1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Cynergy or Citori for Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigMan76, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigMan76

BigMan76 TS Member

I have been shooting Trap with an old Browning A5 and love it! I need to purchase a true trap gun though and would like to stay in the Browning family. I poked around Browning's website and it looks like it woudl come down to a Citori or Cynergy. any thoughts? I'd like to purchase a trap gun that would maintain its quality for decades (the A5 I have dates to the '40s).

Any considerations (barrel length, adjustable comb, etc).
    One of my concerns though is that I woudl spend more time trying to "dial in" a shotgun with a number of options or movign pieces compared to one that was more or less ready to go out of the box.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Mike

2. bt 99

bt 99 TS Member

Mike I have a Citori Trap Special and like them a lot. Mine has a 30 inch barrel--ported w/adjustable stock. The trap guns have a higher rib which is necessary for cooling on a hot trap day of shooting. The low ribs of field guns heat up and the heat waves off the barrel is not good for looking at targets.

I have all the original browning choke tubes and i purchased some extended c-tubes in diferent chokes and some regular c-tubes to cover most shooting conditions. Sporting Clays--Doubles, ect. The extended c-tubes make a 32 or 34 inch barell.

The Citori is basically non adjustable which is good for me. Hope this helps. Steve

3. philk

philk Member

Wow, these Cynergy vs Citori,XT threads are getting to be like 7 1/2 vs 8`s or green dot vs red dot.

4. GOT A PAIR

GOT A PAIR TS Member

So what,the man wants info.

5. philk

philk Member

Mike, From an old A5 lover to another,I have two Cynergy`s and few Citori`s. Both are good guns but have totally different handeling. The Citori is a tall reciever, the Cynergy is a low profile reciever and IMHO is a much more responsive handeling gun. Get as much adjustability as you can, it`s not that hard to get them set up to fit you. Try both if you can and get what feels best to you.

6. sstella

sstella TS Member

I a Browning Cynergy Combo up for sale if you are interested. I never had any issues with the triggers shot it for 2 seasons with great results.
    Steve S.

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Go to any trap shoot and see how many XT's are there and then see if you can find one Cynergy trap gun. That should answer your question.

8. 525Shooter

525Shooter Member

I have the XT with 32" barrels and I love it. You can't go wrong with the tried and true action of the Citori. I have also shot the Cynergy (Father-in-law's Sporting Model) and it was nice but I felt more comfortable with the XT.

9. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

In my area the XT's are every where and there is not one Cynergy that I can recall.
    XT has much better resale and triggers.

10. philk

philk Member

Triggers on both of my Cynergys are at least equal to or better than on my Citoris. Seat of the pants lock time is quicker than my BT Plus. Regardless of what you buy the triggers could probably use some work. Citoris have been for sale for about 28 years so I would think there would be more of them around. See what you started here Mike :)

11. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I shoot an XT and love it. My best buddy has the Cynergy Classic combo and we both love that one. Were I you, I would stay away from the original Cynergy,(and the original Citori, for that matter!) You can't go wrong with either of the above. Seer which you like the best and which you want to spend the money for. (You can buy an XT for 1800-2000 whereas the Cynergy Classic combo will run you about 3500.) Martinpicker

12. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

I have a like new XT with 32" barrels and a monte carlo stock for sale. Has Diana grade extended chokes and triggers have been done. It is a ready to go out of the box unit. I also have the box and papers and goodies. Purchased new January 2011. Let me know if you are interested. Oh and my vote is for the citori also and not because I hope to sell you this one but based on experience shooting two different cynergy's. You may PM me for details on both.

13. Slugo

Slugo Member

I use a Browning Lightning Sporting Clays 30" barrels with the high-rib. Pop in a mod/full choke and I'm off to the races. Wouldn't trade the gun for any other...

14. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

There were at least 4 of us shooting Cynergys in competition on the weekend, out of about 35 shooters.There were about 12 Citoris or XTs, a few Kreighoffs, Berettas, Perazzis, and several single barrel Brownings. It seems around here that if people are buying new guns, they are buying either XTs or Cynergys, with Cynergys, mostly combos, slowly becoming more popular. There were some problems with early Cynergys, but no one I know has had a problem with one lately. A local gunsmith has perfected releases for Cynergys, and that has really had people looking at buying them.

My Cynergy is a Clasic Trap O/U with adjustable comb and 32" barrels.. It fits me much better than an XT, because of the longer wrist allowing me to wrap my hand around the stock without having the nose of the comb pushing into the ball of my thumb, and also letting the palm swell fill my hand better. Try both for fit, shoot them both if you can, and make up your mind after that. If you buy an adjustable gun, set it for your comfort, pattern it, then shoot at least 500-1000 targets before resetting anything. Get used to it, shoot it, and no matter which gun you choose, it should last you a lifetime.

15. AEP

AEP Member

I own a Cynergy "Classic Trap Combo". Very good gun. The triggers can be made to shoot a 3 lb pull. The one complaint is the O/U barrel is non-adjustable for POI. That being said I am happy with it.

The main thing is what you like for fit and feel. Don't worry about picking up someone elses gun and not breaking 25. The gun needs to fit you. Time spent on the pattern board and on the firing line will help you in having the gun fit you.

Either gun is good. I think the Cynergy has/is getting a bad rap. Shoot one and see for yourself.

Good Luck,
    Andy

16. BigMan76

BigMan76 TS Member

Thank you everyone for your input! Work has gotten the best of me lately and kept me off the boards. I have a bit of digesting to do.

Thanks again!
    Mike Guzan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning cenergy trap stock
browning cynergy classic trap review
browning cynergy sporting reviews

browning cynergy trap

browning cynergy vs citori

citori vs cynergy
citori xt vs cynergy trap