1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Citori wear??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hank55, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hank55

Hank55 Member

I recently purchased a Citori Trap that is in very good condition other than the lever is not right of center, it's basically in the center. I try to always close the action with the lever open and ease it down not to cause wear as I always have on my BT's. I also use probably heavier grease than normal to lube the notches and locking bar. Am I getting close to a rebuild in the near future or does the gun still have quite a bit of life in it since I bought it to shoot doubles?

2. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

Should still have quite a bit of life left. One of my oldest BT's had the lever to the left of center for the last decade and just recently gave up the ghost to an unrelated fate. Anyhow it sounds like you take the time to care for your firearms and that will help them to last many years beyond normal life expectancy.

J.F.

3. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

A good rule of thumb to see how much life is left in a Browning is to look at the position of the top lever with the barrels installed, and then remove the barrls and then let the top lever down to closed position. Look and see how much difference there is between the two positions and that is how much room there is left on the locking bolt. So in other words, if the lever is at 6 o'clock with the barrels on, and 7 o'clock with the barrels off, then you still have some life left in the gun before needing a rebuild. Garrett

4. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Not to worry my friend! I shoot a XT and have about 125,000 through it. Bottom barrel started failing to eject. I took it to Browning at the Grand and they went through it, put in a bunch of parts and charged me $50.00! Lever is to the right of center and I almost have to use both hands to open it.
    It is just a tight as the day I bought it.
    Shoot and have fun!

5. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

$300+ to have it "tightened" if it gets too loose, and IF it gets loose and you continue to shoot it, expect the extractor($) to break off.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"...expect the extractor($) to break off."</i></blockquote>
    If that happens during a shoot and you really want the ejector, the one from the other barrel will usually replace the broken one perfectly <br><center><I>OR...</I></center>

Replace the ejector springs (on the forestock iron) with the firing pin return springs from a Mod 1911 .45 cal. handgun with a couple coils ground off. This mod turns the ejectors into extractors and they will last forever that way. You can use cheaper hardware store springs as well. If you're interested in that mod, PM me and I'll give you the specs on the springs I used before the 1911 springs.

MK

7. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

I wouldn't worry about the lever not being to the right of centre. That applies to some O/U, but not all.

I have 2 brand new Browning 625 and there is only a very small lever to the right on either of them.

If yours starts to shoot open after the second shot, replace the spring and it should shoot for another 100,000 shots

8. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

I did the mod with the 1911 springs. I much prefer the extractors as well. The springs cost me about $10 from Brownells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning 625 part

browning citori lever not return to centre

browning cittori action wear indications
browning gti locking lever centered
citori barrel locking bolt
citori parts wear
is it ok browning citori lever right of center
well worn browning citori forum