1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Citori XT v Cynergy Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WJN, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WJN

WJN TS Member

Morning guys.

I am new to trap and I am window shopping for a starter gun. It seems to me the entry point for both the Browning Cynergy Trap and the Citori XT are fairly close for just an O/U model. If any of you guys are familiar with both guns do you have any words of wisdom concerning the two models? I was looking at the Cynergy Classic - the one that doesn't have the unique stock. I can see the dimension and specification differences just not sure about the hidden pros and cons if any. I am looking at a lot of makes and models but these two seemed close in a lot of ways and just wondering if there is anything that might separate them?

Thanks. Jim

2. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Jim.....another thought might be a new SKB 85 TTR combo. Brownings are great, but the SKB is just a thought if you are window shopping or just starting out.
    Lots of shooters on here will list Pros/Cons of Brownings and SKB....but SKB is a thought!

3. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

I have two Cynergy's . One is a trap combo. I have approximately 7500 rounds through mine with out any issues. They are not as popular as the XT's and the resale value of the Cynergy does not seem to be as good as the XT. They are mechanically different as well . If you are only looking at these two models, get the one which feels best in your hands .

4. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

If you think that you will ever want/need a release trigger, go with the XT.

5. rrose

rrose TS Member

The XT and Cynergy are very different, you should try to shoot one first to see which fits you best. The Cynergy does for me however the xt is more popular, has better resale and has more aftermarket products available including release triggers. Another good option would be the Beretta 682- 687 which also has its own feel but has many options available even more than the XT.
    randy

6. WJN

WJN TS Member

All good info. I did get to shoot a Cynergy and my miserable scores jumped radically. I will take a closer look at the SKB combo.

Thanks. Jim

7. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Although I shoot an XT, I don't have a dog in this fight. My son tried the Cynergy but didn't like it and sold it after 50 rounds. I'm just passing this on, so no flames, but a local well known gunsmith (factory warranty station) told us the Cynergy was about equal to a Ruger Red Label. It was a a combo set and my son had no problem selling it but did take a bit of a loss. So, between the two, the XT would be the better choice.

8. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I sometimes shoot an XT and I kinda like it. I was away from trap for about 19 years shooting sporting clays. I got back into trap about 2 years ago with my then new XT. I'm still getting adjusted to it. And I also shoot a Perazzi and a couple of Berettas. There's a guy I shoot with that says he has put about 200,000 rounds through his "Special Sporting Clays", a gun built on the same action, and has had to change firing pins and a couple of springs, and a locking block, but according to him, that's about it. I do know that XT's are popular and if you don't like it, I pretty sure you could sell it. Somehow, I could never warm up to Cynergy's, but that's me....

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Most clubs and shoots I've been to the rack is full of XT's to the point you need to put something on yours to id it so you don't grab the wrong one. The Cynergy? ehhh you don't have to worry about that one. I will say the Cynergy owners are passionate about them.

10. BARTMAN

BARTMAN TS Member

I have a cynergy classic field and love it. I have shot both and prefer the cynergy. Feels more natural and not as bulky. I shoot a little trap and dove hunt with it. I would love to have the cynergy trap.

11. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

No brainer....XT.

12. AEP

AEP Member

This debate could go on forever and never get resolved.

Shoot both of them and deside for yourself. They are both good guns. I've shot both and choose the Cynergy Combo. Very happy. No problems. Either gun, if purchased new, will have a crappy trigger. That's the way Browning wants it. That can be fixed.

I don't know how serious you are. I would look into either a used combo Cynergy or XT.

The good thing about the Cynergy is the bad rap they get keeps the used prices down.

It's not the gun its the shooter. I know guys that spent over 10k for a gun and the guy with a BT-99, used, whoopes them.

Get what you like and what feels good to you.

Andy

13. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I've gone home many a time with my tail between my legs because of an old timer with a BT 99....

14. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

I have an XT because I need release triggers. If I could shoot pull triggers I would want a Cynergy because I like the slim receiver but no way would I buy one other than used; the financial hit is hard on the Cynergy. I've seen the inside of both and the XT's proven mechanism needs no further mention. To me, the striker mechanism of the Cynergy could eventually prove to be better. It's very well built IMO.
    As others say here just shoot them both and decide what you like. Mark.

15. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I keep hearing on here about how the Cynergy triggers are no good, you can't put releases in a Cynergy, the resale value sucks, the XT is the only way to go, and on and on. While there may have been problems with very early production Cynergy triggers, I haven't heard of any problems in any of the recent guns owned by shooters around here. The triggers in my gun are good enough that I am not aware of them when shooting, so they, at least, must be okay. If I was aware of them, I would feel differently. I always felt that if you are concentrating on your trigger, you aren't paying enough attention to your target. As for release triggers, I have posted here several times that Gordy Keller, in Duncan, British Columbia, can and has put releases in Cynergys, and the shooters are more than happy with the job he did. One guy went from a Kreighoff combo to the Cynergy combo, and after the initial learning curve, is shooting just as well as he did with the K gun. As far as resale goes for them, I think that in a few years we will be seeing a lot more Cynergys, and less Citoris (XTs) on the line, as they become more accepted. We as shooters are liable to try any goofy thing we see on European guns (short high ribs come immediately to mind), but a new design from a North American manufacturer is treated like a red headed stepchild. How many European guns have mechanical triggers, and are readily accepted by us? I am sure this running down the new design was happening back when the over & under first reared its head on trap fields, and the old timers who knew everything there was to know about trapshooting probably said the new gun was no good, nothing would ever replace the Model 12, or 870, or whatever was in vogue at the time.

Jim, my advice to you is to find one or more of each model to shoot, try them out under as many different conditions as possible, and buy the one that fits best and breaks the most targets. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that if one gun chips and chunks 25, but the other powders 22, the one that powders the targets is the one for you. If you can break high scores, no matter how it happens, that is the gun to consider most seriously. As a matter of interest, when shooting my Citori I was a C singles, 20 yard handicap, D doubles shooter. In 2 years with a Cynergy, I am A singles, 26 1/2 yard handicap, A doubles.

16. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Most gunsmiths won't attempt to better the trigger pull on a Cynergy.
    That's because the gun utilizes strikers rather than a conventional
    hammer. It's also why it's so difficult to get a release put in one.
    Buy the XT. Ay least you won't loose as much when do decide to move up
    to a better gun.

17. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Cynergy feels and handles better (for me anyhow). I love my combo set.

18. Slugo

Slugo Member

try both, that will be the best measure of each gun. This can be debated longer than a congressional house bill...

19. XT=dontmiss

XT=dontmiss TS Member

xt, pushing 75k with only a set of wolf high power springs and .020" longer pins.

20. deadnout

deadnout Member

having just bought a xt trap combo from guns unlimited. i starting shooting it and couldnt do so good. i got it with a m/c stock and 32" o/u and 34" unsingle. i wasnt shooting too good with it so got the gun fitted. i had a gra-coil 4way adjustable comb put on and a edwards adjustable butt plate put on it with a kick-ezz pad. now im shooting alot better. its a good gun and i like the way it handles. now if i can just get the shooter to work right. just my 2 cents worth. i looked at the skb and the 682 beretta. both good guns. see if you can shoot these guns before you buy anything and see which one you prefer and feel you can shoot. good luck on your decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning citori cynergy xt trap

citori cynergy trap gun

cynergy xt trap