1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Citori choke marking

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 12shootertoo, Aug 25, 2013.

1. 12shootertoo

12shootertoo TS Member

I've recently acquired a Browning Citori Grade 1 Trap and am a bit confused about the choke marking. There is only a single marking on the top left side of the mono block *- which indicates IM. Measuring with one of the muzzle guages it shows to be full on the top and IM on the lower barrell. The two are obviously different in constriction. All of the references I have found to Browning choke markings fail to address double barrelled guns with a single marking. Anyone familiar with these guns?
    This is my first post to this forum. Please pardon any protocol I may have overlooked.

2. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

There should be two sets of marks.
    "*"
    "*-"

Could it be a light stamp?

Todd / Illinois

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Your bore gauge is correct for a gun of that type. The *- should be next to the lower barrel, and there should be a * above it for the top barrel. Maybe a gun made on a Monday or a Friday? Mark

4. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Have looked at and have purchased used Browning BT-99 and trap Citoris from time-to-time.

Have always used a dial bore gauge to measure the bore and choke.

Have frequently found that previous owners have had the chokes altered from original factory markings without the barrels being re-marked.

Came across one trap Citori that had one pure cylinder choked barrel (0.000") and one full (0.040").

Have one Browning with one 0.020" choked barrel and one 0.047" barrel.

5. 12shootertoo

12shootertoo TS Member

Thanks for the replies, I have seen the charts for markings in several places. None of them seem to apply to my gun. I have attached a photo of the markings on my gun. You will see the marking for IM on the top left side of the barrel set. There is no hint of another marking as you can see in the photo.
    As I had the bores measured with a bore gauge at the club on Sunday, I am now merely curious about the marking. The top barrel measures .043 and .028 bottom. The single marking seems to represent the correct constriction for the bottom barrel but its location suggests it would refer to the top barrel. At least to me. Any insight to what the marking means and why there is only one would be of great interest to me. Thanks for the input.

Chip Cook

12shootertoo_2013_2208.jpg

6. plux001

plux001 Member

Chip...no disrespect intended...BUT...the marking you are looking at is for the lower barrel. I'll bet you a beer that the top barrel is marked as well. Look DIRECTLY above the marking you found, and you will see the top barrel choke designation is in the bluing. It will be above the ejector. It's there!!!

Paul

7. 12shootertoo

12shootertoo TS Member

Paul
    Thanks for solving my mystery. My girlfried has been telling me I need my eyes checked. Guess she's right!
    Chip

8. plux001

plux001 Member

Lol....Chip, there is only one reason I knew exactly what to tell you. I did the same thing at a gun show. Felt like an idiot when the seller asked me if I wanted to borrow his glasses. By the way...did you take my bet??? Always looking for a free cold one!!! Glad I could help.

Paul

9. 12shootertoo

12shootertoo TS Member

Hey Paul,

I never bet unless it's a sure thing. But, I'd sure spring for the suds. I sure know how you felt at the gun show.I'm actually smarter than I looked with my first inquiry here.

Thanks again for your help.
    Chip

Search tags for this page

browning choke markings

browning choke markings forum

browning citori barrel markings

browning citori choke markings

browning citori choke tube markings
browning shotgun barrel choke markings
browning shotgun choke markings

where are the choke markings on a browning citori