1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Citori XT Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bigred5850, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigred5850

bigred5850 TS Member

I have a question for the Browning experts. Are Browning Citori barrels interchangable? What are the differences? I shot sporting clays with some friends recently and I used my Citori XT trap with 32" barrels. After lugging it around for 2 hours it got kind of heavy. My friend used a Citori GTi with 28" barrels. I shouldered it and it was much lighter. So I thought maybe I would look into buying 28" barrels. But, there was a problem. When I tried installing his GTi barrels on my XT. It would only closed half way. He had another Citori (not sure of model) with 32" barrels and it would only close half way as well. Any thoughts?

2. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

My search for the answer to the same question has yielded this answer.

One should not expect Browning Citori barrels to interchange.

If they do, it is a very rare case of blind luck.

Do not spend money on a set of barrels thinking that they might interchange.

The same is true of Browning BT-99 barrels.

Enough money spent with the right gunsmith can change all things. That amount of money, and finding the right gunsmith, might exceed the cost of another Browning.

3. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Browning Citori barrels are definitely NOT interchangeable. Each barrel set is fitted to its receiver. I have tried switching with several guns and usually (but not always) you can't switch. And when you can switch, who's to say whether the fit is too loose?

It just doesn't work.

And I think Browning likes it that way - they probably think it helps them sell more guns. But how many people shy away from a Citori because they can't buy another barrel set later? Hard to say, but that statistic (lost sales) never shows up on Browning's income statement, so they think they made a great decision.

Ted K.

4. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

The non-interchangeability of Browning XT barrels is typical of that type of shotgun and locking system. In fact, most higher end break action shotgun barrels do not interchange. There is usually a fair amount of hand-fitting involved to match the barrels to the receiver.

The Krieghoff K-80 is usually an exception to this mainly due to the sliding breech locking system, and also somewhat due to the precise CNC construction.

bluedsteel

5. racer

racer TS Member

The GTi is probably close to 2 lbs lighter than the XT. You wouldn't think there is a 2lb diff. in barrels would you? Maybe weigh the guns barrels off the receiver before you spend lots of money..... have fun. Dan

6. willing

willing Member

I have a XT Combo and switched barrels with 2 different XTs. All 3 worked.

Bill

7. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I have seen that some XT barrels do interchange. I have a guy in my club who has a gun just like mine, (Both XT's) and from the same run IE; the SN is very close to mine. My barrels will fit his gun and vice versa. We've tried them to confirm.

These guns have parts that are all made on very sophisticated newer CNC machinery, and in any "given run of parts" they won't vary but by one or two Ten Thousandths of an inch on any given dimmension. There is a small amount of hand fitting at assembly but it is minor and it is confined to specific areas and the mating parts are deliberately left a few thousandth's long for this purpose. Maybe a few file strokes is all that is needed to make fit.

Trying to fit parts from guns from different runs or different models is a different story, they may or may not even go to together.

Neither one of our guns has little if any file marks on fit points like the locking wedge, and none at all on the width of the breach block or any of the other locking lugs which are all ground to size to tenths. The other fit point that I know of is in the forend latch, and the distance from the lug on the barrel to the hinge surface on the forend, and breach block is the area of adjustment. As everyone knows they are set up tight so they wear in.

The K80 design which I believe is an improved version of the Remington 32 doesn't have these fitment issues, as the breach lock wedges down on the on the top of the breach block, so length variations don't affect lock up like they do on other designs. I know that I see an awful lot of Kreighoff barrels for sale here, and from talking to owners they tell me that the fitment of those barrels is a minor job for a "Qualified Kreighoff Gunsmith".So I don't think you should go after your K80 with a file and try to make your new barrels fit. There some things best left to them that knows.

As for the Citori, just use it as it is and if you really decide you need more barrels then buy another gun. I use mine for Trap, Skeet and SC, and all I do is change the choke tubes.

Randy

8. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Bill-

I have an XT Combo and I tried to switch barrels with two other guns (XT's). None worked.

I'm not trying to be rude; I just think you got lucky. There is also the possibility that the switches that seemed to you to be OK were too loose.

Ted K.

9. bigred5850

bigred5850 TS Member

Thanks to all for the info. I was very curious as to why it wouldn't come close to closing. This is all good info. I just figured it would fit...Darn, now I have to save money for a Gti.

10. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

CNC machining has made the interchangeability possible. When dealing in high grade guns such as krieghoff, and you've got a million dollars worth of Receivers and f.e.in stock, you have to be able to fit the wood and bbls. the customer wants or lose a large sale.
    This was not possible with old model 32s, they were all a little different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are browning citori barrels interchangeable

browning citori barrel interchangeability
browning citori interchangeable barrels
can you change barrels browning citori
ciori barrel interchangeability
how to switch barrels on browning xt
installing citori barrels
interchangeable barrels for citori xt