1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Citori Plus - I'm in the club

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Not that my 870TB doesn't qualify me.

Today I bought a Browning Citori Plus, 32" ported gun. These have adjustable rib, comb and butt. Came with two chokes in the gun and one other (which is IM).

No choke wrench. Do I buy a wrench, or is there a universal tool that works?

I guess I can search and find the owners' manual online, but how do the adjustments on the rib and butt work? The comb is fairly easy to figure out. Also, the LOP is just under 14" with a 15/16" gap showing on the butt plate. Is that about normal for these guns?

Any experience anyone has will be appreciated. Rain here today and tomorrow, so I'm not sure when I'll get to try it out. I did shoot it out behind the gun shop (where it was on consignment) to make sure it fired.

Danny

2. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Hey Danny

Good to hear you did buy the Citori Plus, you will enjoy it for sure, as I did mine, by the way, I would suggest getting a choke wrench like a Briley Speed Wrench.

Best Regards,

Berettaman7

3. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I posted my questions before any research, as I was excited. I got the Citori Plus manual from the Browning web site. LOP is adjustable from about 14" to 14 1/2", so it's probably set to minimum on the gun I have now. I'm checking on choke wrenches.

Berettaman7 and others, is the adjustable butt also a recoil reducer?

Also, should extended chokes be next on my wish list?

Danny

4. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Danny

The but pad is attached to a recoil device which extends into the stock and works great, extended chokes are an acquired taste, plus your barrels are 32", I did use extended chokes on my plus.

Berettaman7

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I have a Citori Plus O/U. 30" barrels. Very nice gun. My recoil reducer went south on me. I bought a Timney direct replacement. Much better design than the factory. And I had some trigger work done too. I put briley extended chokes in. All and all a very nice gun. Being a lefty this gun, with all of it's adjustments, is perfect for me. Pattern it and Enjoy. Dave

6. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

OK, so here's a good question. There are 3 chokes. They read as follows:

Browning Plus Full Lead Shot Only; Browning Plus Full;
    Browning ImpMod

I assume the two "Plus" models are made for the plus, which has back bored barrels. I also assume the ImpMod is not a plus. Can I used that in this Plus gun? I've screwed it in the top barrel, and it fits ok.

By the way, the top barrel choke was tight coming out, tight on one quadrant and looser on the other. Does that mean anything? The ImpMod was the same way going back in.

Danny

7. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Danny:

Brownings come with two different chokes, the older version is knwon as an Invector and the later version is known as the Invector Plus, the older or regular Invector is shorter than the Invector+, check the markings and lenght of that one choke.

Berettaman7

8. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

BM7,

I did check, they're the same (I'll double check). But the one that didn't say Plus on it went into the barrel and stopped at exactly the same spot as the on that says Plus.

Danny

9. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

That makes it a plus if it did go all the way in unobstructed.

Send me a pic of your gun whenever possible you already have my email.

Berettaman7

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Factory chokes are a crapshoot. Pattern them first, then decide about replacements. If you do decide on replacements, get extended so that you don't need to use a choke wrench and just use your hand. As far as the tightness you mentioned, clean the threads really well, both in the barrel and on your chokes with something like Gumout spray and then lightly oil them and try them again. See if the tightness is a specific barrel (top or botttom) or a specific choke. Hopefully if there is a problem, it is the choke. If it is the barrel, you might have a gunsmith "chase" the threads so that you will be able to hand tighten/loosen your extended chokes (hint,hint). If the barrel has an out-of-round problem it may still not be a real concern if it patterns well. I was never that impressed with the factory Browning chokes in any of my Plus guns, I ended up with Clearviews, but there are a lot of good aftermarket chokes out there.

Back to sentence two, and pay attention to the point of impact (hopefully neither right or left) and pattern shape (hopefully NOT oval). Also, playing with the LOP should start with you adjusting it so that your thumb ends up just a little over an inch from your nose. This may require a different recoil pad, but you may just luck out too.

Also, going from the low ribbed 870 to the high-rib Plus will take time (I did the same switch) but in about 1000 rounds you will make some real progress. You'll be able to shoot 400 bird events with no sweat and consecutive day shoots are just walks in the park. Good luck. You picked a good gun.

11. furface

furface Member

Invector Plus chokes are for barrels bored .740 from the factory. The invector is for a standard barrel bore. Joe

12. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Danny,

shootnclays is right, stay away from chokes not marked invector plus, they may appear to fit but you may be damaging the threads, get some whicha re marked Invector+.

Regards

Berettaman7

13. teleskier

teleskier Member

I just bought several of the Midas Invector Plus chokes which I understand are made by Briley for Browning. I paid $34 each for them. I should receive them this week. Do any of you have experience with these? Any better than the stock Inv.+ chokes? Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.