1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Buckmark info?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike K P, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Don't shoot my .45 too much so looking to sell it and pick up a Browning Buckmark to shoot once in a while. Looks like there are a few different models. I'm just looking for a informal target/plinking gun. Any info on these different Buckmark models would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have had a couple and prefer the Buckmark Camper, besides looking really nice it shoots good too. For me the Buckmark is the most accurate 22 pistol I have ever owned. I've got two ruger auto's, a single six, Beretta Neo an S&W that I don't remember the model number of and none are near as accurate for me. Jackie B.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I'm in the process of doing the federal paperwork for a small, light .22 suppressor for a handgun. I need a very reliable pistol for it, and the general consensus is that the Browning Buckmark is utterly reliable and is accurate. The barrel can be easily threaded, or a threaded lightweight barrel can be purchased from Tactical Solutions.

As for the various types of Buckmarks, Browning has certainly left very little lacking in their lineup. They have short barrels, medium barrels, long barrels, light barrels, heavy barrels, aluminum, steel and stainless, plus six different grips, along with scope rails.

If you're doing target work I'd suggest the longest barrel that you'd care to pack around. If you're just plinking, barrel length and weight doesn't matter.

BTW, one big difference when compared to the Ruger Mark I, II or III is that the upper receiver and barrel assembly are the serialized firearm on the Ruger, while the grip frame is the serialized firearm on the Browning. In practical terms this means you have to go through a dealer and file a 4473 when you want another barrel for your Ruger, while for the Buckmark you can mail order another barrel.

As I mentioned, Tactical Solutions makes aftermarket barrels of various lengths and configurations. These come fluted or not flutes, some have the muzzle threaded 1/2"-28 for compensators or suppressors, and in a variety of colors. Some models are fluted after anodizing, so that the flutes are bright silver (too much bling for me). These are aluminum barrels with a steel liner, and are quite accurate. I prefer the factory black plastic or soft rubber grips, but Tactical Solutions also makes anodized aluminum grips in colors to match their barrels. You can build a very unique looking and accurate gun with their parts. The point here is if you go this route, you'll probably want to get one of the less expensive Buckmarks since you'll be replacing the barrel and maybe grips.

[​IMG]

4. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

I bought the target model with adjustable sights/ full rail, and mounted a Bushnell Holosight. Fun to shoot, and if you shoot alot it could pay for itself with the money saved on .45/ other ammo. The trigger was not much to brag about when I first got it but seems to be getting better
    the more I shoot it. I did have a few (a bunch) of misfires with Remington ammo for some reason. I switched to some high velocity Winchester and have not had any more problems. Fun gun and very accurate.

5. Brian in Oregon

Everyone has problems with Remington ammo. Failure to ignite is very common. Remington has the most unreliable rimfire priming of any manufacturer.

Blowin smoke, is your rail an add on part on your barrel? I'm debating about either getting a cheap Buckmark and installing a 4" threaded barrel, or getting the 5.5" target model, then threading the barrel.

The Buckmark I'd really like is the long barreled target model, with the long rail, because the rail could ride over the suppressor for a longer sight radius. But these have been out of production for a while.

6. Brian in Oregon

Here's an article about a Buckmark with a Gemtech suppressor.

A suppressor is nice for rabbits and squirrels while deer hunting, without making a lot of noise.

7. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

Brian, interesting article on suppressors, and also the comment on Remington rimfire ammo. Seems to work fine for the most part in my Ruger MkII, but I would guess at least a 10% failure to fire with Remington ammo in the Buckmark. As I recall, mine is the Contour 5.5 URX with the full length rail. Looks like the 7.5 URX is still advertised on some web sites, but I did not know they were no longer in production. I never really thought much about suppressors, but it is a good idea, and I am sure my neighbors would fully support the idea...

Mike in VA

8. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

BTW, in case I did not answer your question, it is a factory full length rail that is attached by a couple of hex screws and definitely not permanently attached to the barrel. Almost positive the rail on the 7.5 is the same.

9. Brian in Oregon

I'm getting about a 10% failure rate in my S&W Model 41 with Remington ammo, and that certainly ain't a cheap, low quality handgun. No other ammo has ever had a problem in it. I don't remember if any of my revolvers has ever had a problem with Rem rimfire. I can't recall any problems.

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Although I have a Buckmark and enjoy its accuracy and reliability, you may consider keeping your .45 if it is a l9ll type and get a .22 conversion unit for it for plinking (as you indicated in your initial post). Research the reviews for the .22 conversion units before you buy. This way you have both the .45 and .22. Regards, Ed

11. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

When Ammo prices went so high I bought a Buckmark Camper new for less than $350.00. It lets me enjoy a lot more practice. It is a dull finish and not the most attractive pistol in the house, but it is reliable, not too picky about ammo and will beat the paper out of the bullseye as long as I do my part. I am glad I spent my money on it.

12. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

I have several .22 pistols. Without a doubt, the Browning Target Model is the most accurate ,22 I have ever owned or shot. I am sort of finicky about my guns,however, I give the Browning a 100% buy.
    Joe Jordan

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Ditto on the Browning Buckmark. I have varmit 12" barrel, Leupold Scope. Squirrel killer extreme.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning buckmark info

browning buckmark serialized barrel

can i but browning buckmark with short barrel then buy longer barrel

different buckmark models