1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning BT99 AR forend troubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dbl Auto, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

I remember seeing a post on some having trouble with the forends of their BT99 AR trap guns. I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for. I guy that I shoot with has a BT99 AR that he got from Sportsmen's Den in Shelby, Ohio. He has shot it for maybe 2 years. Now the forend gets loose after some shooting. There are screws in the wood that work loose. If any have info on fixes I would love to share them with my buddy. He has 148 out of 150 in three events and loves the gun other than this issue.
    Doug Allison

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The best fix I remember seeing for this issue was a couple of screws that were installed through the forend iron (recessed of course). I don't remember the poster or the gunsmith though.

ss

3. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

I have one (for sale if anyone intersted). I drilled out the hole in the fore stock nearest the receiver, inlet a piece of hardwood dowel, and redrilled for teh screw. I also used adhesive caulk in the dado for the fore stock iron when I reassembled. Seems to be holding up okay. I would not hesitate to use a liquid nails or other strong adhesive in there should it come lose again.

It's a great shooting BT gun - no question. But that fore stock design is poor.

Joe

4. JD Jake

JD Jake Member

This is a problem that exists on all new BT99s, not just the BT99 AR, correct?

5. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I just filled the screw hole with epoxy and put the screw back in and let it set up. I never intend to take it out anyway.

6. Rods Custom Stocks

Rods Custom Stocks Member

To fix the forend I do this,
    Throw the wood screw away and drill out the old hole to accept a threaded insert, Glue the insert in and then Acra Glass the metal to wood. Before you shoot it remove all screws, clean the threads and apply blue Loctite.

30 min. fix not including drying time for the Acra Glass.

.........Rod

7. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Tom Larkin fixed my sons with two screws throught the back of the forend iron.

I recommend him. Great guy to work with.

I'm guessing he's in AZ right now but you can ship it to the gun club.

I have his contact information at home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.