1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Citori Unsingle Barrels?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by W.R.Buchanan, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

OK: Whats the deal on the unsingle barrels for Citoris. I see them come up regularly on this site. They all seem really expensive, and the highest one I have seen went for $2000. I paid $1950 for my gun so that is a little stupid for me.

I have also heard that Browning didn't sell this barrel, or the combo gun. These barrels are definately made by Miroku so WTF?

Did some outfit go to Miroku and have a run of barrels made, and then sell them as combos, or what is the real story here.

I really want one of these barrels for my gun, but the cheapest one I have seen for sale went for $1600, which is just about as rediculous as $2000.

Can someone shed some light on this subject. I don't need to hear about how the barrel is worth the price just because of scarcity, so that's what I'm going to have to pay. I want to hear the actual source, and if there is new production in the works or if there is any possibility of a more reasonable solution to this problem.

This is relatively new production stuff so the fair price should be around $1000. IE: half the gun's price. It is nothing more than a breach block with one tube, a plugged hole, and a rib. Citori's are production type guns, like a Rem 870, so the prices should be comensurate with this level of manufacture not the level of a handmade K80.

Whats the real story here?

Randy

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Browning doesn't offer individual barrels. Therefore, the price is determined by who wants the barrel & what price they will pay........there is virtually no supply so demand controls price.

3. 47bt99

47bt99 TS Member

The guns were made in a special run for Guns Unlimited and Jaqua’s mail order houses. The Citori XT Combo has a higher rib on its double barrel than the Citori XT you have. If you put the single barrel on your gun the rib will be too high for your stock. You will have to adjust the height of the comb each time you change barrels. The barrel would most likely have to be fitted to your receiver by a qualified gunsmith.

See link above.

Hope this helps.

Bob

4. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Bob: thanks for the heads up, I figured someone went right to the source, and had these made up, as an aftermarket product. I wonder how Browning feels about this? I also wonder if Miroku would entertain individual orders for unsingle barrels. Why Browning is looking this gift horse in the mouth I just do not understand. "People want the product, but we are just ignoring them because they annoy us, so we'll just let one of our distributors do it for us?" I just don't understand the corporate mentality.

The rib is not a problem, it is removable, and could be modified or replaced with a lower version. Making a new one would be a fun project for when I have nothing else in the shop, like after I retire.

As far as the fitting goes, I doubt there would be much to deal with because the Citori breach block is a CNC machined part and is probably being done in one chucking or at most 2, this means that all of the major dimensions are held really close relative to each other and the only variations are caused by tool wear. Since they are being done in Japan, I'm betting there is very little difference between any two of them. IE Super close tolerances, maybe a little minor fitment. If it does require a bunch of fitment then I'm sure Flynn could help.

I guess I'll just have to keep looking, sooner or later one will have my name on it.

Randy

5. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Not to confuse matters even worse! Randy are you talking about an XT un-single Combo, or a regular Citori. There was a gentleman the other day that had an un-single for a regular Citori, you don't see that often??

6. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Sir Miss; I have a new Citori XT 30 bbls purchased in Feb of this year. So I need one to fit my breach. When I said I doubt there is very much difference between any two breach blocks I was referring to ones made recently. Within like 1-2000 serial numbers of my gun.

It would not be unusual for the part to "evolve" slightly over the period of time and especially if someone other than the original machinist was now making the parts. What one guy looks for during a run of parts is very seldom what another guy will follow and do exactly the same as the first guy. Parts can be well within the tolerances on a particular drawing and still be significantly different. opefully if the engineers have designed said parts and assigned tolerances correctly, then everything should go together in the end.

In case any of you were wondering about this,,,, All Machine tools for metal working were originally designed specifically for the purpose of manufacturing interchangable parts for firearms. All other uses in manufaturing machined parts have come about after 1862. Prior to the inception of the Milling Machine, if you were a machinist you went to work in the morning and your boss handed you a part, a chunk of metal and a file and told you to go make one of these.

We've come along way in 150 years.

Randy

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Buy the Combo, sell your gun, and be done with it. Browning is not going to offer or fit extra barrels. Period.

Supply and demand.

I had a Combo for sale here at a brother-in-law price, but after dealing with a bunch of tire kickers, I parted the gun and Americase out and got $800 more for it than I asked for the set.

The Unsingle Combo is more gun than the XT, which is a fabulous gun in its own right, and is supremely suited for ATA chores.

8. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Another option...Guns Unlimited now have an XT with the unsingle barrel only for $2595 with a Monte Carlo stock or $2795 with an adjustable stock and the receiver is blued not silver.Check it out at Browning.com.

9. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I have an XT combo ( top single ) that I'm willing to sell all or part out if anyone is interested. Jim W

10. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

hate to say it but you will have a hard time getting 500.00 for a top single barrel while a unsingle will be nearly 2000.00.

11. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

A top single just sold on GunBroker for $1100.

12. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

The whole purpose of the unsingle barrel is to have the thrust of the case head as close as possible to the locking bar. So a top single is not the best design for a single barrel for that breach locking system. Plus that the unsingle barrels look way cooler anyway.

On a Beretta it doesn't matter which single barrel you use because the locking pins are between the barrels, and the case head thrust on the breach face pretty much has the same affect on the breach face from either barrel. IE; trying to open the gun. The Browning has a higher moment arm on the pivot pin and theoretically should loosen up sooner with a top single barrel than the unsingle barrel. I don't think I would ever see this happen as I'm sure it would take many many thousands of rounds to see the effect, but that's why I would want the unsingle barrel over the top single, and like I said earlier the unsingle barrel is much cooler looking.

Maybe a combo gun will come my way some day. The one coach just sold would have looked good in the back of my shooting brake.

Just need to get more motivated to actually spend the money. I'm still new at this game so give me a break. I've only ran 800 rounds thru my XT. But I'm shooting consistant 22-24's. Hope to get my hat shot up next weekend. I will let everyone know when it happens.

Randy

13. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Randy,Another thing to consider is that by shooting the bottom barrel or an unsingle barrel is that the recoil force is closer to your hands and more controllable and puts the recoil force straight into the shoulder and has less upward rotation to the cheek.Also,The unsingle barrel is adjustable for point of impact,where the top single is not.The Browning unsingle also has a removable plug in the top barrel stub to add weight if you want to where a Beretta does not....By the way if you are consistantly shooting 22-24s you will get 25,there is no reason you can't just stay FOCUSED.

14. JoeBobOutfitters

JoeBobOutfitters TS Member

Only shot 800 through your XT so far? I shot 800 in a weekend 2 weeks ago ;).

If you don't like the price of the unsingles...don't buy one I guess? Or...buy 1000 of em from a manufacturer like Miroku and get 1 real cheap and sell the rest for a profit...

15. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

FWIW, I tried every which way for about a year to get an unsingle barrel for my Citori XT Gold. I gave up, bought an unsingle Citori XT Gold combo from Guns Unlimited for about $5,100, and sold my regular Citori XT Gold for $3,500. Net cost for the upgrade was $1,600, not counting the fact that the gun I sold had an adjustable comb and a Gracoil recoil reducer and the gun I bought had neither. That seems to validate the $1,600 - $2,000 price for an unsingle barrel.

I should note that switching barrels between Citoris is a very chancy thing. It didn't work for any of the Citoris I had (and at one point I had three).

Ted K.

16. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Citori Shooter: yeah the "focused" thing surfaced several times during the last shoot. I'll get it, I've only shot the gun 4 times, and only shot trap 6 times so I think I'm progressing relatively rapidly.

Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning 725 unsingle barrel

browning citori barrels for sale

browning citori trap barrels

browning citori xt trap unsingle combo

browning unsingle barrel

browning unsingle barrel for sale

browning xt trap unsingle barrel

unsingle barrel for citori