1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Citori hammer springs question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brdslayr, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Dave, after repeated failure to fire in the bottom barrel of my 16ga Citori I replaced the lower hammer spring with a 12 gauge spring. It was also 1/4in longer than the 16ga spring which is the same part number as a 20 gauge spring. I did not cut it and it has worked perfectly ever since. Good luck. JW

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

NO, they lost there spring in the compressed position. The new springs will look longer because that is the original size of the old spring. They are difficult to install, but they will give you extra pressure needed to funcion the hammers, so you do not have the light hits. Jon

3. smokeater6844

smokeater6844 Member

Copper

I had the springs replaced about a month ago in my citori trap and the spring my gunsmith took out was definately shorter than the new spring. The gun was making light strikes on the bottom barrel and would misfire once in a while. He said that over time they get crushed especially the bottom one with the short throw. He told me to use snapcaps and drop the hammers before storing so they will last longer.

Brian "Robbies Dad"

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

My gunsmith (Browning warranty center, former Browning smith) and I have a very strong suspicion that the added shock caused by heavier aftermarket hammer springs contributed to one of my XTs breaking the hammer axle pin in the bottom barrel at the threads which caused one of the hammer pin mounting lugs to crack, trashing the whole receiver. I wasn't having problems with light strikes. I bought the manufacturer's hype and thought it couldn't hurt to try them. The gun was 4 yrs old at the time and has received annual service (including hammer pin replacement) by the same smith since it was new.

I still have no trouble with light strikes with reloads or factory ammo. I keep the firing pin bores clean of debris. I absolutely won't use anything now but Browning springs and I will change them regularly.

MK

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The springs are under constant pressure. They will take a set. They need to be replaced occasionally. Hammer springs for a Citori are about $4 each.

Jim Skeel

6. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Hammer springs for a Citori are about $4 each."</i></blockquote>Just want to add that the Browning factory sells the springs for half the price the biggest online gun parts retailers sell them for.

Changing springs can be done yourself if you have or make a proper tool to remove the old springs

MK

7. Unknown1

A fork tool will work to take OUT the springs but you'll struggle a bit more to install them, especially gorilla springs, because you have to control both the pressure and the tool angle to keep the guide rod from slipping out of the tool and launching everything into the darkest corner of the room.

A friend of mine made me this tool from a little 4 1/4" long dykes cutter. He ground the circular cut-outs in the jaws with a Dremel and a small carbide bit (cheapo diamond burrs work too).<center>
    [​IMG]    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    </center>

The tool works in the same place the fork tool works, the visible end of the spring guide rod but the tool doesn't clamp onto the rod. Notice that he relieved the edges of the cut outs on the inside of the jaws. The tool is closed over the end of the guide rod and the relieved edges match the cone shape of the end of the rod. All I have to do is pull back to slip the guide rod out of the dimple it fits into in the hammer; it can't escape as long as the tool is held closed.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning citori hammer spring replacement

browning over under hammer spring
changing browning 725 hammer springs
how to install new hammer springs on a browning citori
how to remove hammer spring in browning citori
how to replace browning citori hammer springs
replacing hammer springs in over under shotgun
replacing shotgun hammer springs