1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Citori Safety

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mark Gadbois, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Gadbois

Mark Gadbois Member

I am sure you can guess why but what I would like to do is defeat the safety without marring the metalwork and being able to reverse the procedure when or if I decide to sell the gun. I do not care about losing the ability to select barrels. I always shoot the lower barrel first. Any been there and done that?

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

just leave it the safety in the fire position? do the newer citori have an auto safety?

3. Mark Gadbois

Mark Gadbois Member

I'm not sure what you mean by your first sentence. My Citori is about 15 years old and I'd like to lock down the safety lever, something that I believe can be done with Krieghoffs. I have no experience with the later models of Citoris so I do not know if they have auto safeties but I highly doubt it as these guns would be near worthless for skeet, sporting clays and doubles. I maybe wrong - have been before.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Are you simply wanting to lock the safety off with the ability to reverse the alteration?

I too ALWAYS shoot bottom barrel first.

5. Mark Gadbois

Mark Gadbois Member

6. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

I had a roll pin installed by a gunsmith. It prevents the selector from being moved. It can easily be removed with a punch. Cost was $35.00.

7. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

Small hole and set screw. Easily removed with allen wrench.
    Super glue. Easily removed with finger nail polish.

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As a former Browning factory Gunsmith, this seemed to be an interesting idea. I also prefer blocked safeties and selectors.

After a quick look see at the action, either a set screw or roll pin will work very well. The roll pin requires a hole through both sides of the upper tang, the set screw only requires a hole through the left side of the tang.

A fairly easy operation for a 'smith, quickly reversible without any permanent alteration to the gun, and not a bad idea. :^)

9. philk

philk Member

I had the safetys on both a Superlight Superposed 20 ga, my ruffed grouse gun, and a Gr6 Citori 16 done at Liabs Gunsmithing. What he does is disable the selector switch so they fire bottom barrel first. There is a small screw head visible in the center of the selecter/safety switch. Very neat job but to return them to original I think you would need to replace the switch with a new one, no big deal. The reason I had him do this was I would constantly jam the switch sideways in between barrels when I thumbed the safety off and moveing my thumb to the left side while a bird was flushing. As far as disabling the safety its self I dont think you will find many smiths willing to do that, liability you know.

10. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I don't see the need for disabling the safety on a Citori that's used as a target gun. It's not one of those "automatic safeties" which automatically engages every time you open the gun. It's a safety that stays where you put it.

The only possible reason I can think of is that you are concerned that someone else may put the safety of your gun in the ON position while your gun is sitting in the rack and possibly cost you a target. If that's your concern, then simply check the safety before going to the shooting line. And, if you ever catch someone doing that, take appropriate steps to make sure he/she never does it again. I know that no one would mess with MY gun like that...... at least not TWICE.

Easystreet

11. Mark Gadbois

Mark Gadbois Member

Easystreet:

Here's what happened, I shoot skeet and it was a competitive event. I missed low 8 because the safety was on. I must have brushed it - i.e. my fault - lost bird. Next field - I checked my safety at high 8 and it was on - switched it to off but brain cramp set in and missed high 8 - I did get low 8 but in a game of perfect I lose. So since I never need a safety or a barrel selector time to lock it out. To the others thanks for the ideas, I'll implement one. Mark near Chicago

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I've install the set screw into the left side of the top tang. It's very simple to do. You can also keep the screw a little loose so the safety works but not the selector.

I've also dropped a dap of loc-tite onto the safety block to 1) allow the safety to work 2) keep the safety from moving side to side.

doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning citori automatic safety

browning citori barrel selector switch

browning citori lightning saftey

browning citori safety

browning citori safety problems

problems with barrel selector switch on citori
removing auto safety feature browning citori
safety selector on citori lightning