1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning BT 99 Serial # ?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pahunter1, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pahunter1

pahunter1 TS Member

I need someone with experience with BT 99's I am dealing with a guy that has a BT 99. The serial # he gave me was 7D23181 or 7023181 Can anybody help me out? Year made ETC? It is 32 inch, Full choke engraving on the receiver. Non Monte Carlo Thanks ED

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

The Browning website will give you the information - but you will need the correct serial #

Rich

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Click on the link above. It should give you all you need to know to date your BT99.

As Rich said above, you will need the correct serial number to have the correct date.

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

From that I would guess it was 72D3181. 1972 BT-99. Flat shooter. The gun I shot my first 25 with. Just bought another one last week. Just felt like I wanted to hold and shoot one for oldtimes sake.

5. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

The number you gave is not a serial number that Browning used. On the older BT's the first two numbers were the year they were built. I think in 1976 they started using letters to designate the year of manufacture.

6. kene

kene TS Member

FYI the commonly used information that early BT-99 serial numbers start with their year of manufacture [e.g. - 73 for 1973] followed by D is not totally correct. in many cases [two of my own guns] the first numbers are reversed 37 for 1973. verified this with a call to the Browning customer service folks -- gave them my serial number [37D#####] and they came back with 1973 and an off hand statement about the numbers being reversed. when they went to using letters to indicate year of manufacture [RR, RP, etc] I think that what is on the website is correct.

7. Stl Flyn

Kene,

That is correct, as I have had those guns with that reversed serial number. If I remeber, the serial number was first though followed by the D and the reversed numbers. Example, 1234D27 = Serial number 1234, D = BT-99, 27 = 1972 manufactured. It is stated in the Date your Browning section that this was done on the Citori's I believe, but not in the BT-99 section.

8. kene

kene TS Member

Stl -- thought that my dyslexia had kicked in after I read your post so just wnet and looked at my BT-99 -- S/N is 37D##### -- so could be that the serial numbers do not all follow the factory "standard" [was made in Japan so perhaps something got lost in translation???]

9. Stl Flyn

They must of had a few different people in charge of serial numbers, and they could each apply there own ideas as to what they thought should be.

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

To much Sake the night before................

Wayne

11. Stl Flyn

Oh, for Pete's Saké!

Is that word (Sake) in need of an accent symbol. I always wondered how to do that, and if it is possible on this forum?

Just figured it out. What a PITA. You have to use the copy and paste method.

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Stl Flyn, How can any BT be a "flat shooter" when the rear of the rib is considerably higher than the front?

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Stl Flyn, I could have spelled it Saki which is a common spelling too. To get the "é", use the Alt key code 0233. Check the web site above.

Johnny, even though a lot of trap guns shoot flat (50-50) with a tapered rib, they are in fact shooting 4" high at 40 yards. Size 7-1/2 shot at 1200 fps., drops 3.7" at 40 yards.

Wayne

14. Stl Flyn

Wayneo,

I tried that method first as I had looked up how to on the net. It would not work though. I just read the links instructions and it says it will only work if you use the numbered key pad. The other information left that out. Now I can spell resumé and Saké much more quickly. Thanks

Johnny,

Those early year BT-99's where probably the flatest shooting SBT gun made. Partly because of no monte carlo stock. Compared to the next model version that displayed year by letters (RR, RP), also called the competition model, with larger forend and monte carlo stock, the earlier version was a flat shooter. Flat being what Wayne referred to above.

Jon

15. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Stl Flyn, based on wayneo's description all BT-99's with the same rib will shoot the same, independent of the shooter. I don't think I have ever noticed a BT with a different rib. The RR and RP are always referred to as high shooters. Do they actually have a higher rib? If not , they will shoot to the same poi as other BT's, independent of the shooter. By bringing the monte carlo stock into the picture you add a variable. The higher stock will create a space between the beads to get a higher POI with no change in the metal. A guy with a size 8 hat will say all BT's are very high shooters. I am trying to determine if the so called "high shooters" have a higher rib or do they simply add space between the beads.

16. Stl Flyn

Johnny,

That is why the RR,RP guns shoot higher. The monte carlo stock puts your cheek higher,and the butt stock lower, plus you have the larger forend creating more space between the hand and barrel. If they all had the same rib hight, you are correct there would be a space between the beads. I think the barrels, and ribs are the same. I have owned both but never really looked at the ribs to see if there was a difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning bt 99 high shooters serial number
browning bt 99 serial number
browning bt 99 serial number lookup
browning bt 99 serial numbers
bt-99 serial number rr199
bt99 serial number
date your browning bt 99

what serial numbers are the browning bt high shooters