1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Citori Questions/Advise

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cableguy, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

I just bought a Citori last week. My first O/U. My first Browning too. Since I am new to shooting sports, I'm going to throw some questions out to all of the experts.

The serial number ends in 'PW143' according to Browning, this means that the shotgun was manufacuured in 1984. But I couldn't find a designation for the '143' Can anyone tell me what the '143' designates?

What is the difference between the Invector series of chokes and the Invector Plus series, other than the price?

While the lever still locks up tho the right, It doesn't lock up very far to the right. Obviously the gun has been shot. What is involved in getting the lever back to the 'new gun' position? Is it worth the time and expense?

The stock is equiped with a Griggs Recoil Reducer. Adjustable in four directions. Also spring loaded just under the pad. There is a picture of the unit attached above. Can anyone give me information on this? A Google search turned up a lot of patent info but not much else.

I have been a reader and, occasional poster of the TS threads for a while now but this is my first real 'shotgun question'.

Thank you in advance for all of the help.

Shawn

2. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

[​IMG]

OK, I'll get this photobucket thing down but, it will take a while. The photobucket link above shows a pic of the Griggs Recoil Reducer. (I think).

Thanks

Shawn

3. mike b.

mike b. Member

Googled citori 143 and found that it is a citori trap w/monte carlo stock. Lever near middle indicates use but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Not familiar w/ recoil reducer.

4. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Mike, Thanks. I never thought about Google for the serial number. Can anyone tell me about the Griggs though?

5. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

The Griggs is commonly refered to as a "recoil director".....it unlocks and slides when the gun is fired to supposedly direct the force of recoil away from your face and provide something that gives rather than a solid lock up. The breakaway force can be adjusted. I've been working on stocks for over 5 years ads have only seen 2 in use in that period of time. I re installed a used one (1 of the 2) for a fellow and adjusted it. I really can't see that it helped much with recoil. JMO.

Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

6. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Ken. Thank you for the info. There was a phone number for Griggs on another thread. I called it and got a generic voice mail/answering machine. I left a message and I hope that someone will call me. Thanks to all who read and replied.

Shawn

7. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Cableguy- The dirrerence between the Invectors and the Invector-plus are thread size. The plus series are for the factory back(over)bored guns. The invector chokes will NOT fit an invector-plus gun and vice versa. The markings on the barrel will tell you what you have.

Larry

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

cableguy, let me try to explain the difference to you. A 12 ga. shotgun normally had a bore dia. right after chamber of app. .722. With the newer shotguns (target) to lighten the recoil abit they overbored the barrel dia. in the brownings (Inv. plus) to app. .733 or .734. Since the choke at the end of your gun is measured by how much it closes by the barrel size they would not be the same choke in the different barrel sizes. minus .005 choke is skeet minus another .010 and you have improved cylinder and so on. some guns like Kolar and the other K gun have barrel sizes up to .750 and .740 is the normal size for target guns in alot of the higher end priced guns. They also lenthen the forceing cones. If you look into the barrel it is that rim that is about 1/16 of inch smaller at end of chamber. When the lead shot leaves the shell it hits that edge(made that way for old style felt wads) not the newer shot cup plastic wads.It hits rim and deforms the lead pellets and they fly out of the pattern do to odd size. Both are done to reduce felt recoil and to give you a better pattern. Hope this helps you, and not confuse you. Break-em all. Jeff

9. JW Heck

JW Heck TS Member

I have a question about my Citori. I have a 1993 Special Sporting model. On the receiver it says Browning Sporting Clays, then below that and on the side it says Pigeon.

What does the Pigeon signify? Just a little gold design on the side? I can't see any other difference with other Citoris I have seen.

10. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

To all who replied. Thanks for all of the HELPFULL information. Your patience with a rookie like me is profoundly appreciated. It seems that all of my questions have been answered. I shot 3 rounds yesterdy and I must admit that it was funner than puppies! I have a huge learning curve ahead and I'm sure that I will have more questions. The threads here have very helpfull, even the smart a$$es have some good advice once in a while. I will continue to read the threads and post one or two on occasion.

THANK YOU ALL!

Shawn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
143 meaning on a browning citori

1984 browning citori

1993 browning citori back bored how can you tell

browning citori 143

browning citori 1984 12g 143
browning citori trap designtion
browning citori trap designtion in serial number r43