1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning chokes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jape, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jape

jape TS Member

Could i get some different opinons on browning invector plus chokes. I read some threads that say throw them away they are junk. Should i throw mine away and get Brily. I can use all the help i can get. D shooter Thanks

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

One of the guys on our league team bought a BT 99plus. The full choke threw a terrible pattern, and more open than his Briley IM (.025 constriction)from his other gun. The bore was .742 The full choke was .032 constriction the Modified choke was only .012 which is nearly IC. Choke and load can cause different results from different guns. Try it and see. Be sure to match your choke tube constriction with your bore, or at least check it.

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

jape, look at the Briley website, they brag about being an OEM for Browning. I wonder what they provide? Chances are your chokes are fine.

4. KeystoneLight

KeystoneLight TS Member

My experience with factory Browning Plus choke tubes is the Improved Modified works ok for the first shot of doubles and the factory turkey choke works best for singles and handicap.

The Modified choke belongs in the waste can or on a skeet field. Like mentioned above the Modified can be anywhere from .008-.012 restriction in my experience.

stone

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

If you study the Browning website shown above it will become obvious that Browning rates their chokes by a different method than other manufacturers. Browning uses the result pattern in a 30" circle instead of constriction. Browning chokes are not junk but you have to choose the right constriction and ignore designations like Improved Modified because to Browning that means .020 constriction and everybody else thinks .025 is Improved Modified.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Pattern them, Measure them.

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Jape......Take them to your closest landfill. Its possible they might not take them because of the risk of contaminating the OTHER garbage! Then call Briley!

8. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Brownings website states the Midas grade and higher extended tubes will pattern tighter than the invector plus flush chokes, makes you wonder why the supply the flush chokes if they are inferior.My xs came with the diana grade chokes, which suprised me, I thought it would come with the cheaper ones.

9. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

been shooting my bt99 leo special for a long time with no trouble,as far as the size,,yes my dads IM,mics,tighter than the full on my 1100,or beretta 303 full,so it really depends on manufacturer,I use a browning extra full 16-27 yards,and shoot offs,with 7/8oz loads,never had a problem.

10. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

oops sorry,ment to say my dads perazzi ,,,,duhhh gott he holiday bluz!

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Actually pattern them-- not shoot them and guess- not listen to others on here about how bad they pattern (those others havent patterned them - so why listen to rumors?)

You will find out that browning invector choke tubes are as good as any on the market

If you wanted to "improve" them- you might want to put them in a vise and polish the inside until you get them to your satisfaction

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Sold all my factory chokes for around 5.00 each and replaced with Browning Midas grade. These are made for Browning by Briley. Don't know if I shoot better but I can tell you they are MUCH easier to clean. Bryan

13. jape

jape TS Member

Thanks guys for all the pro and cons. I appreciate all the opinions. Guess i am gonna have to experment a little. I have a extra full invector plus. Guess i'll try than in place of the full and see how it patters.

14. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Browning developed the Invector Plus flush mount choke tubes to shoot the percentage of shot in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards, with modern ammo that has a plastic wad & shot cup.

Skeet=50%; IC=55%; Mod=60%; IM=65%; Full=70%.

The problem is that the percentages were developed before the use of the plastic shot-cup wads. So Browning found that they had to have constrictions less than what is considered as the standard amount of constriction.

It would be interesting to see what kind of percentages those that patterned at 40 yards got with the Browning Flush mount and/or the percentages of the after market chokes.

Jason

15. KeystoneLight

KeystoneLight TS Member

jape,

Please post your results with the extra full tube.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning bt99 fixed choke constrictions
browning choke trap
browning choke tubes for trap

browning trap chokes

turkey shooting matches with browning choke tube
what is the best choke tubes it a browning trap gun
what thread is a browning invector choke tube
which browning choke tube should i get