have some suds left, LOL.

-Gary

17. Rubicon_Joey

Rubicon_Joey Active Member

No bath here...I made ~$400 when I sold my Cynergy and I bought it new!

18. superump

superump TS Member

I have owned the combo for three years and lost track of how many thousands of rounds I have put through it and I do NOT have ONE complaint about this gun! I would buy another one tomorrow if I needed one! I got mine from Cove Creek Outfittters and Erics price could not be matched or beat!

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Joey: Did you use it to hold-up a bank while you were selling it? Har-har-har.

-Gary :p

20. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Hack,
    If still looking - email me. I have an excellent condition 34/32 combo I would be willing to sell very reasonably.
    Brian bluskyct@yahoo.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning cynergy

browning cynergy forum

browning cynergy trap

browning cynergy trigger job

loose cynergy trigger guard